Gauge mounting options

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
I ave a "new" 2002 jetta wagon with 250 K miles and I want to add oil pressure, egt and boost gauges preparatory to a tune and nozzle upgrade. Can't do a pillar mount because of side curtain airbags. No room on radio console area. What's left? top of steering column? Top of dash? Any advice? Any mfgs which make pods for a Jetta?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, dash pod or steering column pod are probably your choices, particularly if you are wanting to mount all 3 gauges.

One thing to consider(that perhaps you've already thought thru) is that your oil pressure and EGT analog gauges will require additional sensors (since the car has no existing analog sensors for those functions)... and in particular adding EGT will require drilling a hole pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold (post-turbo is next to useless). Tricky without pulling the turbo.

No worries if you're prepared for the work... but if one or more of those gauges is more trouble than they are worth to you it might change the size of the pod you're trying to source and fit.

Folks may weigh in about OBD2-based gauges like the Scangauge and Ultragauge, which plug into the OBD2 port and mount pretty discretely on the steering column or dash, but they won't show you oil pressure or EGT... again, no on-board sensors for them to read. :)

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
If you want a clean dash, consider an FIS-Control. I have one in my Golf and it works great. You will need a full height FIS cluster but they are pretty easy to come by. With the FIS control you can display most any parameter the ECU has and add additional sensors for EGT, oil temp, pressure, etc. All displayed on the cluster with no additional bits and bobs. If you are so inclined, the top of the display can be used to remote display a Valentine 1.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can do a pillar mount. I have one on my Wagon with the EGT gauge in it. It just pushes onto the trim so it'll flip out of the way with the pillar cover if the airbag deploys. 42 draft designs sells them.

I'm not a fan of the dual column pods because they block the odometer and the clock. If I didn't do the pillar I'd put boost in a single column pod and the other gauges in the dash above the head unit.

And although I may go with a FIS control in my MKVII (when available), I prefer analog readouts, much easier to glance at a needle position than read a number, especially on the track.

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
Thank you guys for some great responses. Pillar is out because of air bags. and I ended up top of dash scrunched against the pillar. not so pretty but doesn't block anything and was quick. Glo shift gauges.