abs pump bleeding

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
hey there curious why on the ross tech site it's mentioned to have all wheels off the ground to bleed the abs pump?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Perhaps so you can get at all the bleeders easier? MOGolf would be one who could comment on this...

-Jason

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
ah lol makes sense, on the site just says this though nothing about bleeder screws

Procedure for Bleeding the ABS Brake Pump on VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, and Audi TT:
[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

This will trigger the ABS pump to turn on for about 10 seconds. You should hear the fairly loud pump clicking during this time.
Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yes just figured that out, started it but no jack stands here at the moment will do it on the weekend. did as stated went to abs, basic settings, then is asked to depress pedal and realease then open fr and fl bleeder screws, i stopped there as i had run out of time before work.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
ok i did it last night, pretty long procedure, 17 steps, basically you start the procedure by going to group 1 and hit go, askes you to depress the pedal and wait, starts the pump,then you open up the fr and fl bleeder screws, go to step 2 and it says pump the pedal 10 times and close bleeder screws, and that's repeated till step 17 says bleeding complete. don;t have to do anything to the rear ones just the two forward ones.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
doc_m said:
ok i did it last night, pretty long procedure, 17 steps, basically you start the procedure by going to group 1 and hit go, askes you to depress the pedal and wait, starts the pump,then you open up the fr and fl bleeder screws, go to step 2 and it says pump the pedal 10 times and close bleeder screws, and that's repeated till step 17 says bleeding complete. don;t have to do anything to the rear ones just the two forward ones.
So what about the fluid in the rear lines/calipers? I'd think you'd need to bleed that too if you were changing fluid all the way....