TDI
2009 Jetta
Mt HPFP Failure

Year: 2009

Build Date: 5/20/2009

Make/Model: Jetta TDI

Tranny: DSG

Mileage: 78,209

Diesel Fuel Source: Local Mobile station.

Additives: No

Problem: HPFP failed
Description of failure: I was driving up a hill in a neighboring town and my car lost all power almost instantly. My ""MDF" read "Engine Fault Workshop" and my glow plug light started rapidly flashing. I was able to shift the car to neutral and coast to the top of the hill, then once reaching the apex of the hill, coast into a grocery store parking lot. My car was completely dead, and I had to tow it to the dealer.

Dealer: Gorman McCracken Volkswagen

Status: VW apporved repair under warranty. I have been told vehicle will be ready about 5/8/2012.

I have filed with NHTSA.

Last edited:

2010TDIWagen

TDI
2010 Wagen
Year: 2010

Build date: To follow

MM: Jetta Sport Wagen

Trans: DSG auto

Mileage: 25,528

Diesel fuel source when failure: Well used busy Diesel Hess station. Used many times before. Normal diet of Shell & Hess.

Additives: None/Never.

Problem: HPFP Failed @ 50mph suddendly. Metal parts in system. Towed car to dealer. Cranked fine but would not restart.

Dealer: Reeves VW ot Tampa

Status: VW approved repair under warranty. 7-10 repair process is what we were told.

I have filed with NHSTA.

AJALE

TDI
2010 jetta Sedan TDI
Another HPFP failures

Build Date: August, 2009
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan TDI
Mileage: 47,627
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly 76, and Shell
Problem: HPFP Failed. Metal found in the fuel pump due to HPFP self-destruction.
Dealer: Steven Creek VW
Status: Repaired and paid for by VW. Replaced the whole fuel system, tank, 3 fuel pumps, all lines and hoses.

todd4218

TDI
Golf 2011
Year: 2011
Build Date: Unsure
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: Auto
Mileage: About 31,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Various - Fill up wherever I am
Problem: Was driving on freeway and "Check Engine Now" came on and yellow coil blinked and lost power/acceleration. Limped to dealership. Service rep told me 1 hour later that there were aluminum shavings in my fuel injectors and the whole fuel system needed to be replaced. He said that this was mostly happening in California and that the cause was thought to be poorly regulated diesel fuel quality in California and that I had probably been filling up at cheap stations (which is true, I have been at times). He never mentioned the HPFP as the source of the shavings. Made me think it was from the fuel. In the future advised me to only fill up at Chevron and Shell. When I said it worried me to have such major work done on a fairly new car, he assured me the tech knows how to do this because he's been doing 5-8 a month for awhile now.
Dealer: Fladeboe VW in Irvine, Ca
Status: They will fix it under warranty. Gave me a loaner car for a week. Will replace the entire fuel system.

I didn't know about the HPFP until I searched around online and found this and other forums. Considering trading the car now. Not sure I want to risk a $8-10,000 future repair that VW may or may not pay for.

Last edited:

rinsco

TDI
2009 Jetta
Build Date: August 2008
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Mileage: 93438
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron or Valero typically. Sometimes Shell
Problem: HPFP Failed.
Dealer: Clovis Volkswagen

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI sedan with DSG with 93438 miles. Build date August 2008. Typically fueled at either Chevron or Valero. No additives have been used with the diesel fuel. We experienced a complete loss of power, no restart, glow plug light on. The car was towed into the local VW dealer (VW of Clovis, CA). The towing was an experience in itself, because the tow truck actually ran out of gas with our car loaded on its bed. Unbelievable! The dealer told us that we had HPFP failure and that typically they only see that when fueled with gas. We explained calmly, that we are the only people who drive the car and after 90000(+) miles, we think we know to fill the car with diesel and not gas. We did have an extended warranty for 100000 miles which we purchased when we bought the car new. The car was repaired by the VW dealer who was reimbursed by the third party warranty company. Total cost to the warranty company was $7139.85. We had a $100 deductible.

We did file a report with the NHTSA. We actually received a follow up email within 24 hours asking for details of how the car died, how VW responded, and if it is to be taken care of under warranty? They asked if it would be possible to get a copy of the receipt to see exactly which parts were replaced and the cost.

Now, the big dilemma, do we keep the car and risk another failure, or sell it??

