Is GL-5 rated gear oil ok to use in differential of auto tranny?

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I recently changed the differential fluid in my car with Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. It is GL-5 rated. From what I've read GL-5 is ok to use in an auto differential but not in an manual transaxle.
I just want to make sure I am not doing any harm to my differential.

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
C'mon guys, can anyone comment on the above?

Also, it appears that I have a slow leak at the driver's side axle seal which may have been caused by switching to Mobil 1. Would it help if I switch to a different gear lube, or am I stuck with replacing the axle seal?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Drain the Mobil and go back to the EXACT OEM fluid that was in there. Maybe the leak will stop.

--Nate

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
stancho said:
I recently changed the differential fluid in my car with Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. It is GL-5 rated. From what I've read GL-5 is ok to use in an auto differential but not in an manual transaxle.
I just want to make sure I am not doing any harm to my differential.
Yes, GL-5 is the stuff normally specified for differentials.

The aftermarket information I have suggests that VW recommends G052-145 in the differential portion of your automatic transmission. This is a synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 fluid.

I would be very surprised to find that changing to any fluid would cause the seal leak. I suspect coincidence.