Merc A170 CDI

D-Dawg

Anyone else got one?

Just bought one for the wife. It's a year old, 14,000 miles, Silver with the 95bhp, 133lb ft engine. Excellent all round package. Really pleased with it.

Really been won over to diesel power now. (my car is the BWW 330d btw)

D-Dawg

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
While I realize your A170 is no comparison for an A160 CDI, the latter is what I rented while in Germany back in 2000. I was very unimpressed. However, it was a replacement for a petrol-fuelled Fiat Marea Combi which was far, far worse.

Even in spite of having driven manual cars all my life, I found the CDI engine VERY easy to stall from a standing-start. You really need to give it generous throttle and ease off the clutch carefully. Launching from a hill stop -- I'd be worried in that car. The handling was awful with 165 treadwidth ECO-Contact tires. Top speed was 170 km/h. Downhill.

Hope you have better experiences in your A170. I didn't like the 160. Would have far rather gotten an Audi A2 for the same class and styling.

D-Dawg

The first A-Class I drove was a A160 petrol which was a bit disappointing, then I drove the A140 petrol which seemed better. The A170 CDI engine really suits the cars relaxed style (if I wanna thrash I use my 330d!)

The A Class (IMHO) beats the A2 hands down in the important areas we were looking for in the car, such as rear leg room, boot size, etc.

The spread of torque us very even, from 1600 - 3600 rpm, wider band than the 330d. Smooth progress is easy mated to the manual gearbox. We tried all three transmission options but the manual suited the engine best (and chassis come to that), again IMHO.

I don't actually know the power and torque outputs for the A160CDI, don't recall ever seeing one in the UK but the version we have is the latest version of the engine, since the facelift in 2001.

Our car came equipped with 195/55/15 tyres btw.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
In my experience the A-Class is a nasty car, I've only driven the A160 but that was enough to put me off, the diesel could be nice though, I've yet to investigate.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I downloaded a cool video of a Brit show....racing an A160 vs a E300 5.0 vs a McLaren/Benz formula one- the A160 left the starting line like 3 minutes earlier and was still beat.

Impressive how they were making the little car go 115Mph and it was flying around the track- kept up with 5.0

Daimler/Chrysler should start building better cars in the states-