Wet passenger side door to puddle on the floor

barley

TDI
Golf, 2002, silver
I've got a leak in the 02 golf. The water appears to come in at the top of the door at the corner of the windshield. it is tough to tell due to the wicking quality of water on fabric. The water accumulates quite a bit on the passenger side floor. I saw other threads about cleaning the sunroof drains. Would clogged sunroof drains cause this type of leak? Any other thoughts? Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Would clogged sunroof drains cause this type of leak? Any other thoughts?

Yes

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Sounds like the AC drain is plugged.

DB

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Drivbiwire said:
Sounds like the AC drain is plugged.

DB
__. I concur with both the above. Your problem could be sunroof drains (open the passenger door, you'll see a little rubber stub sticking out between the two hinges. Pour half a cup of water into the sunroof and it should all run out of that stub immediately) but I agree with DBW that it's more likely the air conditioner drain. Best way is to get under the car - you'll find a similar rubber stub right at the area in front of the passenger footwell. Run something smooth, stiff but soft (a lot of people like to use the filament made for "weed-eaters" but anything like that will do) up the rubber hose fitting. You'll probably get drops of water out.

__. You should also check your cabin air filter.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
barley said:
would the ac drain being plugged cause the leak to come in at the top of the windshield?
__. Nope, but the puddle on the floor is very similar from both. If you can be *sure* that the leak is at the top of the windshild, it's almost certainly the sunroof (although there's some chance you have a botched windshield installation ... some chance, but very little).

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
wet floor

I agree on the sunroof drain being clogged. I was careful and used a straightened coat hanger. I couldn't believe the crud that came out. I haven't had a problrm since!

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
johnnyrotten said:
I agree on the sunroof drain being clogged. I was careful and used a straightened coat hanger. I couldn't believe the crud that came out. I haven't had a problrm since!
You are less likely to mess up the drain hoses (i.e., seperating them from the fittings) by using a wire cable (e.g., a bicycle gear cable) or weed-wacker cable. With the bicycle cable, make sure the end is capped, other wise it will fray. For the weed-wacker cord, fold the end over and tape it to form a loop.

Both are more flexible that a coat hangar, but stiff enough to be fed all the way through.

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
I have this problem too. My rear passenger side floor is staying soaked. I know it's not the sunroof because the car hasn't been in the rain for months but the A/C has been run almost every day.

I however do not seem to be able to locate the rubber drain "stub" that should be coming down in the area of the passenger foot well. Any more specific info on where to find this? Thanks!

mrGutWrench said:
__. I concur with both the above. Your problem could be sunroof drains (open the passenger door, you'll see a little rubber stub sticking out between the two hinges. Pour half a cup of water into the sunroof and it should all run out of that stub immediately) but I agree with DBW that it's more likely the air conditioner drain. Best way is to get under the car - you'll find a similar rubber stub right at the area in front of the passenger footwell. Run something smooth, stiff but soft (a lot of people like to use the filament made for "weed-eaters" but anything like that will do) up the rubber hose fitting. You'll probably get drops of water out.

__. You should also check your cabin air filter.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Sun roof drain

k1rod said:
I have this problem too. My rear passenger side floor is staying soaked. I know it's not the sunroof because the car hasn't been in the rain for months but the A/C has been run almost every day.

I however do not seem to be able to locate the rubber drain "stub" that should be coming down in the area of the passenger foot well. Any more specific info on where to find this? Thanks!
The rubber stub as you discuss is not in the footwell, it is on the door jamb for the sunroof drain. For the AC drain -open hood , on firewall about half way down you will see a U shaped cut. Can only be reached from bottom of engine bay unless you have long skinny arms. Remove skid plate & reach up with ling screwdriver & pry "U" cover away from firewall. Insert screwdriver into hole and water should give you a shower!

Last edited:

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
I still have not been able to solve the problem. I located the AC drain under the U flap on the fire wall and routed it out with an 18" flexable plastic drain cleaning tool. I got the entire length of the tool up in the drain but still very little water came out and still my passenger side rear floor is soaked. It still hasn't rained and I have done any water fording in my Jetta so I am at a loss. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Run the engine for a while with the a/c on in your driveway and check under the car to see if the a/c drain is flowing on the ground.

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
Well, I know what the problem is. It is the Sunroof but not the drain. I brought it to the stealer and found that the sunroof frame part number 8D5877049A is cracked. They want $707 for the part and $800 to install it. :eek: After you add on their 10% shop supply ripoff fee (To their $110/hr labor rate) and taxes, it comes to over $1700. :eek: :eek: . I'm afraid it's time to go Mickey and break out the silicone and calking gun. :mad: