Long cranking time once warm

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have an '04 Beetle with a BEW and DSG and since the weather has changed to the cold, my car has a hard time starting once warmed up. Cold with 3 glow plug warm ups it starts within 2 seconds. Drive it 10+ miles and it will take 5 to 10 seconds to start and I usually have to press on the go pedal to get it to start. Runs fine once started. It has a good battery and is turning 250 to 300 rpm's by the tach. 30 minutes sitting still it fires just like cold in less than 2 seconds. Clean filters (fuel and air) and the VCDS says -2.5 on the timing once warmed up. All summer it was fine. Any suggestions?

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
good question. i am having the same issue with my 99 alh. once warm she just takes a bit to start. always does but takes a bit. and a touch of the pedal seems to help as well.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
good question. i am having the same issue with my 99 alh. once warm she just takes a bit to start. always does but takes a bit. and a touch of the pedal seems to help as well.

On a 99 this is a software bug on vws part that they refuse to admit to and fix. The OP is having a different issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well the info is "reflash to latest software", so....

And even that really was passed by after the whole glow plug fiasco, which would require the latest software update anyway.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I have an '04 Beetle with a BEW and DSG and since the weather has changed to the cold, my car has a hard time starting once warmed up. Cold with 3 glow plug warm ups it starts within 2 seconds. Drive it 10+ miles and it will take 5 to 10 seconds to start and I usually have to press on the go pedal to get it to start. Runs fine once started. It has a good battery and is turning 250 to 300 rpm's by the tach. 30 minutes sitting still it fires just like cold in less than 2 seconds. Clean filters (fuel and air) and the VCDS says -2.5 on the timing once warmed up. All summer it was fine. Any suggestions?
Mine does that, the car isn't warm, and its not cold enough for the GP's, so I have crank with the go pedal at WOT and she fires up after 5-10 secs of cranking. I just chalk it up to not being hot enough to fire on its own, cylinder are too cold.

Well the info is "reflash to latest software", so....
And even that really was passed by after the whole glow plug fiasco, which would require the latest software update anyway.
Dealer only thing or can the tuners update the software?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The tuners should have access to the latest flash file, yes. And of course they will need to know which voltage plugs it has.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Could a faulty coolant temperature sensor be the problem?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The tuners should have access to the latest flash file, yes. And of course they will need to know which voltage plugs it has.
Thanks. :cool: