Upgrading from ALH to BEW

09wingates

TDI
2002 Beetle ALH Manual
So I know the difference between the engines already. I currently drive a 02 Beeetle ALH 5spd with 288k on the clock. Came across a 2005 Beetle BEW 5spd with 157k for a good price. Car looks in great shape etc just curious what everyone’s opinion is if it’s worth the upgrade. My current interior is pretty raggy but my drivetrain is solid as a rock and consistently gets 42 to 44 mpg highway. Thanks

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I think you can buy new interior parts for a reasonable price, if that's the only issue with your current car.

However, if you just want something a little newer then I can think of no reason not to get the 2005 Beetle.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If the problem with your car is the interior is ragged, I would fix that. Especially as you say your current drivetrain is solid and you get good fuel economy. The devil you know, and all that.

We had a 2000 NB TDI (ALH) and I still have my 2006 Golf TDI (BEW). While the Golf is definitely peppier to drive, the durability and longevity of a properly maintained ALH is effectively unmatched by any TDI engine since then. With a set of nozzles and a mild tune, you could easily match a BEW with a mild tune.

The BEW has cam issues to worry about - while some have had catastrophic issues, mine has been fine with 340k km on the clock, but I have owned it since new. Replacement of the cam appears to have solved the issues due to manufacturing defects, and Franko6 has even come up with some cam bearing oiling mods that appear to help longevity.

Otherwise the drivetrain, suspension & interiors are the same.

09wingates

TDI
2002 Beetle ALH Manual
The interior in my current ride doesn't bother me as its only a commuter. I guess the only reasoning I had to upgrade was lower miles, and slightly newer car. I doubt I will upgrade honestly, more of just a thought at this point. I appreciate the info.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
We have a Jetta with the BRM. Must use proper Euro spec oil in it, or you will grind the cam, since the cam also produces the pressure to inject the fuel into the cylinder. BEW same way. Do not use Mobil1, or other typical synthetics sold at the parts stores.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I sold my last ALH and replaced it with an 04 Jetta BEW with 270k miles on it and other than routine maintenance it has been a stellar car.