Is 900lb's in the back of an 09 TDI ok?

Devoid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hi, later on today I need to pickup some equipment in my 09 TDI sedan and I worked out the total weight to be ~900lb's.
This should all fit in the trunk without a problem but I am unsure if it is wise to put that much extra weight in the trunk, I have never hauled anything close to this amount before.

So should I stop worrying or start planning on multiple trips? It's only ~10miles so it isn't too far and multiple trips is not out of the question but it would be great if I could get away with one :)

Opinions?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Well, with stock suspension I wouldn't recommend it....
I put 700 lbs in the back of my MK3, it was close to bottoming out even with Bilstein HDs...

Vendor shilling line removed.

Take care,
-BB

Last edited by a moderator:

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Sip'n Diesel said:
assume 4 adults @ 225 pounds each. that would give you the same weight, but it would be spread out evenly instead of in the rear
I wish I was close to 225... :D I can't seem to gain much weight...:(

To the OP, I agree with the others. Two trips, and if you need to do this often get a suitable hitch and trailer and you will be golden.

my .02

Btw that cow pic was LOL funny.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
900 lbs?? I'd think that'd be pretty tough for any car. That's almost the payload of a full size pickup.

I've carried ~350 in my trunk & it's not comfortable ... bottoms out pretty easy.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
My 700 lbs. consisted of coming back from a vendor with 20x VR6 clutch and flywheel kits (38lbs ea)...guess that makes 760 lbs. Saved me a bundle in shipping as I transported them 750 miles. Didn't take up much space either :-/...going up the passes the EGTs were a bit higher though!
-BB

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
good point
Devoid said:
Hi, later on today I need to pickup some equipment in my 09 TDI sedan and I worked out the total weight to be ~900lb's.
This should all fit in the trunk without a problem but I am unsure if it is wise to put that much extra weight in the trunk, I have never hauled anything close to this amount before
what kind of equipment that heavy fits in the trunk? are you planning on at least folding the seats down? if this was not a sedan but a JSW maybe... you might find this much easier to just borrow a buddy's pickup;)

Last edited:

Devoid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
As it turns out I never had to make any trips. I was supposed to pick up some computer servers for work which someone was giving away but someone else beat me to it.

There is some great information in this thread though.

Out of curiosity does anyone know the weight of the engine/transmission and what the weight balance is like between the wheels?

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
900lbs of servers? That's a lot of servers :)
But definitely something you could have done in multiple trips - a 2U loaded server weight in at ~50lbs. At least you know for next time.

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't wait........ the new Jetta TDI series 1500! While we are at it, Four wheel drive, 6" lift, mudder tires, a winch, and one of those heavy duty bumpers to move them damn cows and deer out of the way that are on the trail! The shame of it all........... :D

Note: I would definitely go with the manual trans!

Last edited:

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I've had 750 lbs of topsoil (25lb bags, not loose!!) spread out in my MK4 over the trunk and backseat with the seats folded down, and it was fine.
Never bottomed out.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Sip'n Diesel said:
Funny thing is my agency just had a statewide meeting a couple weeks ago and this pic appeared in a Powerpoint! (For comic relief of course.) :eek: If they weighed 500# each (and they look bigger than that) then this car is holding up well.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Devoid said:
Out of curiosity does anyone know the weight of the engine/transmission and what the weight balance is like between the wheels?
My Jetta weighed 3240 lbs on the scales (full fuel, no one in it); 1900 on the front tires, 1340 on the rear tires. GVRW is 4256 lbs leaving me 935 lbs to work with.