Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI on Bio

laurag0486

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Does anyone in this forum own this vehicle 2004 to 2008 and using B100 biodiesel or blending bio/diesel. The motor is the 10 cylinder tdi v10..If so, any problems running on this fuel. I'm in the market to buy one..:confused:

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
DO NOT run anything more than B5 in a V10 PD engine unless you want to face $6000 in repairs plus labor (about $2000).

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I also have no experience with this vehicle and biodiesel. I think you will have a hard time finding much information; there were so few of them, and not many of the few seem to be on this forum. And how many of those few have tried biodiesel?

Personally, I think you will probably be just fine running biodiesel in it, but you may have to be the one to find out. Be aware of the risk you are taking, particularly if you use homemade fuel. And let us know how it works.

What does the owner's manual say about biodiesel?

gdorris

TDI
05 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI, 96 B4V TDI (74K mi.) for sale
DO NOT run anything more than B5 in a V10 PD engine unless you want to face $6000 in repairs plus labor (about $2000).
Not sure what data that statement is based on. My experience with 10k mi of running b100 in a 2004 PD v10 tdi is that it runs just as well as does my wife's 2005 Jetta PD tdi after 75k mi. on B100. No fuel related problems in either vehicle. However, the OP will want to do a DPF delete tune on 2006-7 Touaregs to eliminate the possibility of crankcase oil dilution for those years.

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
However, the OP will want to do a DPF delete tune on 2006-7 Touaregs to eliminate the possibility of crankcase oil dilution for those years.
How is the DPF related to oil dilution? I was under the impression they are separate issues.

gdorris

TDI
How is the DPF related to oil dilution? I was under the impression they are separate issues.
Post injection of fuel on exhaust stroke that, for diesel, will vaporize and light off a DPF purge, but B100 condenses on cylinder walls (due to higher vaporization temp) and makes it by oil rings and into the crankcase. Use of b100 does not by itself result in crankcase oil dilution but for the DPF post ignition injection.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
In any case, DPF or not, I think it would be wise to have an oil analysis done after 5,000 miles or so. Not a bad idea with any vehicle, on any fuel.

Gdorris: Glad to hear you are having success with B100. How do you like the vehicle otherwise?

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
Post injection of fuel on exhaust stroke that, for diesel, will vaporize and light off a DPF purge, but B100 condenses on cylinder walls (due to higher vaporization temp) and makes it by oil rings and into the crankcase. Use of b100 does not by itself result in crankcase oil dilution but for the DPF post ignition injection.
Does the DPF delete tune eliminate the post injection? And is the DPF hardware removed?

gdorris

TDI
Does the DPF delete tune eliminate the post injection? And is the DPF hardware removed?
The post injection is eliminated, the DPF hardware need not be eliminated, as long as the driver does a manual purge periodically by increasing EGTs enough to ignite accumulated soot (e.g., WOT at low RPMs uphill). The soot production of B100 is much lower than diesel and the ignition temp of B100 soot is much lower than that of diesel soot so periodic manual purges should suffice. This is especially true if the DPF delete tune is also a performance tune, which will result in higher EGTs if driven accordingly. That is the theory theory anyway. There was no DPF on my 2004 so I am basing the above on research I have done.

gdorris

TDI
In any case, DPF or not, I think it would be wise to have an oil analysis done after 5,000 miles or so. Not a bad idea with any vehicle, on any fuel.

Gdorris: Glad to hear you are having success with B100. How do you like the vehicle otherwise?
I did UOAs at 10K mi on B100 that identified no problems and more life left in the oil (I did change at 10K). The car was a beast and a blast to drive. I loved it. Great on B100. Great for road trips and stupid good offroad capability. The perfect example of too much never being enough. However, It is a midsize SUV - seats 5 with only moderate cargo capacity. It also is stupid expensive to fix if/when turbos or alternators go because the engine must be removed to access them. I sold it so I could sleep better at night.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Remove the engine to access the alternator! That is a good reason not to own the car.

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
could be a good reason not to own one but....I wouldnt want to drive anything else. I absolutely love mine, nothing like it. Just like the old saying "If you wanna play you gotta pay" so far mine has been extremely reliable and it provides a big smile just about everytime I get in it. I havent run any BIO thru it and probably wont. I've run plenty thru my old Benz's and mechanical 7.3L without issue. You'll love the V10, dont be scared.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
5% is better than no percent! It's actually GOOD for the engine so long as it's ASTM certified (at a reputable fueling station). Higher cetane and lubricity levels, even at 5%.

gelaedenwagon

TDI
beetle
Does anyone in this forum own this vehicle 2004 to 2008 and using B100 biodiesel or blending bio/diesel. The motor is the 10 cylinder tdi v10..If so, any problems running on this fuel. I'm in the market to buy one..:confused:
I have an 06 v10 and I’ve run everything but homemade biodiesel through my truck. No problem whatsoever. B99 from dog patch in SF back in the day, B20 these days available at most stations . I’ve done the DPR delete and R50 tune as well. 14 years of proof biodiesel is fine(with the dpf delete)