Need assistance for GLI cluster swap

Berk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH @200K
Because of my outdoor hobbies I really need the temp readings in the cluster. Recently sourced a gli cluster w temp sensor and wondering if any of you can install/program it for me as I do not have necessary tools/softwares.
Happy to cover your time(within reason)

Let me k
Cheers

Berk

Car. Mk4 2003 jetta wagon tdi

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
See if Wingnut can help with the swap... I haven't done one in years and would rather not expirement on someone else's car. Also a couple of things

When you say gli cluster, you mean the sport tdi cluster with diesel rpm or is it the actual gli cluster with gas rpm? Because if you're planning on swapping dials to diesel ones you will need eeprom dumps to reprogram the cluster to match the rpms and speedometer. By doing so you run the risk of bricking the cluster if you upload the wrong eeprom dumps, I learned this the hard way and bricked a cluster.

Secondly, you will need an MFA wiper stalk to be able to control the menus on the actually MFA.. Then you need to run 4 or 5 wires from the stalk to cluster pin out to actually have the stalk function and control the MFA screen. Along with this, for the temp sensor you will need to run a wire through the engine bay to the cluster pinouts to enable the reading...

A swap like this from non mfa to mfa is fairly involved as you can see

Berk

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey man,
thanks for explaining the stages. No, I havent purchased anything yet, just sourced a gas gli cluster.
had missed the installing a new MAF-wiper-stalk part. it is a serious job, not sure anybody would spend hours on somebody' car. :confused:

Even though it is a long shot, offer stands for any one. would cover your time:)

Cheers

Berk

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The MFA installation part is a little bit involved indeed. You need to remove the steering wheel to get to it and then like I said you need to pull wires from the stalk to the cluster pinouts. I also can't remember if you need a new connector for the stalk to the cluster pinouts, or if you can just add the wires to the stalk connector pinouts. Now that I mentioned this, you will also need repair wires... I remember I sourced mine from the wreck yard by cutting them from a different cluster and then going through the big bunch I had to get the ones that match the connector pinouts from the stalk and cluster....there's different connecting ends on these wires... I think b5.5 had different connecting ends then mk4 clusters for example...

This an example of a repair wire... Don't go buying them though, it's a ripoff as you can clearly see

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wire-set/000979010e/

I would give myself a refresher and help but I'm going to be out of town for a month

Berk

Veteran Member
TDI
@Seatman
That was the post that started all this lol

I would give myself a refresher and help but I'm going to be out of town for a month
On your return if you feel like you'd have some spare time and willingness to help out please let me know. I am not in hurry and skeptical that somebody would raise hand any time soon.:):):)

Cheers

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
@Seatman
That was the post that started all this lol

On your return if you feel like you'd have some spare time and willingness to help out please let me know. I am not in hurry and skeptical that somebody would raise hand any time soon.:):):)

Cheers
for sure!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I would suggest sourcing a TDI cluster to do the swap. The GLI cluster will not have an LED in the glow plug spot. It would also require an EEPROM flash to convert the tach to the correct RPM. Lots available for cheap in the UK. Swapping faces to get KPH is easy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BORA-...TH-CHROME-SURROUND-1J5-920-926-C/372248099012

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk4-Bora-Sport-Clocks-Diesel-1J5-920-926-C/263412479418

If you want to save a few bucks, you can get non sport ones for much less:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk4-1-9tdi-Instrument-Cluster-1j0-920-926-C/282926968704

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-...Cluster-Unit-Bosch-1J0-920-926-C/361900436434

Do a search for the following part numbers to get more results:

Sport 1/2 MFA = 1J5 920 926C
Reg 1/2 MFA = 1J0 920 926C
Sport Full FIS = 1J5 920 946C
Reg Full FIS = 1J0 920 926C

Breakdown of the part number:

Example: 1J5 920 926 C

First 2 numbers indicates what type of vehicle the part is from. (1J=Jetta/Golf, 1C = Beetle, 3C = Passat, etc.)
Third number indicates type of cluster (0=plain, 5=sport)
Fourth number is always a 9. It just means that it is an electrical part in the ETKA system (1 = engine, 3 = transmission, 8 = body, 9 = electrical, etc.)
Fifth & sixtgh number indicates whether it is a CAN BUS cluster or not (19 = no CAN, 20 = CAN)
Seventh digit indicates speedo miles or KM (8 = KM, 9 = Miles)
Eigth digit indicates whether it is a plain, MFA or FIS cluster. (0 = plain, 2 = MFA, 4 = FIS). MFA = half height display, FIS = full height display
Ninth digit indicates Immobilizer info (>5 = Immo II, 6 or 7 = Immo III)

The last letter indicates the engine type & transmission combo. It provides the info on tach redline, top speed on the speedo, whether it has the automatic LCD window, etc. There are MANY possibilities on deciphering that letter as it varies from year to year. I have not researched it at all, so can't give any specific examples other than the C in this example has diesel tach, manual transmission, top speed 260kph.

You can source metric clusters from germany, or france, but they are typically much more expensive. The best option is the UK and swap the speedo faces.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I didn't even think about the glow plug light but yea wingnut is right