Last edited:

JonD-2.7tDallas

TDI
2011 Jetta SW TDI
Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Mileage: 18881
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Shell, some Exxon
Problem: (HPFP failed, metal in fuel system
Dealer: Metro VW Irving, TX

seeuarndjimmy

TDI
11 United Gray 2.0 TDI
Build Date: bought the car in May 2011/dunno build date
Make/Model: Golf TDI 4dr
Mileage: 22,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron, but last 2 fill-ups was SHELL
Problem: (HPFP failed)
Dealer: Mekkenia VW, Cerritos California
Status: Dealer covered, no hassle and got a BROWN 2.5 JETTA SE as a loaner

Last edited:

bort

TDI
2011 Golf 6 speed 2 door
Build Date: 10/2010
Make/Model: Golf TDI 2dr
Tranny: 6 speed manual
Mileage: 18,800
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, same station for all fill-ups
Problem: (HPFP failed)
Dealer: New Century VW, Glendale, CA

zaius60

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2009 Jetta TDI
HPFP Failure

Build Date: 01/08
Make/Model: VW/Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG, 6M: 6M
Mileage: 81584
Diesel Fuel Source: Kwik Serv (Oliver Rd. Fairfield, CA), Travis AFB gas station
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: HPFP came apart, metal flakes in fuel system
Dealer: Momentum VW, Fairfield, CA
Status: Dealer claims "contamination", insurance (USAA) won't pay. no one has tested the fuel so I don't even know if it is "contaminated" or with what. :(. Quote from VW $8300, Quote from independant repair shop $5600 (Kovac's Motors, San Rafael, CA).

vwmj

TDI
09 jetta sportwagen
Build Date: 4/2008
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 59000
Diesel Fuel Source: Hess or Mobil mostly
Additives: (No)
Problem: HPFP Failed. While driving lights came on then car stalled would not start. Had to push car to the side of road and be towed to the dealer. Upon inspection stated that fuel pump exploded which causes metal shavings to be spread throughout system.
Dealer: Platinum Volkswagen
Status: Reparied (they replaced entire fuel system)after fighting with dealer and VW. Finally got car back after 30 days and it has been running very well since. Currently have 10k miles on car after repair

Redwave92

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date: 08/08
Mileage: 59,060
Diesel Fuel Source: Varied, burned B5 until that source dried up, then primarily Chevron, BP or Sunoco
Additives: Opti-Lube XPD after B5 was no longer available
Problem: Car lost power at a traffic light. Restarted the car and made it home in limp mode. Scanned with VAG-COM and fault was low fuel rail pressure. Would not restart the next morning and had it towed to the dealer.
Dealer: Jack Ingram VW, Montgomery, AL
Status: Repaired under warranty. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA shortly after I received the vehicle back from the dealer. Drove the car without incident for another 7,000 miles or so until the DSG started acting up again and VW would not cover the repair under the DSG extended warranty. Reluctantly, I have since traded the vehicle.

Last edited:

vonnie77

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I just joined this exclusive club
Build Date: not sure 08 some time
Tranny: manual 6sp
Mileage: 25010
Diesel Fuel Source: BP D2 Diesel/Shell D2 Diesel
Additives: Power Service
Problem: car had problems starting/eventually would start and seem to run fine for a a few miles. At restart up same problems starting then glow plug light flashed (wouldnt boost properly) eventually had car towed. Mechanic said found metal flakes and shavings in fuel filter. Currently being diagnosed by VW.
STATUS: After only 3 hassle free days. I have my car back and it is running great. Did not pay for anything. They did not even quesiton anything. Just ran the analysis and found the HPFP faulty and had it completely fixed. VW Autobarn of Mt Prospect IL Did a fantastic job.

Last edited:

kenny doggins

TDI
2010 wagen
Build Date: not sure
Make/Model: sportwagen
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 40K
Diesel Fuel Source: reputable stations, chevron mostly
Additives: I actually just put in diesel kleen for the first time when i was doing the 40K maintenance. Definitely not a factor. On a side note, felt like an idiot buying the stuff and telling myself it was ok to add this to every tank just to prevent the car from imploding.
Problem: Car ran normal, everything great. I was doing the 40K maintenance myself, and when opened the ff found shards of metal. Went directly to dealer, and had service manager open the ff and document the problem.
Dealer: Dropped it off late yesterday, will hear from them Monday. VW of Oakland. Had the 10k, 20k, and 30k done there.
Status: It's still under 70K extended warranty, so my feeling is they will at least "fix" it free. I plan on selling it or trading in to dealer for a gas 4 door gti or something. I would not feel good selling this vehicle to a private party. Also want to get rid of it before everyone is afraid of these CR's.

