VW New Beetle 2002 1.8TDI - Timing Belt change

Sanya

TDI
New Beetle
VW New Beetle 2002 1.8TDI - Timing Belt change.

Hi, my mechanic quoted 1300 USD (parts and labour) for replacing timing belt, water pumps, tensional something and bearings.

The parts are all brand name parts. He quoted about 800 for the parts and 500 for the labour.

Is this to expensive? Can I get it cheaper? I just have no idea...

Thanks a lot.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Sorry but it can't be a 1.8 TDI. They never made one of those. All the TDI Beetles are 1.9. $1300 is beyond highway robbery. Run as fast as you can away from them. There are many who can do it much cheaper. Look for a TDI guru in your area via this site. Should not be anymore than $700 tops including parts. Parts are maybe $350 from vendors here for a complete TB kit then you might need the vbelt tensoiner (maybe) and that extra part will make your parts price around $350 or so. $800 for parts is robbery period. Stay away from stealerships at all costs when dealing with any diesel from VW.

cjharris02892

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2000 Golf and 2005 Jetta MKIV w/BEW
I did mine...

...for 278.00 US and a Saturday and half a Sunday. You be the judge. Keep in mind I had all the tools, have been doing my own work (including head changes on a Toyota 22R and Chevy S-10) for 20 years. And this was my first TB change on a TDI, so I took my time and read the directions 3 times as I was doing it. I would say, for an experienced mechanic 800.00 US wpuld be reasonable.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
I would say, for an experienced mechanic 800.00 US wpuld be reasonable.
That includes all the parts as well. That would still equate to cheap insurance as my TB disaster has now cost me just under $2500 and thats doing the work myself.

VWfanatic

TDI
Wife got it in Divorce
So I take the general consensus here is not to try this yourself?

My skill level is intermediate at best. I have torn apart motors and put them back together, but nothing as delicate as this.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Without the right tools and a VAG-COM, there's no way you (or your mechanic) will do the job correctly. Contact a guru in your area, even if it's a few hours away.