Snow Tires for 2009 Jetta TDI Question??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you/anyone happen to know the offset on the 2009s? Looking locally I think I can snag some 15" 5x112 with a 37 offset for around $100, not sure if that will fly.

btw $107 for the 16s Blizzacks, $82 for the 15s

Last edited:

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Hello

I bought four STEEL OEM VW Rims with covers included from Tirerack. I am planning on putting either Michelin Artic Alpins or X-ICE-2s.

sabaranski

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. See signature.
I am preparing to post a 1-y/o set of 16" wheels and rims suitable for a Jetta. I had the Blizzaks installed last year, but my car was just totaled. PM me for more details, or look in the F/S forums for a post shortly. I am reasonable as far as price/cost, but would prefer not to ship from Colorado.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i'd perfer not to have you ship them from CO as well. I am also set on looking for 15s and rolling on 195/65/15s, cheaper, narrower, lighter tire.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
rotorhead23 said:
I have P195 65R 15 Toyo GO2 snow tires on 15 in. steel rims that I had on my 2006 TDI. I'm going to use them on my new 2009 TDI. Excellent snow tire! They have ground up Japanese Black Walnut shells in the rubber compound which give good traction on ice and they wear longer. This will be the fourth winter. Still lots of tread left. We have 5 months of winter here.
Correct size for winter tires instead of 205/55-16 for summer. I would even go for the 155/80-15 or 165/80-15 Vredestein Snowtrac if I had to get snow tires for my car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just picked up 4 steel rims off craigs list 15x6, 5x112, ET47, with Audi markings, off a 1999 passat, they have some brake dust but look great other than that well worth the 85 bucks I paid.

Now to order the tires!!!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ordered the WS60 blizacks 195-65-15, Tirerack $379 shipped to the door, plus the $50 giftcard, should be here next week. I probably won't mount them till November but, heck I am all set for rubbers for quite some time!

CABRIOLET

TDI
2009 JETTA TDI
You should check the Votex. I picked up a set of 15x6 5x112 rims with TPMS as takeoffs from a 2007 Golf for $150.00 in NJ. Still had the parts labels attached along with the new style steel weights. I will use them on my 2009 TDI sedan. Had a set of Michelin Artic from my 2003 Jetta. Just have to switch the rims. Those tire got me out of quite a few jams.

Cabriolet

2009 TDI
2004 Volvo V40
1991 VW Cabriolet (41,000 Miles)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i looked for a little bit, i didn't see anything worth driving to or shipping to me, i decided to save the cash from the TPMS and just deal with the light on the dash. After a quick wash these rims will look pretty much brandy new.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
740, no cable from ross-tech? I very worthwhile investment if you plan on keeping the car for a while....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am planning to hold on to this for at least 10 years or a JSW falls in my lap.

I've been intouch with a guy that has one, i'll probably be changing a few things.

as for picking one up myself, knock on wood i won't need one for trouble shooting for quite some time.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
740GLE said:
I am planning to hold on to this for at least 10 years or a JSW falls in my lap.

I've been intouch with a guy that has one, i'll probably be changing a few things.

as for picking one up myself, knock on wood i won't need one for trouble shooting for quite some time.
But you can get rid of the tpms light with it also.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know, thats why i said i'd change a few things once i was in touch with someone if needed, sorry if i was vague.

It's not high on the list of things to do. I took care of winter tires this week, one thing at a time.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Is there a decent all-season tire that can handle ice? Here in suburban DC, we have little snow, mostly ice storms. I'm willing to purchase dedicated snows (I've got an extra set of rims, with TPMS)

Is the Mich X-Ice Xi2 significantly better than the best all-season?

Looking at:
Mich. X-Ice Xi2;
Mich Primacy Alpin PA3;
Mich. Alpin PA3
Brid. Blizzak WS60

I've not had good experience with Bridgestone, but that's only based on the lowly Turanza 400-EL.

Thanks

turbo_dse

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
I bought Hankook winter I-pike 195-65-R15, This size will fit only on the sedan. I have 15" steel rims and the OEM B.S. tires are on the 16" aloys. I had a Rabbit before my Jetta for 3 years and I use those Hankook for three winters And they're still in pretty good condition. They work verry weel on ice, snow ans wet. 90$ per tires installed and ballanced+ 50$ for each rims.

Exmasonite

TDI
2009 JSW 6spd manual, 68K and counting...
tdiatlast said:
Is there a decent all-season tire that can handle ice? Here in suburban DC, we have little snow, mostly ice storms. I'm willing to purchase dedicated snows (I've got an extra set of rims, with TPMS)

Is the Mich X-Ice Xi2 significantly better than the best all-season?