Last edited:

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
Another one bites the dust!
*Year: 2009
*Build Date: 6/2008?
*Model: Jetta Sedan
*Trans: DSG
*Mileage: 142,000
*Diesel Fuel: Speedway or Marathon(NO BIO) Power Service added Monthly for Maintenance.
*Problem: Engine workshop light came on, loss of power and then stopped running. TEAM VW in Merrillville Indiana diagnosed as failed HPFP. Needs complete replacement $8,120.00 quoted to repair.
*Status: VW declined any assistance so it looks like i may try the repairs myself before i trade it in.
*Other: This is my second VW product from new and its also my LAST! VW customer service acknowledges the problem but does not stand behind their product. No wonder they are loosing loyalty!:eek:

******Update*****: Special authorization was given to dealerfrom VW to repair at no cost to me due to the number of related HPFP failures. Thank You TEAM VW in Merrillville Indiana!!!!

Last edited:

sickmtbnutcase

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Build Date: 2/09 (I think)
Mileage: 60,509
Diesel Fuel Source: BP almost exclusively
Additives: None
Problem: 60k maintenance recently completed, by me. Yes I ran the pumps, 7 times, to ensure they were purged of air. No metal flakes on the filter at 40k, but a very small amount were present at 60k. Only 100 miles since the last fillup. Been brutal hot here lately too. Glow plug light flashed, Engine Fault Workshop displayed. Codes for fuel rail pressure low are present.
Dealer: Boucher VW. Franklin, WI.
Status: Confirmed HPFP failure, but no fuel system contamination. Does not seem to be the "spray metal everywhere" type failure. Update 11:08am 7/10/12. VW will warranty it. Techs have checked tank, flushed lines and rail - no metal flakes present so just a pump replacement.

In the ultimate irony, we were headed to the VW dealer to test drive a new Passat....
Will do my best to get a look at and photograph the pump guts. NHTSA case opened.

Last edited:

ErickL

TDI
2009 Jetta
Build Date: ?
Mileage: 56,200
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell most times (and Shell before incident)
Problem: HPFP failed at about 40 mph. About same story as everyone else. Flashing glo light, loss of power, turned off and had successful restart with no warning lights. Drove for about 1/2 mile and flashing glo light appeared again. Engine was shaking. Pulled off road and had towed to Dealer. Diagnosis was contaminated fuel lead to failed HPFP.
Dealer: Ocala, Florida Volkwagen
Status: Currently in for repairs but am told Dealer will replace entire fuel system (pumps, injectors, rails, lines, etc.) at VW's cost, except for the gas tank . Dealer was great to work with, familiar with these situations, and has said that they see a few (1 to 2) of these situations every month, and service 5 or 6 diesels every day. Filed a complaint with NHTSA. Hoping Dealer repairs with more tolerant HPFP.

SCWC_WV

TDI
2009 Jetta SW
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Tranny: Automatic
Mileage: @64,000 - 65,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Various but always at high traffic stations (and Big Pool Exxon in Maryland before incident)
Problem: HPFP failed at about 25 mph. As I was pulling out of secondary road onto the main road, glo light began to flash, and there was a loss of power with the message: "engine fault." Then the car just stopped while I was going down a steep hill. I coasted to the bottom of the hill and pulled off the road at the bottom of the hill. (I waited 4 hours for a tow truck -- but that's another matter -- AND it was Friday the 13th!) The car would not start again. I had the car towed to Star Motor where I had purchased it.
Diagnosis: Metal shavings throughout the fuel system as a result of HPFP.
Dealer: Star Motor, West Virginia
Status: Currently in for repairs. The car requires replacement of the entire fuel system. The first question asked of me was I sure I used diesel fuel. Duh! I have my diesel fuel receipts and have them available if needed. I filed a claim with VW which is willing to pay for all parts, leaving me with $1650 left to pay. After reviewing every Jetta TDI listing here, I see that 63.5% of the Jetta HPFP issues pertain to the 2009 model. Also, VW has paid 100% of the repairs for cars out of warranty with far greater mileage than mine. So I am not done with VW or the dealership. I went back to VW after having a Subaru that I had driven to 160,000 miles without any issues other than anticipated timing belt replacement, brakes, etc. This is my fourth VW. Our family has purchased over ten vehicles at this dealership which has always been very responsive. I'll update.

