tdi to 1975 to 85 toyota pu transaxle 2wd

vwdriver10

TDI
caddy
do you know anyone that has experience transfering the 1.9tdi with the entire transaxle front frame section?

what about 1.9.tdi installed to the toyota 2wd transmission rear axel ?

what was the fuel mileage? how many hours to do the swap?

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
There would be way too much fabrication involved in trying to use the transverse setup in a pickup. ACME adapters has a kit to mate a toyota trans to the VW engines. Much easier, and probably much cheaper. Also pretty well proven so no where near the trial and error.

vwdriver10

TDI
caddy
thank you for a response . i located acme on a search engine . my goal is the fuel milage , hopefully acme will know what mpg they are getting or have some testimonial.
i see you have vcds , does it have kits with plug to convert pre1996 vehicles to plug for emissions?

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Ross tech does offer adapters to connect with VWs obd1 system. I believe it is a 2+2 adapter on the older ones. Acme only offers the adaptation parts, I dont believe they actually do conversions. Look up member Jimbote's conversion thread. He took a newer taco and put together a hybrid BHW/ALH engine. Most people swap into 4x4 toyotas though. As far as mileage, Im not sure what they are getting. There is a W58 (i believe) that has more ideal gears for the diesel. There is a member here swapping an alh into a BMW 2002, and he found a better geared toyota box for that. Im sure there are probably some 2wd toyota swaps buried here somewhere, those threads would be your best source.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
My swap is a 2wd, its ongoing, cant tell you MPG, not driven much. 2WD is the way to go if you are doing the swap for MPG, the stock 2wd toyota is lighter than the Jetta. Stick to stock size tires, rotating mass has a big hit on MPG. Jetta owners comment that they lose MPG just going from 15" to 16" wheels, imagine the difference going from 25" to 31"+ tires. There are a few 2wd gear ratios that can put you in the proper RPM band without going with taller tires to get you there.