Looking at:
Mich. X-Ice Xi2;
Mich Primacy Alpin PA3;
Mich. Alpin PA3
Brid. Blizzak WS60

I've not had good experience with Bridgestone, but that's only based on the lowly Turanza 400-EL.

Thanks
I just picked up (at tirerack) 4 of the new Continential ExtremeWinterContacts for my JSW. not a ton of info out there but there was a recent posting by the tirerack gurus that they gave the Blizzaks a run for their money on ice. I've read they may not be QUITE as good a winter tire as the blizzaks but should hold up a little better under dry conditions.

Might be something to look into... w/ TPMS sensors and OE rims/covers, came to like $750 shipped to my door. Won't go on the car for a month or so so can't report much more than that

Falcon75

TDI
2002, 2006
Nokian Hap R

I just bought Nokian Hap R the latest version from Nokian. I live in Saskatoon Canada where the winters are extreme. I have done a lot of research into this topic and came up with this product due to excellent reviews. The part that convinced me on this tire was the low resistance built into the tire tread thus better gas mileage. As well they perform near the top of every review I researched thus far. They are on the more pricey side, but if that is going to be the difference between me sliding out of controll versue having poor grip, then I will opt for the better product everytime. Not to say some cheaper tires are not on the same playing field as there counterparts, some are and that's where you need to do your research.

But no matter what type of tire you opt for it still boils down to how you drive in those conditions. I have worked as a Fire Fighter for over twenty-five years as well as other components of EMS and I can tell you this. I go to more accidents dealing with SUVS and Pickup trucks. I think some of those individuals think that since they are driving a 4X4 or an all wheel drive vehicle it allows them to drive as if it was the middle of the summer.

"Well I am here to tell you that's not the case".

So no matter what tire you have on your vehicle and how much grip it has in slippery conditions every driver should drive to the conditions that are present at the time.

Keep the rubber on the road as we say in the motorcycle world.

Be safe out there!!!

Bruce :)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never indulged in Nokian tires. I'm surprised they're not required here in the "People's Republic of Arlington" county, northern Virginia. We're so earth friendly here...
I saw no "Hap R" tires on the Nokian web site. Did you mean "Hak R", as in Hakkapeliita? Are the Nokian all-weather tires worthy? The hype sure sound good...

Falcon75

TDI
2002, 2006
Nokian Hak R

Sorry about that, a slip of the old fingers on the keys ha ha. Yes you are correct in regards to the spelling. I know that they do make all season tires and they are well made as well.

Good luck with your tire purchase.

xtoyz

Veteran Member
TDI
Dodge Cummins
I know we're 5x112, but anyone know if these will fit?
Set of 4 steel wheel 16x6.5 5-114 64CB ET50 with Bridgstone Blizzak WS-50 studless winter tires and set of 16" hubcaps.

pbcurran

TDI
2010 Jetta
I'm a new TDI Owner (2010 Jetta) and am a little confused now that I have been reading all the snow tires posts. I called tirerack b/c I wanted to minus size for my snows to a 15" steel rim but they didn't show any for this vehicle. The rep I spoke with said I can't minus size b/c they won't clear the brakes. Is this true? I see some of you posted that your are running 15's. Thanks

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On 09s, the JSW has larger front rotors, hence the 15" won't fit.

I thought the sedan could handle 15" but I don't know.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
That's right. On the 2009s, the JSW's have a larger front brake so the minimum wheel size is 16". The sedans can still run 15". Tirerack has the same limitation for the 2009 sedan, you can't order the 15" using your vehicle. You can fool the system by choosing a 2006 model.

OTOH, I have no idea if they changed the brake sizes for the 2010 sedans or wagons. A potentially easy way to check is to look at your spare wheel. If it's a 15", you have your answer.

pbcurran

TDI
2010 Jetta
The guy from TR sounded convincing. Maybe he just wants the extra $$ for the larger wheels and tires. Great idea....I will check the spare for sizing.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my spare on my 2010 is a 15. I haven't put on my 15 snows yet, but looking at the stock brake spacing on the Biolines vs Turbine Surburbans picture of his upgraded rotors with his biolines, I def have the same rotors as the 09s. There is plently of room for the 15s to work.

Tire Rack just doesn't know about sedan vs wagen brakes. Also if you select a 2006 TDI (which doesn't come with TPMS) order a set or rims and rubbers, they will mount them for free. Where as if you select a 2009 or 2010, they will want you to order rims rubbers and sensors in order to get your free mount and balancing.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I think TPMS became mandatory for the latter part of the 2006 MY, so some 2006 do have TPMS. If you want to use the Tire Rack configurator-a-bob, use the drop down for "Additional info" and it will let you add TPMS if you want the whole system for a 15" set.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So, 15" (195-65-R15) will fit on a 2010 Jetta sedan? I really want to use the same same set I had on my 2006 and not fork over for another set.