UPDATE: Dealer refuses to provide any additional assistance. I did learn that this is the third case they have had -- all the others occurred under 60,000 miles. It really makes me wonder how many unreported cases are out there. I do plan to fix the car and trade it immediately. I'll never buy a VW again. At least now I have learned to search for forums such as this so that I can better inform myself regarding vehicles. I certainly wish Subarus got better mileage because they manufacture a hardy vehicle. I'll file a claim with NHTSA while I still own the car, and I have contacts to VW's general counsel so I am not done yet.

Last edited:

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
fuel pump failure

Build Date: car at dealer
Make/Model: jetta tdi auto
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage:54000
Diesel Fuel Source: Turkey Hill

July 2, 2012, Monday. Driving 45 mph and glow plug light starts flashing, goes into limp mode. Drive home 15 minutes, call dealer. Tells me to recycle (turn off and on). It went away, he says it is okay to drive it. So I drove the rest of the week and took it in on Friday, July 6. Nothing turned up on the diagonostic, service said it could have been something in the fuel rail. The next week July 12 I was on highway and accelerated and the lights came on again, went into limp mode. Pulled over, turned off and on, no flashing lights. Drove it home. Called on Monday July 16, explained that the glo plug light came on and went limp mode. The car is operation but is sluggish and I am concerned. Brought the car in on Tuesday July 17. They still have it.

They are trying to get approval from vw of america to replace the pump at no charge. NOTE I just joined this forum (so thanks for the education!!)...I knew nothing about the bad fuel pump, spent last nite reading all the posts.

So I called the dealer this morning and spoke to my service rep and told him about what I read and if he was aware of it. He doesn't read online hearsay and only listens to volks of america. I asked him if they looked in the filter to see if metal shavings, he said they checked the filter and found nothing, it was fine. So that is good.

ne31097

TDI
2011 Golf
2011 Golf TDI HPFP Failure 7/23

Build Date: Unknown
Make/Model: VW Golf TDI
Mileage: 14190
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron, I am the only one who fuels the car and I did not/would not put gasoline in the tank.
Problem: HPFP failed while running 70MPH on the highway. Check engine, glow plug warning. I limped off the highway and the car died partially in an intersection about 1/4 mile from my VW dealership. They found metal pieces through full delivery system.
Dealer: Stevens Creek VW of San Jose, CA
Status: Back running, Dealer covered all repairs under warranty without question. Entire fuel delivery system was replaced, except the fuel tank. Anyone know if the fuel tank not being replaced should be a concern? I asked the service rep and he was pretty adamant it did not need replacement.

I also entered a complaint on the NHTSA website and they followed up with me for details the next day. If you haven't already done this, you should do so if you suffered similar failure.

Last edited:

RoccoRcr

TDI
2011 Gold TDI
Build Date:unknown
Make/Model: Golf TDi
Mileage: 9114
Diesel Fuel Source: Usually and at the time of failure it was Shell but occasionally others (Chevron)
Problem: With no warning and when accelerating onto the highway (~70 mph) the "service engine immediately" and glo plug likes began flashing. The car entered limp mode and I pulled over. I was 200 miles from the nearest dealer (600 from home). Roadside assistance arranged a tow and after 10 hours of waiting and being towed the car arrived at the dealer.

Dealership initially indicated that it was a FPR that failed. Replacing that a day later (they had to order it) did not fix the issue. They then replaced the HPFP and return lines. Car was returned and runs smoothly... for now.
Dealer: Ehrlich, Greeley CO. - Their service was smooth and accommodating. I truly appreciate how easy it was to work with them.
Status: Dealer replaced the parts and returned the car. All covered under warranty.

Thank you for posting this thread. Reading it while waiting in the hotel allowed me to have an informed conversation with the service department. Hopefully VW corporate realizes that this is a recurring issue and offers a fix or recall. I could not imagine paying for this outside warranty.

