ranger tdi- what do you guys think?

terry_01vw

TDI
01 jetta tdi
I was checking out the weight of a 98 ford ranger and it weighs about the exact same as my jetta tdi. Seems to me like a decent looking truck that would be awesome if it was diesel powered. Good winter project? Worth the hassle? Does anyone one know of any adapters sold for a conversion like this?

Wisconsinwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan
If you're going to go to that much trouble, why not get the Ford TDCi engine for the European Rangers and use that? I'm thinking about doing that swap myself someday, I have to believe that'd be way easier.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
It's labelled TDCI but it's the 2.5l from the Transit, not the 2.0/ 2.2 Peugeot collaboration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

"All new Ford Ranger features an all-new 2.5-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine featuring a new common-rail fuel injection system. The engine boasts increased power (143PS) and torque (330 Nm at 1,800 rpm) as well as improved fuel economy. High levels of on-demand torque combined with an extremely flexible engine mean you can confidently trust all new Ranger to take you anywhere, smoothly."

Last edited:

terry_01vw

TDI
01 jetta tdi
oh wow i actually did not know about that, but since it is brand new, i dont think I would have any chance of affording an engine like that.