www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 9th, 2013, 19:07   #1
Woodworker

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Default heat issue after blend door repair

I am finding that I a only getting low levels of heat from the defroster vents and the floor vents. Last weekend I pulled the dash and replaced the heater core. I also re-covered the blend doors. They were missing the foam on them.

This procedure was done because I was only getting heat from the floor vents and the windshield vents. I was a little surprised to find that I am still only getting heat from the floor vents and the windshield vents and the amount of heat is quite low.

I have found the hoses connected to the heater core quite hot.

Is there anything that I should review or service?

Thanks,

Jerome
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:02   #2
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

control flap moving freely and not binding in one position?
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:19   #3
Zeph

Even if your mode selector rotates freely, the cable may not be moving enough if the plastic or clip that hold the bicycle cable onto the back of the climate control unit (CCU) in the center console has broken. I would check there before pulling the dash a second time. When I recovered the foam on my blend and mode doors one of the plastic tabs on the CCU that the clip mounts to broke, I was able to repair it using a couple of tie wraps.

~If it ain't broke, you aren't using it to its full potential.
Zeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 16:17   #4
Woodworker

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta

I think that this is what is wrong. The knobs are not rotating quite freely. The air flow modes don't quite match up with how they are labeled. At the very least I don't have cold air blowing at me all of the time now.

You say that it is possible to pull the CCU without pulling the dash? I like that Idea. I'll pull the CCU later this week and see what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Even if your mode selector rotates freely, the cable may not be moving enough if the plastic or clip that hold the bicycle cable onto the back of the climate control unit (CCU) in the center console has broken. I would check there before pulling the dash a second time. When I recovered the foam on my blend and mode doors one of the plastic tabs on the CCU that the clip mounts to broke, I was able to repair it using a couple of tie wraps.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote