ecu location help please

tikkaboy

TDI
1.9 TDI 110 AFN
hi

can anyone advise I have a 1998 1.9 tdi with an afn engine fitted, im getting problems with overboost ( i think) seems ok up till 3k then it doesnt want to go any further though i can still sit at around 80 mph but no guts if you know what i mean , the car starts and idles lovely.

Ive got the vag com lead and when i suss out how to i will use it , however my question is were is the ecu on this as ive read theres a pipe that comes from the turbo that goes into it and it maybe full of oil /water etc i dont want to fit a new maf till im sure etc,

any help or pics would be really appreciated.

thanks

Phil

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The ECU is located in the cowl area under the wiper arms. Some plastic trim covers will need to be removed to dain access to the ECU. The degree of difficulty in the trim removal varies with different models.

"...suss out..." My wife gives me a quizzical look when I use that term. Glad I'm not totally daft in using it.

tikkaboy

TDI
1.9 TDI 110 AFN
is it safe for me to blow through the pipe into the ecu???? forgive me but it just sounds wrong blowing liquid into an electronic device,

like i said forgive me if im talking nonsense but im sure i read it on a post somewhere.

thanks again

Phil

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The small amount of moisture in your breath won't harm anything. Plus, if the line is working properly, you shouldn't be able to blow much air in at all :)

-Jason

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
RGC said:
THAT PDF IS NO GOOD FOR TDI OWNERS AS THE ECU IS NOT IN THE SAME PLACE MATE!:mad:
I thought that's where I found my ecu in my 97 B4.

And to the OP - replace the hoses. If you have one going to the ecu, you probably have on inside it as well. Replace the one inside as wall as the one outside the ecu box.