American Versus Canadian Diesel

ManuelGogolin

TDI
Jetta 1998 porcelain blue
I recently filled up in the states ( i live in BC Canada right by the border) when I went shopping, and my car was not happy. It ran like crap, no power, horrid efficiency and it smoked ( my car has never smoked ). I must say that despite it being cheaper to fill up it was not worth the loss in performance or economy!

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I recently filled up in the states ( i live in BC Canada right by the border) when I went shopping, and my car was not happy. It ran like crap, no power, horrid efficiency and it smoked ( my car has never smoked ). I must say that despite it being cheaper to fill up it was not worth the loss in performance or economy!
And what station did you fill up at? Did it look as though trucks (whether it be f350s or tractor trailers) could fill up there easily?

If you're gonna say things like that, for fruitcakes sake, back it the flush up. Many of us use "american" diesel, and it runs just fine, no smoke etc.

Please, just provide details. Maybe it's the maple syrup that makes your engines run better

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Typically Canadian....everything is better up North.
??? - not sure if that comment is warranted. I'm Canadian and no everything is not better up here ........... maybe just answer the question or put forth an experience and leave the comments to yourself.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
On a recent trip to the USA, I also found that my car smoked more and did not run as well as it does on our Sunoco or Shell fuel or on the Topia biodiesel. I don't remember what brand of fuel we used.

Could this have anything to do with the US temporarily suspending the fuel quality standards in order to let the hurricane-affected refineries get going again?

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
I've filled up several times at the truck stop by Parish NY over the past several months (but not since Katrina), and I haven't found any diffence to be honest.... so that could back up the theory that the quality has been recently reduced?

Hemi345

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Jetta Dark Blue 5-speed
My last tank of diesel has seemed to smoke more for no apparent reason. I keep thinking some new problem has manifested when I see the smoke. It was the same truck stop off of I-40 that I get Mobil diesel from every time. There may be a link between the refinery issues and our fuel quality. I doubt they are rejecting any fuel that is marginal or a little out of standards in the current situation.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Maybe it is more like every storage tank is being drained now, and older fuels are being run through straight instead of being blended with fresh product.

Or, maybe not.

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
You must be very unlucky. I live right across the border from you, 20 miles north of Bellingham. I have never experienced any of the symptoms you describe. I can't tell any difference between diesel I've bought in BC vs. stateside and my mileage is pretty much the same regardless of where I get it. Where did you fill up?

ManuelGogolin

TDI
Sorry if any derogatory implications came with my opening of this posting, that was not my intent. I filled up at a Shell station in Blaine WA, it was under a covered fill-station and did not appear to intended for truck use. The difference in Canadian to US Diesel is...(quote from Environment Canada)
Environment Canada is considering potential amendments to the Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations that would add minor flexibility to facilitate the 2006 introduction of lower sulphur diesel fuel for on-road use. The flexibility would align with a change that the U.S. EPA has announced to allow a slightly higher limit of 22 mg/kg.
So the sulphur levels, whether or not that had anything to do with it I dont imagine so. I do run into a sluggish batch of diesel in Canada as well, especially when fueling at petrocan or supersave, i like to stick to Shell's premium grade diesel, i find that often I get optimal performace when running that. Its hard to find and not many stations accomadate more than one brand or diesel. Are there various levels of diesel available in the US as well? IM not familiar. THnks and sry about sounding derogatory!

DrewD

Veteran Member
No problem. My response was inappropriate but made in the light that one of my professors in school is Canadian and he's constantly telling us how things are always better.

I thought of him when I saw your post and meant no personal insult to you or your country. If things were significantly better in the USA, I guess our illegal alien problem with be from the North also.

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
No offense taken.

I fill up at the same Shell every now and then.

I think the sulphur content you refer to won't apply until ULSD becomes available in 2006. Currently Canada mandates 500mg/kg and in 2006 it will be 15mg/kg. link From your information it sounds like Canada will accept 22mg/kg to match the US specs which is still way less than the current 500mg/kg you get in Canada. I don't think ULSD is common on either side of the border yet but I may be wrong.

My Canadian friends have told me for years that their gasoline has a better formulation. There may be something to that but again, I've never noticed a difference.

If you're interested, there is an Exxon station on the Bakerview exit in Bellingham that now carries B20 biodiesel for a little more than regular diesel.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
One can get a bad batch of diesel anywhere. I think it has to do with the water content. Never fill up if the tanker is filling the storage tanks as it stirs up the water at the bottom of the tank. Diesel in the US is almost as expensive as Canada now, and we have no universal medical care.

ManuelGogolin

TDI
When is the ULSD expected to hit the open market in Canada? I know its in 2006, but is there a set quater that we should expect its arrival? Will it serve as the only kind of diesel (the industry standard) available or will it be alongside regular sulphur containing diesel?

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I read that the oil companies are trying to get the lower sulphur standard postponed. Given the current shortage, it most likely will be granted. I'm not sure about Canada.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
I filled up at a Shell station in Blaine WA, it was under a covered fill-station and did not appear to intended for truck use. The difference in Canadian to US Diesel is...(quote from Environment Canada)
The fuel you normally get in Canada comes from Alberta, and a refinery in Alberta most likely. The fuel you got in Blaine most likely came from a Ferndale WA refinery from Alaskan crude. They were probably refined to the same standard, but that standard permits alot difference in the actual chemical make up of the fuels. However its most likely that it was old, stale, fuel. Travel 20 miles into USA away from the border and the fuel is alot cheaper than at Blaine. I would never buy fuel in Blaine for that reason, the locals will buy their fuel further South, wouldnt they?

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
I would never buy fuel in Blaine for that reason, the locals will buy their fuel further South, wouldnt they?
I agree, Whatcom County has the highest fuel prices. I believe the next county south, Skagit, is a bit cheaper. It doesn't make sense that our fuel is more expensive since we have two refineries here.

Regarding the freshness of the fuel, I think the Yorky's Exxon truck stop in Blaine moves a lot of diesel. They have one pump on the truck side that is made for cars and light trucks.

nickleinonen

you don't even need to go difference between american and canadian diesel fuel. there can be enough difference between canadian diesel fuel stations. my truck doesn't like petrocanada diesel. gets crap economy and power on it, but runs great on shell, esso, sunoco...??? our gas cars seem to run worse on petrocanada gasoline too... i rarely fill there now just for the few bad experiences i have had there..

Oryx

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a 2003 Golf TDI.
When is the ULSD expected to hit the open market in Canada? I know its in 2006, but is there a set quater that we should expect its arrival? Will it serve as the only kind of diesel (the industry standard) available or will it be alongside regular sulphur containing diesel?

May 31 2006 in Canada.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I'll vouch for Petrocanada being utter crap, stay away! Cost me a few days for my car to thaw out last winter too GRRRR!!! Ultimately a fuel injection pump...