IBW Gets a New Engine

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree. I thought I'd get much worse on the return trip but didn't. Current tank is at 450 with the tank still 5/8th full so I think the fills are accurate (clear fuel in the neck each time, as always).

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Awesome! Looks to be my next upgrade when I do the "5th gear oiling mod"

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Whatever happened to the other motor? Was it warrantied ( me hopes!)
ROFLMAO! I highly doubt IBW's first (OE) engine was warrantied! From reading here, that motor was asked to make twice its factory rated power for over 200k miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The supplier refused to honor the warranty on the first (failed) replacement engine. I ended up contesting the charge, and had to get two letters from certified mechanics to explain that the engine was faulty. They finally approved the contested charge...two weeks ago.

VWmeow

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The supplier refused to honor the warranty on the first (failed) replacement engine. I ended up contesting the charge, and had to get two letters from certified mechanics to explain that the engine was faulty. They finally approved the contested charge...two weeks ago.
Yeah, I figured as much.... warrantees dont mean anything unless you are willing to fight... piece of **** company... I will cross them off my list and you should report them as a vendor to beware of in this forum..:mad:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Awesome IBW

You're a legend, and your car !

Congratulations on the new engine, hope you can make it to the 1/2 Million mile club !

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Is IBW still running good, Peter?

You know, I have less than 132K on my original ALH. The Günther tune that I have won't allow me over 4500 rpm. Germans and their safety consciences, I guess.

Hope you're doing well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
IBW is running awesome, thanks for asking. I just checked when posting on another thread and noticed that 18 of the last 20 fills were over 700 miles, despite lots of short trips and runs at 80+ MPH. My rear calipers are getting cranky and the transmission is showing its age, but otherwise it's running like a champ. And I still love driving it. I have a PD transmission with 95K on it in my garage, just trying to decide if I want to install it as is or swap in a 3.15 R&P first. I've got 31K on the new engine and it's feeling much more broken in. If I can find a good shop I may try and get it on a dyno this Spring. I'd like to see what numbers it's making.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
2 year update

Twenty-five months ago, almost to the day, I picked up IBW after its two engine replacements at Kraftwerke. Two years ago this weekend PeterV, Jetter-Sprintah, and I drove to the 2015 Detroit Auto Show. And tonight I just returned from the 2017 show in IBW.

In the last two years we've covered exactly 50K miles. As of today it has 344K on it. I don't know where I drive, but there you have it. The car has gotten a lot of updates since then including Koni Reds, brakes all around including rear carriers, control arms, rear axle bushings, a new door lock and comfort module to cure the flaky door locks, HIDs, then removed, and replaced with stock lights with fogs, a clear bra, snow tires, radio head unit, and probably some things I'm forgetting. It's run without incident, average FE has climbed back into the high 40s in summer, mid-40s in winter.

It's still a pleasure to drive. It's a bit louder than before. I think as the compression has come up it runs less boost, making the exhaust louder. I've considered putting a stock tailpipe and muffler on it, but don't want the back pressure. On the fence about that. And in the Spring we're going to replace the core support as the front bumper is now held on by three screws. The others are broken in the support. It will also need an A/C expansion valve in the spring. A/C works, but isn't as strong as it used to be.

Here it is this summer in Heath, MA, visiting my son:

I'm driving the red Golf more as a daily lately, so IBW may accumulate miles a bit more slowly for a while. But it's still a wonderful ride.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
amazing journey.
i've done nothing to mine but got my 93 chevy 4 door 3500 diesel back on the road after losing my job.
F U BOP.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Cool! Don't know if VW will ever make another car as amazing as the ALH wagons were. Congrats! :)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The Apple nerd in me says that you could think of the Golf as a Jetta Wagon Mini. :D

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
... Who puts this much money and effort in a 12 year old 300K car anyway? I guess I do when I like it better than just about anything else I can buy ...
And I do (although my car has lived a cushy life in comparison so has needed no major work at 423,000 miles). A car that you're not making payments on has to be in terrible shape to not be a smart car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Was thinking yesterday that I should be able to drive this car for another five years, accidents notwithstanding. By then it'll be 20 years old and probably have about 450K miles on it.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
A car that you're not making payments on has to be in terrible shape to not be a smart car.
Yes and no.

When you get to the point that you have to pay "semi-retail" for struts, flywheel, clutch, timing belt kit, injectors, axles, downpipe, bushings, wheel bearings because they all have 225000 miles on them and you still didn't repair the A/C and your turbo has 250000 miles on it and the body rust is appearing, it's a harder decision. And while my car was used, it was definitely not in terrible shape.

$5-6K into a $3K car. That would have covered a lot of new payments on a newer one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe the economics don't work when you take the value of the car into account, but when you look at dealer service costs on newer cars it's pretty clear that $5-6K won't get you far. I forget how far you've driven your wagon, Mike, but if you look at the repair costs over the service life you've gotten out of the car things look better.

I've spent way more on IBW than any sane person would, but I've also driven it 344K miles. With that in mind it doesn't really matter what it's worth, I've already gotten good value from it. And as you said to me the other day, what are we going to do with these cars when we're done with them? It's hard to imagine anyone would want them.

I was thinking yesterday that I should be able to drive the wagon for another 5 years before rust takes over (again) and parts get hard to source. By then I'll have had it 20 years and about 450K miles. Most likely I'll be ready for a change by then.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's an interesting discussion. Purchased at 47,000 miles for $14k cash in 2007.

Driven 240,000 miles and spent $16,500 on repairs/maintenance. I've spent $2400 on fuel during that time.

If I wasn't so against car loans, I'd be in something else already. I long for a USB port and a climate control. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
USB port is easy. I have a JVC stereo head unit with a port (and bluetooth) bought through Dealnews for about $40. Works great.

And you could get your A/C fixed...

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lol. I knew you'd jump on the USB port. It's a metaphor - which I think you were aware. And I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls which aftermarket head units don't without some gymnastics.

But does the new radio actually receive radio stations? (cause these wagon's suck at that)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
This guy has no gymnastics involved. Highly recommend. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Xf3HybN4ZECXN

If you want climatronic just install it, it's a pain, but your going to need to re-foam your blower doors at some point anyway and you may as well upgrade.

That said, I'm driving a super cheap 2013 Leaf that I paid about the same for stereo/ climatronic/ etc as I did for the entire Nissan Leaf which has climatronic (well Nissan version) and a decent modern head unit.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I didn't know about the steering wheel controls. Don't have those.

And funny you should ask, the radio doesn't receive stations. When Chill swapped it in two weeks ago the antenna adapter was stuck in the old head unit. He didn't have another. I don't really mind, since I generally stream stations through my phone and bluetooth. But I'll get one in there at some point. I'm having a little trouble finding one, actually.