Entire TDI family named "Worst Foreign Car Engine Of All Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If it were possible to total them all, I would bet that there have been and are more cheat devices for gasoline engines than TDI engines that have been built, let alone had cheat devices installed. The first cheat device I saw was way back in college when I observed a guy using a short adapter so that he could fill his unleaded gasoline tank with leaded gasoline. Both were available at the time. (Have fun trying to date me with that little trivia tidbit! ;) )

Cheers,

PH

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If it were possible to total them all, I would bet that there have been and are more cheat devices for gasoline engines than TDI engines that have been built, let alone had cheat devices installed. The first cheat device I saw was way back in college when I observed a guy using a short adapter so that he could fill his unleaded gasoline tank with leaded gasoline. Both were available at the time. (Have fun trying to date me with that little trivia tidbit! ;) )

Cheers,

PH
I don't remember having issues with different sized nozels between leaded and unleaded gasoline. The main issue was the catalytic converter that would become blocked and stop exhaust flow. Quick fix was chopping it out and straight piping the exhaust. I didn't do it, but it was done to the car I owned.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The introduction of unleaded first saw the use of a smaller hole in the fuel filler access of the gas tank. Yes, of course the lead will kill the catalyst ('poison' is the verb used by chemists), which is why they wanted to make it difficult as possible to introduce leaded gas into an unleaded only car.

Cheers,

PH

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Emissions are a real thing. It takes time for bio-accumulation. That said, I wonder what the NET pollution is from all the energy that went into the engineering and manufacturing of emission equipment. Those engaged in all this extra activity consumed energy, emitted pollution, in the process. And then there's the repairs and replacement parts. I don't know what the answer is. I DO know, however, that we cannot use "efficiency" to get us out of "trouble" as "efficiency" always leads to increased overall consumption: see Jevons Paradox. We live on a finite planet. Perpetual growth (consumption) isn't possible.

I jumped in here at the last page. Didn't read from the start, did not read the article. I can state that I have no interest in driving anything other than my ALH-powered MKIVs: I've notched up a couple more 800+ mile tanks- I am pretty sure I could hit 900 miles if I got out on the highway and just drove as far as I could. My car is averaging 51.2 mpg over the span of 87k miles (since I've owned it) and has never left me stranded (had a starter fail on me [I botched the rebuild on the starter- MY fault!], but my car's a manual so was able to compression start it). And on all such cars I've had (have had four at one time, now only two) there's never been a stranding (well, wife had a flat tire- I think she drove off from home with it that way!).

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I don't remember having issues with different sized nozels between leaded and unleaded gasoline. The main issue was the catalytic converter that would become blocked and stop exhaust flow. Quick fix was chopping it out and straight piping the exhaust. I didn't do it, but it was done to the car I owned.
The catalytic converters hit big in 1975 cars. My dad bought a 1977 AMC Hornet and, even though it had the restrictor and a unleaded only sticker, it did not come with a converter.

aellen

TDI
jetta 06
I think the castration VW got over the diesels was just another example of rabid government EPA out of control. Do you know they dont answer to anyone?? and sometime 15 years ago they decided the lowly lawnmower engine was a major polluter..,?? really gone insane. Sitll a diesel fan, best kept secret anywhere

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Worked out great for me, I got a new 2016 TREG TDI fixed for my 6yr old TDI and $1500. I'll take that trade any day. Hope they screw something else up so I can get another TDI on the cheap. Best engine I've ever had and I've had plenty of good ones.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Incorrect.

Emissions cheat devices are responsible for far more premature deaths.
In theory....and I would ask for your evidence. Saying a thing (over and over) doesn't necessarily make it true.

OTOH we know for a fact that GM killed people through negligence, that's not even debatable.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

Cheers,

PH
You can add that cheat devices for other ICE too, like the motorcycle shops that have been replacing (eliminating) catalysts on bikes under the radar too.

Steve

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
In theory....and I would ask for your evidence. Saying a thing (over and over) doesn't necessarily make it true.

OTOH we know for a fact that GM killed people through negligence, that's not even debatable.

Steve

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I acknowledge MIT as a knowledgeable source. But even their lead line says "will likely cause", so it's still an educated guesstimate. Again, one with some chops behind it, but still just an estimate.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Better yet just remove the guts by breaking/removing the converters guts up (honey comb insides) or unscrewing the pipe plug on a Gm. converter let the oxidizing pellets out. That and a bb in the Egr vacuum hose to eliminate egr. Oh simpler times, ha

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Probably predictable reactions, but agree/disagree? Comment below.
https://www.thethings.com/ranking-the-best-foreign-car-engines-of-all-time-and-the-worst/ (scroll to bottom of the article if tl;dr)
From what the author of that post wrote, I feel like he's a whiny little b***h.

