2012 Passat TDI gets 43 MPG?

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
I read that too. I'm not sure because it sounds like the TDI is the same CR 2.0TDI that's in ours. I would expect the transmission gearing to be the same too. Maybe VW has tweaked the ECU firmware a bit. Perhaps slightly better aerodynamics? I thought aero wasn't accounted for in the EPA's measurements, though I could be mistaken.

FWIW, the '10 Golf TDI was rated at 41 mpg hwy, and the '11 Golf TDI is rated for 42 mpg hwy, both with 6mt. The DSG equipped Golf's haven't changed ratings AFAIK.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
that's VW feeling on what the mileage should be, they also said the Mk5 2009 CRD would get 50MPG at press release. It was when the EPA rated at 40MPG did they complain and had it retested, i forget who and didn't that come back at 45mpg.

So I could see how the passat would test very close, but no way is the EPA gonna slap a sticker stating 43mpg on it.

BTW is this the only TDI powerplant VW can come up with to meet the US emissions? I know it takes a lot of coin to pass all the paperwork and i guess they want to get every penny out of it but seriously this will be 3 different "platforms" the CRD is in. Hopefully they will work out all the FUD from it by the time this reaches the showrooms.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
They could be running adblue (due to the heavier vehicle size) which may lessen the need for fuel burn catalyst regens which waste fuel??

Also, it is unlikely the gearing is the same... Its a bigger car and almost certainly will be geared differently

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
They could be running adblue (due to the heavier vehicle size) which may lessen the need for fuel burn catalyst regens which waste fuel??

Also, it is unlikely the gearing is the same... Its a bigger car and almost certainly will be geared differently
This is only a guess, for it is hard to tell from the PR. I have read in passing that BorgWarner has a new dry clutch packs/ 7 speed DSG with more power handling capacity. Now I don't know if they REALLY changed the power handling capacity but the extra speed is probably the deal maker boosting the mpg from 40 to 43 EPA.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
I would post the entire press release, but it's painfully long, just like all German automaker press releases :p

Here's the important snippet:
WOLFSBURG said:
The quiet, four cylinder 2.0L TDI Clean Diesel (140 hp/236 lb.-ft.) has the power of a six cylinder gasoline engine and the fuel economy of a hybrid. The Passat TDI is expected to deliver 43 miles per gallon on the highway, with a range of approximately 800 miles. Volkswagen's TDI clean diesel engines, which come with a NOx storage catalytic converter, are among the cleanest engines in the world, fulfilling emissions requirements in all 50 states. Optional on the Passat TDI will be Volkswagen's legendary 6-speed DSG transmission.
No mention of urea-injection anywhere in the press release, strict mention of the 6 speed DSG being optional, "expected" 43 mpg hwy, and it must be about a 18.6 gallon tank to get the approx 800 mile alleged range.

The 3.6L VR6 is rated at 258 Lb/Ft peak, which incidentally is the same peak torque rating as the Golf GTD and Golf R. My money is on the DSG 'box being identical to those. VW isn't going to spend a dollar more than needed to push the Passat into its new/cheaper price range.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The other thing is the 09 MY DPF used an unknown quantity of fuel to process soot. I understand the DPF was redesigned starting MY 10 and uses an unknown quantity of less fuel to process soot. Might be where the 1/2 mpg savings were "put"

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I will buy one and retire my 2005 Passat TDI wagon if it comes with the following:

Manual transmission,
2.0 TDI,
Urea injection,
Resolved HPFP issues,

and,

around $25K

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will buy one and retire my 2005 Passat TDI wagon if it comes with the following:

Manual transmission,
2.0 TDI,
Urea injection,
Resolved HPFP issues,

and,

around $25K
With as much small % controversy that VW has had with the 09,10,11 MY HPFP's,they would be TOTALLY remiss IF they used the SAME set up with the Chattanooga, TN Passats with the goal of 800,000 + units over all.

Something tells me not to put it past them.:eek:

masterflex164

Veteran Member
TDI
It will be coming with urea, us on VWvortex have figured that much out. It was on VW's MY12 Passat Blog.

