2 stroke oil in your diesel = smiles?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I've had noticeable results with turbine oil(s)
I'm surprised no one has run them.
Interesting. I have a few cases of that, was saving that for my van but with that down, going to use it up, with my Jet fuel and diesel/gas mix I pulled out of a misfueled Dmax, :D

FiveFilter

TDI
Well, I must admit the new South African oil company study has made me less than enthusiastic about my continued use of two cycle oil. This paper seems quite authentic and based on scientific methodology. The comments on possible damage to fuel injectors from zinc was surprising and disappointing to me.

I believe I'll just stick with the widely popular and available silver & white Power Service bottles from now on out.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Well, I must admit the new South African oil company study has made me less than enthusiastic about my continued use of two cycle oil. This paper seems quite authentic and based on scientific methodology. The comments on possible damage to fuel injectors from zinc was surprising and disappointing to me.

I believe I'll just stick with the widely popular and available silver & white Power Service bottles from now on out.
Testing was not conducted with TCW-3 oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...69/Re:_VOA__on_TC-W3_or_any_TC_oi#Post2028569

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=35630&Number=474342#Post474342

FiveFilter

TDI
I see in one of the bobistheoilguy reports that the TCW3 tested to have a level of zinc amounting to a value of "38." Perhaps this means 38 ppm, I don't know. Also, I don't know if this zinc level is enough to damage fuel injectors like is claimed for the 2 cycle oil tested in the South African report.

As with most additive discussions, it's confusing.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Now running turbine oil, engine runs sooooooooo smooth.

If 2 stroke oil didn't lubricate, there would be a few 2 stroke engines melted into lumps of useless metal, :p

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I see in one of the bobistheoilguy reports that the TCW3 tested to have a level of zinc amounting to a value of "38." Perhaps this means 38 ppm, I don't know. Also, I don't know if this zinc level is enough to damage fuel injectors like is claimed for the 2 cycle oil tested in the South African report.
It is 38 PPM (it says PPM at the top). I wonder if the VE injectors are also fouled by Zinc the same way they say the CR injectors are. Even if they are, maybe it's worth the trade off.

Also, if they had used TCW3, would there have been a different result? Would the lubricity have been much different than the 2 stroke oil they used in their tests?

I've been using Abacus' brew of PS + 2 Stroke. My reasoning being that it worked for him for 400,000 miles, his engine internals were super clean and the IP could use lube given modern diesel has less of it than when the VE cars were built. I also figured it would be more lube for rings, etc.

Mark

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
I ran 35000 miles with twc3 oil @ a 200:1 ratio and saw ash levels trending loser over that time based on where they were when i started. Zero fuel system problems and zero exhaust system problems.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^Thanks for the info... followed your link and am perusing your thread... :)

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
^Thanks for the info... followed your link and am perusing your thread... :)

I recommend using VCDS to monitor your ash level. I also did this with the wifes '09 jetta and it also was fine. I stopped when I left to work a contract out in MN, she was not committed to keeping up with it.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Hoping to have DPF "relocated" somewhere in the range of 2 weeks to a year... Thanks again!

vschaos

TDI
2010 TDI Golf - retired, Another soon
Very informative thread indeed! Will continue to keep coming back in here to check it out. Even more if I end up getting this 01 Jetta TDI I am looking at.

