Remote door key doesn't work

Jetta888

TDI
2000 Jetta
My Jetta 2000 TDI remote door key didn't work yesterday (All three buttons are dead). Since I worked very far from home, I didn't get around to replace the batteries last night. After about 18 hours later, I bought two new batteries and put them in. All the buttons still don't work. I am thinking maybe I left the remote key out of power too long and needs to be reprogrammed. Is there some instructons anywhere how to do it? Thanks

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.
insert the new key into the ignition
insert your vallet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)
turn the vallet key towards lock and hold it there
while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
2 seconds.
let go
press it again for 2 seconds

Jetta888

TDI
2000 Jetta
This procedure works!

I called the dealership yesterday and they told me that they would charge $60 labor for something that can be done in less than one minute. They even sugguest I need to buy new key ($80).

TDICLUB ROCKS!!!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Jetta888 said:
(snip) I called the dealership yesterday (snip)
__. THAT always results in tears. Just say no to a stealership. No, no, no. Well, maybe call them occasionally and tell them that they're idiots and that you've found a good way to take care of your car and they're never getting any more of your money. As I think about it, maybe not occasionally, how about often!