*Edit* When I asked, the dealership indicated no metal shavings were found in the car. Take their word as far as you will. *Edit*

Last edited:

quietTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date: 05/09
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 45445 miles (Trip: 348.5 on that tank)
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Chevron (almost exclusively)
Additives: (Yes/No) No (I do now, though!)
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed, metal shavings in fuel filter housing (have pics)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Crown Motor Company, Tyler Texas
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
Resolved 100% and dealer replaced everything. No issues at all with our dealership service department. Contacted VWoA and opened a case before contacting service department. They did NOT provide a rental/loaner for the week I was without my car and I had to pay towing ($375) to get the car to Tyler.

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
Year: 2012
Build Date: I think Sept 2011.
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDi
Mileage: 10K
Diesel Fuel Source: Exxon
Additives: Yes Diesel Kleen with each fill up.
Problem: Only talked to them once but Fuel Pump failed and metal shavings in tank and lines and so on. Will up date after more info.
Dealer: Gerald Jones VW of Augusta
Status: Towed in yesterday they are ordering $8500 worth of parts.

Last edited:

marc.d.taylor

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2009
HPFP failure strikes again!

Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 37002
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Mobil but any name brand station while traveling
Problem: HPFP failed; metal particles disbursed downstream
Dealer: Stan Olsen VW, Omaha, NE (not the dealer I purchased the car from)
Status: In progress; so far VW is replacing pump, injectors and parts in between; NHTSA report filed; will petition VW to pay for towing, motel and car rental as this happened while on vacation in Nebraska and other expenses incurred going back to NE to retrieve my car from Illinois.

Update: Retrieved my car earlier this week and drove back to Illinois without incident. I don't know about you all gang, but in my dimwitted mind a fuel pump should not fail on a modern diesel car that is three years old with just over 37000 miles. Furthermore, failure of such a pump shouldn't cause so much collateral damage. I am appreciative of the fact that VW repaired the car after the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper warranty expired. However, it is amazing to me that fuel pumps and injectors and parts in between are not considered part of the power train. I know there would have to be an allowance for normal wear and tear. Just saying!

And boy most satisfying of all is that the dealer put the yellow stickers around my fuel filler area. It is a good thing to have after driving diesel powered cars for over 14 years now w/o ever, ever putting gasoline in to have these reminders so prominently placed.

I must say my experience with Stan Olsen was very good. They seem to do good work. If I ever moved to Omaha, I know where I would have the car serviced.

Last edited:

TR10

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta TDI, 6MT. Salsa!
Year: 2012

Build Date: Feb 29th, 2012

Make/Model: Volkswagen Golf TDI, Autobahn package

Mileage: 6,519 (precise, at time of failure)

Diesel Fuel Source: Shell Station on Florida Turnpike

Problem: Preliminary report from dealer is that HPFP self-destructed and sent fuel everywhere. No further information at this time regarding testing what was in the tank, rust in the canister, etc.

Dealer: Purchased from Chris at Langhorne VW, being serviced at Gunther Volkswagen of Coconut Creek

Feel free to follow my thread, as it contains all the specific information surrounding my hpfp failure and subsequent actions; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3900149#post3900149

NHTSA complaint filed, also documented with VW Customer Service.

Saltlick48103

TDI
2009 Jetta
hpfp failure

Build Date:
Make/Model: VW/Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG, 6M Auto
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began)
44,000+ miles
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)
This tank was Sunoco. Usually Sunoco, Citgo, BP

Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP, don't have full details. Glow plug light came on, then died as I was exiting freeway.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Howard Cooper of Ann Arbor, MI

Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
Dealer called VW warranty, all is covered except rental car, fluids, and diagnostic charge. Failed on Monday, should be ready for pickup on Friday. Not sure of extent, except $4500 quote for parts.