Joe_Diesel

TDI
2010 VW Jetta DSG
Browsing through this thread... I see some references to turbine oil. Where does one buy this stuff? Looked quickly online and saw some for 17.99/qt. That doesn't seem too economical.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The guy running turbine oil probably works in the aviation industry and got it cheap or free. If you really want an economical lubricity enhancer, get some biodiesel. A B2 blend is sufficient.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Browsing through this thread... I see some references to turbine oil. Where does one buy this stuff? Looked quickly online and saw some for 17.99/qt. That doesn't seem too economical.
I have ran turbine oil in my TDI. I bought it from an oil distributor online.
I paid about $11 per at. Back then. It only takes a bit to add lubricity.
Turbine oil is very similar to infinium that is added to modern diesel fuel.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I have ran turbine oil in my TDI. I bought it from an oil distributor online.
I paid about $11 per at. Back then. It only takes a bit to add lubricity.
Turbine oil is very similar to infinium that is added to modern diesel fuel.
Why do we keep hearing these old wive's tales about putting oil in diesel fuel? If you want to add lubricity buy an additive (designed for diesel fuel) or purchase biodiesel.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Why do we keep hearing these old wive's tales about putting oil in diesel fuel? If you want to add lubricity buy an additive (designed for diesel fuel) or purchase biodiesel.
Adding oil to diesel does increase lubricity. Whether it can be safely used in a 2007 and later diesel is where the question is.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Perhaps some have simply taken matters (testing) into ones own hands. Turbine oil is used as a direct additive to jet fuel to add lubricity to the turbine bearings. How is this "an old wives tale"

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
I believe the thread states. "2 stroke oil in diesels" not 2 stroke oil in modern diesels.
I take this to encompass all diesels. Not just modern TDI diesels.
Responding to your comment about not having a turbine. I can assure you that in California diesel fuel barely meets the minimum lubricity requirements.
Aeroshell turbine oil shares many of the same properties that infinitum diesel lubricity additive does.
I had access to an "amount" of infinium additive and I did my own testing. Not scientific of course but by the seat of my pants the turbine oil worked just as well as the refinery/terminal additive.
Just to clarify modern diesels may be designed to run ultra low sulfer diesel but anything pre 2006 was not. Besides whether diesels need additional additives or not if one uses them and see increased mpg and a quieter engine how can that not be a good thing?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I run turbine oil but don't get that much as the local airport gives it to me when it expires, ;)

Modern diesels don't need additives.
That is incorrect due to our crappy fuel but do what floats your boat, :p

I believe the thread states. "2 stroke oil in diesels" not 2 stroke oil in modern diesels.
Responding to your comment about not having a turbine. I can assure you that in California diesel fuel barely meets the minimum lubricity requirements.
Aeroshell turbine oil shares many of the same properties that infinitum diesel lubricity additive does.
I had access to an "amount" of infinium additive and I did my own testing. Not scientific of course but by the seat of my pants the turbine oil worked just as well as the refinery/terminal additive.
Just to clarify modern diesels may be designed to run ultra low sulfer diesel but anything pre 2006 was not. Besides whether diesels need additional additives or not if one uses them and see increased mpg and a quieter engine how can that not be a good thing?
Please, don't make sense, people don't like that!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Your experience is anecdotal and as valuable as mine. I used additives and the only change I saw was paying for something that made no change.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
I have done a lot of tuning on the ram and based on all of the cause and effect observed, I can say that power service will change the ignition delay which is why some report a mpg increase with it. I have seen pics of cylinders & the head from someone (in a cumminsforum thread) where they tore down an engine that lived on 2 stroke and it was pretty damn clean... I can also add that (pot stir time) that a few cummins owners have over 75k miles (285K miles on original injectors iirc) running older spec ATF in the fuel in their CR motors, all with excellent results... (cleaned fuel system really well, I just started and have only ~5k miles with it. Too just 250~300 miles with it to see significant improvements. Non-DPF trucks though ).

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I have researched across the internet about this subject. So far the most authoritative source I have found is an oil tribologist and chemist who goes by Molakule on bobistheoilguy. It is his opinion that the 2 stroke in the diesel will not cause harm and likely provides some upper cylinder lubrication, that is all.
For that reason, I still use it. I can hear less noise and feel less vibration when in use. I will likely continue using the tcw3 oil in my modern diesel.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't drive a turbine. Modern diesels don't need additives.
Ok, you're entitled to that opinion. You could say they don't need diesel rated motor oil, and that your car runs just fine on conventional 10w-30. It wouldn't be particularly helpful, but...
Btw- your car has a turbo, which in fact does contain a small turbine.

Last edited: