AdBlue consumption

4thVWDsl

TDI
1981 Rabbit, 1985 Golf, 1989 Golf, 2004 Golf, 2014 PassatNMS
I've got around 5000Kms (3125Mi) since my last service and adblue fill up in my '14 passat. This morning I got a dashboard warming that I have less than 2000 (or 2500? kms to empty. I'm not sure if this is related to the last flash on the ECU, but I didn't get the warning the last two service visits, and I did them right at the scheduled interval. I'm around 10,000 kms away from that.......I've got a bad feeling. :(

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If indeed your DEF was filled up at the last service then, no, you should not be running that low at this point. There are several possibilities here given what I've been reading in the forum, the two most common being a bad NOx sensor (I had that one, but it just came on and said "150 miles to no start"), and something gone wrong with the AdBlue tank / heater system. Not sure if the car will actually refuse to start if it's allowed to run down in these cases, but probably best not to take any chances.

4thVWDsl

TDI
1981 Rabbit, 1985 Golf, 1989 Golf, 2004 Golf, 2014 PassatNMS
Thanks for that..

I'm thinking the same thing. I'd take it in there today, except they've already got my other VW since two Fridays ago for a different problem. I have noticed just recently now that I've thought about it, that I smell that pungent DEF injection smell, you know the one, when it's injecting there is a distinct smell, more often as of late. I had the intercooler hose blow off late last year, and I was worried about it after that that the downstream sensors in the exhaust would not be the same, or that somethings lifespan was cut short. Appreciate the thoughts.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Mine is hungry for pee- I over filled mine at 40K and the light came on at 47K took 2.5 gallons easily light came on again at 55K another 2.5 gallons.... added another 2.5 gallons at 60k service and now the light is back on at 64k! Prior to the software upgrade It never took more than 2 gallons over 10k miles.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Since the software update, my Ad blue usage is up. Before, I could go between 10k service, without the Adblue low level warning.
Now, I got my first low level countdown, and I still have 500 miles till next service.
Mileage is also down 3-5 mpg.

1892 Rudolf

TDI
2015 Passat
2015 Passat, stock. Similar results for the last 10k miles as previous period. 2.2 gallons used between 30k-40k. Previous 10k mile usage was 1.6 gallons.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Just wondering what software update was done?
Is the update related to all the issues that are currently going on?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
2015 stock Passat. I filled it at 20k, it took 1.6 gallons at 30k miles.
2015 Passat, stock. Similar results for the last 10k miles as previous period. 2.2 gallons used between 30k-40k. Previous 10k mile usage was 1.6 gallons.
Just pointing out the 2015 has a different motor....so the fact you haven't seen changes doesn't really help the OP...

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Just wondering what software update was done?
Is the update related to all the issues that are currently going on?

We (2012-2014 NMS Passats) received the 23N5 update, to address turbo failures, which was rather rampant for certain individuals. From what I remember it changed the way the vehicle warms up. But it seems many have seen a rather steep increase in Adblue consumption, which could be a by product of richer fueling in cold start.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
We (2012-2014 NMS Passats) received the 23N5 update, to address turbo failures, which was rather rampant for certain individuals. From what I remember it changed the way the vehicle warms up. But it seems many have seen a rather steep increase in Adblue consumption, which could be a by product of richer fueling in cold start.
FWIW - I received that update after my turbo failed and I noticed no difference in Adblue consumption. I buy a 2.5 gallon box every 3 months or so - Roughly 11,000 miles. But my driving is all highway or main roads. Never any stop and go.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
+1. They simply limited the turbo revs w cold engine. More anemic car for first few mins, but less chance of turbo blowing up when it is not getting enough lube due to thicker oil.

Had nothing to do with DEF consumption rates. In my car, it is so friggin low, I only put may be a gallon every 10K miles, if that. Never seen the warning light.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I exhausted my AdBlue to 0 mile no start up, then filled 2.5 gal jug at around 33k miles.

Today at 39k miles, 1500 mile warning came up.

So seems like 7000 miles will consume roughly 2.5 gal of DEF. Out of the 7k miles, 4k were around town commute driving, and 3k were on a road trip, mainly at fwy speed.

During the 1st 3 yrs of ownership, dealer topped off the DEF during the 10k service, so I couldn't really tell how much DEF get consumed.

I'm just surprised that 2.5 gal of DEF were consumed with only 7k miles.

Last edited:

Dangerranger

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
Not the case...

To add the fluid on your own, you'd need to score a 1/2 gallon VW/Audi adblue bottle that you can turn into a funnel. Cannot just pour bulk fluid into the VW ablue tank, it requires a special bottle (neck "unlocks" the tank). Apparently BMW and Mercedes have standardized on the same design too (?).

Most of us don't have much to worry about for a looong while :)

Wonder what they use at service centers ... must have some kind of spill-proof funnels ... or they just use the 1/2 gallon bottles ...
You actually do not need any special bottles or funnels to fill the tank. If you're concerned about making a mess, then yes you can use the Kruze bottles. However, I buy the Peak BlueDef, can be found on Amazon, and the nozzle that comes with that 2.5 Gallon Jug works just fine. No mess, no fuss. I just pour in two of the 2.5 gallon jugs when the car gets to 600 miles to no start.