That said, I'm surprised he didn't mention the GMC 6.5/6.2L, International/Ford 6.4L and 6.0L, or the Caterpillar 3208. Those engines are far worse than any TDI. Oh, and the 1.5L in the B1 Dasher. That was also junk as well!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
From what the author of that post wrote, I feel like he's a whiny little b***h.

That said, I'm surprised he didn't mention the GMC 6.5/6.2L, International/Ford 6.4L and 6.0L, or the Caterpillar 3208. Those engines are far worse than any TDI. Oh, and the 1.5L in the B1 Dasher. That was also junk as well!
I can't say that I read the whole piece, but it does seem that the author had a bee in his bonnet due to dieselgate. The non VW diesels you mention were neither foreign nor found in cars- so there's that.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I can't say that I read the whole piece, but it does seem that the author had a bee in his bonnet due to dieselgate. The non VW diesels you mention were neither foreign nor found in cars- so there's that.
Haha, boot to the head for forgetting what the title said. Not foreign nor found in cars, but they were still s#!t.

You know what Ben? I'm surprised they didn't mention the craptastic 1.6L in the Mini Cooper. I know half a dozen mechanics who'll tell you the best repair for those motors is to buy a new motor.

I'd also say the V10 PD TDI is bad, as well.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Forget auto pollution the wonderful west coast is burning to the ground and creating hundreds of thousands of tons more pollution than the last 5yrs of auto use. Poor political management is the cause and no one on the liberal press will say it. Worry about some really big issues,not wind farms and solar which don't work when you need it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The West coast is burning because we've pumped so much CO2 and CH4 into the atmosphere that the climate is warming out of control. More wind farms and solar are exactly what we need.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I lived in LA 40yrs ago and everyone was crazy back then ,somethings only get worse. The traffic jams are at the border leaving to go to AZ,TX,FL ET AL. There's no turning back hope you don't live there.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I lived in LA 40yrs ago and everyone was crazy back then ,somethings only get worse. The traffic jams are at the border leaving to go to AZ,TX,FL ET AL. There's no turning back hope you don't live there.
Apparently Florida has a new 'Florida man' to keep the rest of us entertained. (y)

But seriously, what is it about a state 3000 miles away from you that has you posting your political trash in this forum? Do they owe you money?
That's what I call pollution!

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
It snowed in Colorado yesterday. So far so good in FL 3 hurricanes 2 cat 4s and we are still above water ,nice try.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The smart money on the Gulf Coast shoreline is on stilts, 15-20'. Mind you I drove through Mexico City Beach about 5 months after they got hit. Wasn't much of anything left standing, let alone the icecaps melting. Florida only averages
something like 5-6' above sea level. In the short term hurricanes are a roll of the dice, long term the seas are rising.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's been said many times on here that the European new engine testing doesn't mean anything for us until it's tested as a North Amerian capable commercial release.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I just noticed - why isn't the Hyundai/Kia Theta engine listed here? Maybe they think that having engines that seize or catch fire is a good asset...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The smart money on the Gulf Coast shoreline is on stilts, 15-20'. Mind you I drove through Mexico City Beach about 5 months after they got hit. Wasn't much of anything left standing, let alone the icecaps melting. Florida only averages
something like 5-6' above sea level. In the short term hurricanes are a roll of the dice, long term the seas are rising.
We were in Mexico Beach before the previous damage. I think in 2015 when we bought Donna’s TDI and drove it home. My first view of houses on stilts and cars beneath. Also first trip in a TDI. Instantly decided it was the Best engine ever made, can’t believe everything you hear, read, or see

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Worked for a company many years back that built in new plant in the Mexico City area. Everyone gave the engineer a bad time about the 18 foot stilts under it. Two years after construction, the flood level hit 18' 3". Just a little mud to clean up but no plant or equipment damage. Stilts are there for a reason.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
A friend of mine moved to St Pete’s the year Katrina hit.The expected storm surge was a foot higher than where he was at, so he headed north. Turned out to be right where the storm ended up going. That’s when he found out all the storms split and go right by that area

Status
Not open for further replies.