What 5 Speed tranny fluid for warm/hot climates?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I'm just searched for about an hour and I can't seem to find enough info that's relavant to me. Most of what I did find, people noted the feel in cold climates.... which is not applicable to me. It really doesn't get below 50* much here in LA. Hell, it's 80's here this week! :D Average summer temps are about 80-90* but I have known to head to the desert in the summer and see 110-120* temps.

I want good protection with excellent feel/shifting.

I prefer to use synthetic unless a mineral oil is substantially better.

Changing the fluid at 100k is nice... but it would be fine to change it at 50k too. Changing it more frequently is fine just as long as its not every year or 2.

My driving style is "spirited" to aggressive when I have fun in the canyons to normal putting along during my daily commute.

So is there a preferable fluid to use in warm/hot climates?

TIA!

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Except you'd end up with a lot of metal shavings....

I'm not going to get in a war, I've done that twice already with tranny fluid. If you trust those who built the tranny stick with OEM fluid or Lubromoly. If you don't trust them, run whatever you want ;).
-BB

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Thanks guys... I would think I would need a heavier viscosity oil as the heat would thin it out. Is OEM that good that it surpases a synthetic fluid?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Tranny fluid

BleachedBora is correct. :D Go with the manufacture's recommendations! They made the transmission.:cool:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Motul Gear 300 . VW does not build the trannies anymore, aren't they made by Aisin ?

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
I Used 50w Eaton Roadranger, Fully Syn., Made For Big Trucks, Shifts Like A Dream 1 Finger Even When -28c Outside! I'm Pretty Sure Oem Is Mineral Based.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
VW G-60 seems to shift more smoothly than Redline D4 did for me here in S. FL which is a warm climate.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I noticed smoother shifting when I changed from redline MT-90 to the lubromoly stuff. Unless your climate is extremely hot all the time, I see no need to deviate from OEM.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
I noticed better shifting and feel when switching from MT-90 to OEM VW just recently. I was in Colorado last week and it felt great. Here in OK, it's in the 70's, still feels great and we'll be in the 100's soon enough. Take your VIN to the dealer and see what they spec. For my wagon, it was different than a sedan O2J and they had to order it in.