2 questions about a beetle alarm and backup lights

Diesel Junkie

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
First question I was wanting to try to install some round backup lights on 2001 Jetta TDI rear bumper. Has anyone done this or had the rear bumper off to see if this is possible. The second is my fathers NB alarm will sometimes still be engaged when unlocking the doors. He does not have his remote so I can't see if that still works. At the same time that happens the passenger door will not unlock from the drivers side and his interior buttons for the door lock does not work, and sometimes the interior lights don't come on. It doesn't seem to happen under any particular situation or fix itself under any particular situation. I don't think this is relevant but he said his trunk release hasn't worked for months now. I have replaced the fuse as a shot in the dark and no change but have not torn into the door yet. Any input appreciated. Thanks DJ

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I assume you have a newer NB as the older ones did have the round backup lights in the rear valance. The rear bumper cover comes off fairly easily. Remove the taillights, remove rear wheels, remove a gazillion torx screws in the wheelwells (including removing the wheel well liners) and a couple of 10mm nuts and electrical connectors and off it comes. I would investigate the possibility of mounting flat, square halogen "driving lights" from the aftermarket shelf underneath the rear valance before I started cutting holes.

As for you car alarm: the likely reason is a failing microswitch and/or bad solder contacts in the door lock switch. I feel generous, so I searched for the thread; here is the link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77648

When you have your rear bumper cover off, the Beetle looks like this:

Then I got to mount my VERY COOL euro-spec OEM TRAILER HITCH!!!

Last edited:

Diesel Junkie

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
Thanks Cattlerepairman, I was thinking it was probably a problem like that on the beetle, just wanted some assurance before I travel 4 hours and tear the door apart in the snow. As for the backup lights I told you the wrong car. I am an idiot, the backup lights I want to install in my 2001 Jetta TDI. Sorry for the confusion.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Diesel Junkie said:
Thanks Cattlerepairman, I was thinking it was probably a problem like that on the beetle, just wanted some assurance before I travel 4 hours and tear the door apart in the snow. As for the backup lights I told you the wrong car. I am an idiot, the backup lights I want to install in my 2001 Jetta TDI. Sorry for the confusion.
:) No problem. I got to post pictures of my COOL HITCH! lol