bigmacd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI w/nav
Year:2011
Build Date: NOT CERTAIN
Make/Model: Jetta sedan TDI w/nav
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 38,250mi
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Murphy Oil or major available
Additives: (Yes/No) NO
Problem: Background: The DPF light came on three days prior to failure but was off by the end of the day. Then on a trip to see family an hour away from the dealership the flashing glow plug light came on and car lost power and then shut off. Car restarted once and ran long enough to make it to a safe parking spot. Had car towed to the dealer ($350 on a Sunday). Called the service department the next morning to alert them that my car had been delivered to them and to explain the events leading up to the failure. Service guy said he thinks it could have been the pump in the tank but would have to have his techs check it out to verify. He called back that afternoon and confirmed that the pump had basically come apart and sent metal shavings through out the fuel system. He said that there should be no issue with the powertrain warranty covering but did say that he would have to go through VWoA procedures of reporting and testing it. He said that it would take a couple days to get all parts in and about a day to do the installation. So far I have great experience with this service department and have no concerns that they will fix it properly.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Status: Still pending, hopefully by the start of next week it will be up and running.
This is our first TDI and we have put nearly 40k on it in the first year. We are considering trading it in for a new one for fear of the cost associated with the vehicle once it runs past its current warranty period, which should come in about 8 months. What are your thoughts on trading up to another car that barely made it past its first year before incurring a major warranty issue. Fluke bad draw or a major concern for future models?

Currently fixed, covered under warranty, replaced everything except fuel tank.

Last edited:

gruder18

TDI
2010 Jetta
Year:2010
Build Date:10/09
Make/Model:Jetta Sedan
Mileage: 35,702
Diesel Fuel Source: 76
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: Pacific VW in Hawthorne, CA
Status: Dealer fixed everything with 4 days of breakdown; NHSTA complaint filed and reported to VWOA.

Last edited:

Data-saurus

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen
And another one

Build date: unknown (car at dealer)

Make/Model: Jetta TDI sportwagen

Mileage: Approx 16,000

Diesel Fuel source: Citgo and Chevron

Problem background: I was approaching an intersection with a major highway when the glow-plug-light came on. The engine immediately died, and I was able to get the vehicle stopped before I ended up in cross-traffic. I could not get the vehicle started again. It was towed to our local VW dealership, where they initially blamed it on water in the fuel.

Upon flushing the fuel system, it still would not start, so they dug a little deeper. They took apart the fuel pump, and discovered that it had self-destructed. We're looking at a $10k repair bill... ****** EDIT****** initial information incorrect. Volkswagen IS covering the fuel system under warranty

Dealer: Lee Volkswagen of Fort Walton Beach, Florida

NHTSA: not yet filed

********** EDIT ***********

See above

Last edited:

philsgr8

TDI
Golf 2009
Make/Model: 4dr Golf TDI
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 26500
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Mostly shell
Problem: Stopped by friend's place for 15 minutes. Came back and car would not start. Engine would not turn. Multiple attempts to start car while waiting for VW tow truck driver to arrive. He was unable to start car. Next morning, dealer started car. Investigated fuel and found water/algae. Fuel was flushed and replaced by dealer. The same day car was picked up from dealer, I made a quick stop and when I returned to car, it would not start. Multiple unsuccessful attempt until tow truck driver arrived. Required tow driver 4 minutes to start car with near constant key turning engine and pumping pedal. Car started. Brought car back to dealer. NHTSA was contacted and they suggested providing dealer with results of defect investigation EA11003 at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/defectsearch.cfm. VW is now going to replace fuel pump and fuel lines under warranty.
Dealer: Maund

jchall101

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
failure

Build Date: bought 6/09, will put build on here when I get car back from dealer
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDi
Mileage: 64,5xx
Diesel Fuel Source: local station that sells diesel only
Additives: no, will in future though
Problem: just put rear brakes on car and was on way to parts store to return piston retractor, glow plug light came on car seemed to be running rough few seconds later MIL light came on and car would only run about 20mph. Pulled into parts store asked to check code, lady said didn't know what the code meant but looked bad. Wouldn't start back. Towed to local foreign car repair shop, they pulled fuel filter and said it looked like i was panning for gold and recommended taking it to vw. After another tow to the vw dealer ~100 miles away said it would take a couple of days to look at. Got the call HPFP failure replace everything about $7,700 maybe more. They said not covered call insurance company.
Dealer: North Point VW North Little Rock, AR
Status: so far... insurance company said would cover it if they could sample the diesel and it was tested bad. So I arranged for VW not to drain the tank until insurance could get sample. Also told the dealership to put all parts directly in the trunk, that I needed them. That is when I phoned VofA customer service and was given a case number. Today VW dealer called and said VW is paying for everything. Said it will take a week or more for all the parts to come in and at least 2 days to put all in car. The dealer did offer to get me a car if I would come down there, but I don't really want to drive 200 miles to get a rental car. Will try to update when get car back and also still filing a report with the NHTSA, even though VW paid for my case who knows if/when it will happen again to me or anybody else.