I, for one, am really excited to see how this car turns out. Looking to trade in my JSW TDI in the future. If VW offers a Passat Variant with the TDI, the JSW TDI would be gone even sooner

And on a side note, it looks quite good in dark colors

I love this dark red color

WEC4104

TDI
-
If they were to build this thing in a sportwagen body style, with the TDI, a 6M trans, and the 18.6 gal tank, sign me up. A back seat with legroom and and upgraded stereo system? Sign me up! I'm willing to to concede a little mileage (39 highway or greater) and let the sticker float close to 30K. HPFP issues or not, I'd buy the dang thing!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
adblue would seriously impede sales of the TDI. It must end up with the the same CR2.0L CRD that's in the Puebla TDIs. A car that refuses to start, and strands drivers because they did not remember to add the emissions additive will be a deal killer for most car buyers.

I agree, it is nice in dark blue or that dark red. They'll sell some with gassers, that's for sure.

They really need to get the 1.6L CRD rolling out in NA.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
zzzzzzzzz...looks like an Accord.

or should i say "A-bored"? ;)

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
but the Golf is so darn cool looking! it's like they're mailing it in on every other model (JSW & Toureg are alright)

makes me want to go vintage American for our next ride!

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf

Manual transmission,
2.0 TDI,
Urea injection,
Resolved HPFP issues,

and,

around $25K
Most of your wish list will come true. The press release implied a manual is standard by saying the DSG is optional. They also said it was the same 140bhp/236lb/ft 2.0L TDI CR as the current MkVI Golf & JSW. Since the base 2.5L Passat S will start at ~$19,995, $25k for a Passat SE TDI 6mt is a sound estimate.

One thing you don't want to bother yourself with is urea injection. Unresolved HPFP issues are more of a PR and bad dealership issue than anything, IMHO.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
One thing you don't want to bother yourself with is urea injection. Unresolved HPFP issues are more of a PR and bad dealership issue than anything, IMHO.
Urea injection gets rid of the DPF and related emissions gear. HPFP issues are imaginary unless you have one explode on you.:rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd be hard pressed to see the MSRP of the Passat TDI coming in at 25K, my guess is more like 27-30K. The outgoing 2.0T is listed at 27K and this is in line with that. The Passat TDI will still be a few grand higher than the Jetta and JSW.

I know they want to appeal to the Americans and lower the price, similar to the $15,999 Jetta S. The 2.5 Passat will probab come in at 20K-22K, which is a huge savings if you had to buy a Passat last year regardless of powerplant in it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Urea injection gets rid of the DPF and related emissions gear. HPFP issues are imaginary unless you have one explode on you.:rolleyes:

NOPE, not to my knowledge. Urea gets rid of the NOx cat. DPF is still needed active regens aren't needed. There's still a DPF on the 3.0 T'reg and that has urea system doesn't it? Look up the Eruo spec Passat I believe it's the same power plant we'll be getting still a 2.0L with a DPF and Urea.

The NOx cat in the CEBA/CJAA is "regened" almost/more than twice as much as the DPF, that regen process eats a bit more fuel, so thats where you'd save a few pennies.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Looks like as winner! I'll trade my '10 Accord EXL Coupe in for one of these diesels....think they will make a coupe? SOLD!!!

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
This new 2012 Passat is no Accord, I don't care how you try to compare it, the Accord is no match for German engineering and styling. Honda/Acura does not have anything on the Germans for engineering and styling....

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
I think they do, my 2010 Sport Wagon with 15,000 miles on it has been to the dealer five times for repairs. My 2009 Accord with 19,000 miles has been to the dealer.....once for a free oil change. My 2001 Accord with 157,000 miles had the alternator replaced, any other repairs were from normal wear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see you're missing out on the german engineering experience and the bonding with the dealer you only get with owning something from the father land!!!

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
New 2012 Passat looks nice. Glad the high VW interior quality standard was kept on this one (unlike the 2011 Jetta Sedan).

2012 Passat Sportwagen TDI
6 spd manual

I'd buy one.

I hope this model has good reliability?
1. New model
2. New factory/equipment
3. New employees

A lot of change points....

Heres to a bright future of USA built VeeDubs! Just as long as they maintain their european driving dynamics and character. =)