Transmission Solenoid Replacement

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
So I am thinking I am going to tackle this repair. Backstory, my 2005 TDI Golf Mk4 auto is having a issue where it won't shift out of first gear until heated up. Once heated, it runs like a champ!

My questions are:

1- How long does this repair take or should I plan on?
2- I have a spot outside my condo building I plan to do the work on. Does the car need to be level or can I do the by driving the front up ramps just to make room for me to work. The back up is I can do this at a DIY auto shop that has lifts, but thats $40 a hour.
3- Once done, how do I add fluid and or how much? The service shop said it was at the right level currently.
4- Do I bite the bullet and find a shop willing to do it? Whats the ball park here?
5- I was looking at this kit. Comes with fluid but they sell a version without if I need to get different fluids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK4-GTI...382414?hash=item3d3737658e:g:3sEAAOSwuLZY0hTT

Thoughts? Thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try this site-
KansasCityTDI.com
Home of TDI Club member CoolAirVW. He can be very helpful. I'd at least ask about that ebay kit, one year warranty scares me.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Coil Air Vw?

1. Its fairly difficult.
2. Needs to be mostly level when you do the fill procedure.
3. there is a fill tube up top, you'll have to break off a locking ring, and then the cap is still pretty hard to get off because it has two lock tabs. Its in a tight spot but doable. We fill them through the check plug with a pump that pushes the fluid up to avoid doing that because its difficult.
4. Depends on your ability.
5. I have no experience with that kit. But if it has "mitsubishi" emblems on it just like the originals then its fine. Dont use the chinese kit. We tried one but the brackets were so poorly formed that two of them wouldn'teven bolt up. I've seen on internet a couple times that the trans failed shortly after chinese solenoids installed. I have no experience with that fluid.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Jasper puts Chinashift solenoids in their rebuilds.... ask me how I know :rolleyes:

I agree, get the good Mitsubishi Electronics parts. I'd also splice in a new ATF temp sensor.

oilhammer

TDI
I'm suprised that jasper rebuilds that unit. I know at one point they did NOT rebuild 01ms.
They rebuild other Jatcos, as we've had to deal with their (Jasper) garbage in Nissans before.

We do not use them, but we get to yank their gray painted crap out quite often.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I checked and those Ebay parts are from www.Wolfsburgtuning.com. The solenoids are Lübeck Automotive Parts. Appears to be a German company, but info is lacking.

I'm taking interest because I have a Jetta with same concern. I have found if you run it up to red line in first then let off it will go from 1st to 4th about the time it returns to idle. Then you either push into Tip or drive VERY conservative to prevent a down shift.

I will say this is not a repair for a first timer. BTW - found out a long time ago that JATCO works fine on Mercon fluid.

Jason

oilhammer

TDI
Sonnax I know has them. ATP, Transtar, there are others I'm sure. We usually get them from the dealer though. Or just replace the valve body (which comes with all new ones).