VCDS No response from Contoller, but SnapOn code reader works

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
A customer has a 99.5 TDI golf, we were unable to scan his car using VCDS with his original ECU, a tuned ECU was installed and we are still unable to scan the car with VCDS, the only message we get is, "No response from controller"

The only time I've seen this happen before was with a bad cluster.
Any thoughts?
:confused::confused::confused:

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
When you plug the interface up to the OBDII port of the car, what does the LED light do?

Start VCDS, what version are you running?

Click on [Options], then [Test], what are ALL of the results of the Port Test while connected to this vehicle?

Just so everyone knows, all of our registered users can call us for free product support if they are having communication issues.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Snap On most likely is just accessing the generic [useless] OBD2 side of things, which goes straight into the watered down part of the engine controller, not through the K-line like the native VAG version (and VCDS) would use.

The K-line would go through the Instrument cluster, correct. Check all the fuses first, though.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The aftermarket radio problem? Or would the Snap-On tool not work either?

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Odd, and almost the opposite of what my truck does. (2002 ALH in a Ranger) My VCDS connects and works flawlessly, but I tried to add one of those digital gauge units(scangauge II) and it won't connect.

cheeze you

TDI
99.5 Stage 3 Golf TDI (VNT 17), MKVI JSW TDI.
When you plug the interface up to the OBDII port of the car, what does the LED light do?

Start VCDS, what version are you running?

Click on [Options], then [Test], what are ALL of the results of the Port Test while connected to this vehicle?

Just so everyone knows, all of our registered users can call us for free product support if they are having communication issues.
Led turns green.

Version 11.11

Test yields such:

Port status: ok
USB library version: 03.01.19
USB driver version: 02.06.01

Interface: Found!

Type: Ross-Tech HEX-USB+CAN
Version: 1.92
K1: short to +12
K2: OK
Can: not ready.

Just got off the phone with Ross-Tech guy on the phone said I need to be subscribed to your phone support and also since I don't own the VCDS cable and it is a loan from a friend he couldn't help me.

Thanks,
-Scott.

cheeze you

TDI
The Snap On most likely is just accessing the generic [useless] OBD2 side of things, which goes straight into the watered down part of the engine controller, not through the K-line like the native VAG version (and VCDS) would use.

The K-line would go through the Instrument cluster, correct. Check all the fuses first, though.
Attempted to pull fuse 11(cluster fuse) didn't change anything.

Thanks,
-Scott.

cheeze you

TDI
Odd, and almost the opposite of what my truck does. (2002 ALH in a Ranger) My VCDS connects and works flawlessly, but I tried to add one of those digital gauge units(scangauge II) and it won't connect.
2002 ALH in a Ranger? Best of both worlds. I have a 2000 ranger that just rolled over 200k never had any problems with it.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
K1: short to +12
There is the issue, is should read K1: OK. Most of the time this is due to an aftermarket radio (as noted above). We have more information on this on our web site:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

The short version... is terminal #3 of the black power plug on connected to the aftermarket radio wiring harness? If so, cut the wire on the aftermarket radio harness and tape it off.

Just to clarify, registered Ross Tech customers can contact Ross Tech directly for support. If a Ross Tech customer loans his interface to a friend, that is fine, but said friend is not a Ross Tech customers and does not qualify for support directly from Ross Tech (phone or email).

Registered users can get free product support directly from Ross Tech over the phone. Product support is to help our customers to get the software and hardware up and running so they can communicate with a vehicle (this OP's issue here would fall under product support). Anything beyond that is vehicle support, which is a fee based service over the phone. Ross Tech still has free support for our customers via email.

Questions on forums like this, we don't mind helping out some one who is borrowing an interface from one of our customers. We hope that people will see the value in being a Ross Tech customer (in terms of support and the product itself) and make the small investment to purchase the best tool on the market. [/small sales pitch off]

:)

Last edited:

cheeze you

TDI
There is the issue, is should read K1: OK. Most of the time this is due to an aftermarket radio (as noted above). We have more information on this on our web site:

The short version... is terminal #3 of the black power plug on connected to the aftermarket radio wiring harness? If so, cut the wire on the aftermarket radio harness and tape it off.
Awesome, worked just like you said.
Now I've gotta adjust the IQ level.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

Just to clarify, registered Ross Tech customers can contact Ross Tech directly for support. If a Ross Tech customer loans his interface to a friend, that is fine, but said friend is not a Ross Tech customers and does not qualify for support directly from Ross Tech (phone or email).

Registered users can get free product support directly from Ross Tech over the phone. Product support is to help our customers to get the software and hardware up and running so they can communicate with a vehicle (this OP's issue here would fall under product support). Anything beyond that is vehicle support, which is a fee based service over the phone. Ross Tech still has free support for our customers via email.

Questions on forums like this, we don't mind helping out some one who is borrowing an interface from one of our customers. We hope that people will see the value in being a Ross Tech customer (in terms of support and the product itself) and make the small investment to purchase the best tool on the market. [/small sales pitch off]

For a real treat, call Dell's or Micro$oft's customer support. Not even close to the excellent support RossTech provides.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Jeff thank you very much for helping my customer, really appreciate it!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
+++1 to Jeff for his product and support.