DSG DIY tune install

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Has anyone done their own DSG tune? Buy the tune from Malone or Kerma whatever your preference, then rent the tool to install it.
I've watched the video clips from Malone and Kerma and they both are similar but leave a few things unanswered.

I don't need to be told that Kerma is US $ 399.00 and Malone is US$ 499.00, I can see that myself.

If someone has done it, do you get the tuned file before you get into taking everything apart?

The install looks reasonably easy, but there seems to be some hard pulling to get things apart and back together again. For someone only doing this once it probably is not simple as the video clips portray. I'm not mechanically inept, but rather leery of the whole procedure.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

Malone DSG tune

Kerma DSG tune video clip

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
It’s ridiculously easy! Hardest part is lining up the connector, you have to align an arrow and turn. Once you do it it makes sense, but can take a few tries to get there.

Just remove the intake from the maf forward. There are rubber grommets in the bottom of the intake that you have to pull hard on. For me one came off one stayed. I then removed it and put it back in the bottom of the box.

If you have an after market intake it’s even easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
For the Kerma tune

If someone has done it, do you get the tuned file before you get into taking everything apart?

No. You read the transmission then send that file to Kerma and they e-mail you back the tune. You only need to access the transmission connector to read the file, the tune is loaded via the OBD connector.

With Kerma the $399 is just the tune. There is a $1,000 deposit they charge for the tuner. Once you "return" the tuner they refund the $1,000. I said "return" because, at least with me, they sent me a UPS label to the next person on the list waiting for the tuner. They know by the tracking number that it was shipped and use that info for the refund.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For the Kerma tune
No. You read the transmission then send that file to Kerma and they e-mail you back the tune. You only need to access the transmission connector to read the file, the tune is loaded via the OBD connector.
With Kerma the $399 is just the tune. There is a $1,000 deposit they charge for the tuner. Once you "return" the tuner they refund the $1,000. I said "return" because, at least with me, they sent me a UPS label to the next person on the list waiting for the tuner. They know by the tracking number that it was shipped and use that info for the refund.

So I assume that reading the file would be applicable to both, Malone and Kerma? In other words between the work to read the file and then install the new file your car is inoperable, possibly for 24 hours or more until you receive the new file?

As for installing it via the OBD 2 port, are you sure about that?
Maybe you are getting the ECU and DSG tune mixed up?:confused:

In the Kerma video clip it shows the DSG file is installed via the transmission port !!! Much of the vid clip is not very good since the mechanic is constantly blocking the view with his body. A better photographer would have been off to the right side.

The Malone video clip is far clearer in as far as the mechanic is not constantly blocking the view. In that clip they are removing the airbox in a better way in my opinion. But it stops at reading the file, so the assumption is that the new one is installed via the DSG tool as well.
There are better explanations given with the exception of 3 different transmission choices. Which to use?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s ridiculously easy! Hardest part is lining up the connector, you have to align an arrow and turn. Once you do it it makes sense, but can take a few tries to get there.
Just remove the intake from the maf forward. There are rubber grommets in the bottom of the intake that you have to pull hard on. For me one came off one stayed. I then removed it and put it back in the bottom of the box.
If you have an after market intake it’s even easier. NO I DO NOT !!!

I think you have convinced me to try and tackle this myself.:D

It sure as h e l l looks to be far easier than a 4 wheel complete brake job on my former Jetta.

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
I think you have convinced me to try and tackle this myself.:D

It sure as h e l l looks to be far easier than a 4 wheel complete brake job on my former Jetta.

Nice, I didn’t want to put pressure on you, but it’s so easy. It can be done in about 45 mins start to finish including getting the intake back on

[emoji106]

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Nowadays there's no need to go under the hood. It's all done over OBD (for the most part)

The hardest part is the waiting list for the kess tool

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also not sure if Kerma and Malone DSG tunes are TDI specific, but there are a slew of other DSG tunes out there by the Gasser tuners, APR and Unitronic are the bigger ones that seem to be mentioned. I believe utronic can be tuned at home with their cable (similar to rosstech cable/where your laptop is connected right to the ODB).

Again not sure if the TDI tuners offer TDI DSG tune specific.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yes the shift pattern is very different from a diesel to a gas, we tune both and do some big turbo custom gas tuning too.

Several tools circulating so a wait list is pretty rare unless we're running a sale. MQB (2015 golf/sw/A3 and newer GTIs etc) are port flash-able as well.

We support all TDI DSG models.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
yes it is available for the 2015 Passat and Jetta

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes the shift pattern is very different from a diesel to a gas, we tune both and do some big turbo custom gas tuning too.

Several tools circulating so a wait list is pretty rare unless we're running a sale. MQB (2015 golf/sw/A3 and newer GTIs etc) are port flash-able as well.

We support all TDI DSG models.

you guys get a 1.8t Gen3 EA888 tune out yet that can run 87? Take my money, I don't want to go down the road with APR.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We've made really solid power out of them on Canadian 94 (us 92 at best), they build torque like an ea288 to 250wtq, but I don't think we'll be messing around with an 87 tune. APR is probably your best bet there to be honest.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Awww TAKE ME MONEY!!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
prob the same as this statement

"I would recommend you go with Malone over any thing from Kerma."