Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I'm getting close to finishing the Mk20 install in my 2000 Beetle. It is really cramped in there and I had to take a lot of stuff out... but that's another story.

Does the ASR module require coding? Will the unit do its traction control thing and accept the switch without doing ANY adaptation?

Thanks.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Has anybody tried this on an '03 without ESP? Would the ECU from an '03 with ESP have a different p/n than the ECU from an '03 without it?

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Well, I finished installing the unit and flushing and bleeding it with some nice Ate Racing Blue fluid. It took me a little over two liters though, and at $10 a liter, not too cheap. That's with hand-filling the reservoir during the ABS/ASR unit bleeding procedure, which I did in an attempt to save fluid since I was alone and don't move that fast anymore! Used the mity-vac to remove the excess in the reservoir after bleeding the calipers and clutch. The front end was on ramps which made the fluid level seem less that it really was.

Alas, there is no snow around any more to test it out, thankfully, I suppose, but much to my delight, the car seems to stop well, the ABS works, there are no controller errors and the hydraulic fittings don't seem to leak (knock on wood). Just in case this might be useful at some point, the data on the controller is:
vag #: 1J0 907 379 AF
component: ASR 29 IE CAN 001
soft coding: 13204
shop #: WSC 00066

The next project is to install the switch I guess, which I suppose requires tapping into some wires which are probably under the stuff I just reinstalled. Oh well. Any tips on wiring? I admit I have to read the above material more closely.

Thanks to all the trailblazers: the "ginnie pigs" and the instigator of this worthy "experiment".

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VF,

Did you use Vag-com to bleed the Hydro Unit? Did you bleed it for each wheel?

Did you contact PeterV for the switch??

L

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I followed the 17-step procedure in Bentley and in vag-com. There seems to be a cycle of pushing down hard on the pedal during which time the pump runs and the pedal is pushed up, opening the front bleed screws, running the pump again, pushing the pedal 10 times, and then closing the bleed screws. I filled up the reservoir at this point. This whole cycle was repeated several times, after which time all the calipers (and the clutch circuit) were flushed and bled, for which I used the Motive bleeder.

Yes, PeterV's switch is now mine! I just have to figure out how to put it in (and make it functional)!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Well, I'm finished! Got the switch wired up following BirdMan and Tonglsi's direction. Seems to work fine. Might have to wait 'til next winter to give it a test though.

Thanks again to the above, SVTWEB, danix and everybody who contributed to this thread.

What I did:

- Used splice connector on the gray with black wire from terminal 15 as noted by Tongsli. Very tight in there. Retaped everything.

- Routed the ASR wire through existing wire conduit from my gauge project and through the firewall grommet by the accelerator pedal.

- Used the defogger hot lead for switched power.

- Used the defogger dimmer leads, power and ground, for the ASR switch lighting.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VF,

Congrats!!! The switch doesn't handle much power. Just enough to tell the ASR unit to stop working

Cool, isn't it?

L

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Thank you all for taking the time and effort to figure out how to add ASR. I was able to get a used Mk20 unit (pump and module) for $150. While I am waiting for this to arrive, I will be hooking up the switch. Since specs call for 0.5 mm wiring, would this be near 18AWG size? Thanks.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Very cool, Lito!

I sort of matched the wires in there by cannibalizing some test leads I had. I'm not familiar with gauges, but the wire is quite thin, like telephone wire. On my Beetle I removed the fascia that encloses the gauge to get a good look at things. You could do the same to scope things out. Even perhaps attach the wires and stuff ahead of time. (oops, just reread. that's what you're planning)

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Thanks, VelvetFoot. I will see what similar size wires are used from another wiring diagram, then trace those down in the car. Hopefully, the dash icon LED is in place.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
I did get a used module and pump from a junkyard in Wisconsin. It was $150, and the switch with connector was $25. The part no. is 1J0 614 379R. I hooked up the switch, and it does light up. There was no wire to position 14 on the green 32-pin connector at the back of the instrument cluster. I installed one, and is powered through the switch, but have not did the pump/module swap out. I do not get a dash icon. Might it not be there, or does it need a signal from the module to light up? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Somewhere back through this post we found you do not need to run a wire to the 32 pin on cluster. If you have Pins 1-2 hooked up on the switch all you need to do is run 1 wire from Pin 6 on the switch to pin 15 gray/black on the ASR unit. and run pin 5 on the switch to switch power in the car.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Thanks again, Birdman. That hook-up makes more sense than the diagram in the Bentley manual Next time I have a few minutes, I will check out the T-25 connector and see if there is a wire at pin 15. It would make wiring a lot easier that way, instead of running a new wire through the fire wall, assuming the gray/black wire is there.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The gray/black wire will be toward the fender last one in the middle row of the SMALL wire section. There is a power section but you will see the differance when you get in there, The pin numbers are hard to see they are stamped on the bottom of the housing the connector hooks to.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
I am a little curious, now. How does the dash icon get its power? If it is not through pin 14 on the green (32 pin)connector, then how does it get to the LED? Thanks for the info on where to find pin 15.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We don,t really know where it is getting it's power from. The wiring digram of the cluster does not show a real current flow chart. But it does work on three i have done. On the 4th for some reason the ASR light works when needed on ice but the switch does not turn on the light. switch on light on means ASR is disabled. Hopefully at the next GTG we will sort it out. Also this has been plug and play just putting the new unit in and NOT touching any wires and it works. No reprograming or anything. I did do 1 Very early 1999.5 golf that the ASR works but no light on the dash. we never checked into it as we ran out of time and he had a 8 hour drive home. It may be the light is not there or needs to be wired like the book says plus he did not want a switch anyway.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
I am hoping that my 2000 Golf has the LED in place, just as the rear-fog was in place. On that, I did have to add a wire to the blue connector on the back of the instrument cluster. I will have to wait until the pump/module install to see if it is there. thanks for the thoughts.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did Lito,s 2000 and it had the light but it is a euro cluster. So far all the ones i have done EXCEPT the 1999.5 golf had euro clusters in them. But if i were a betting man i would say your light is there.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
I hope that it is there. If it is not, I will be a little disappointed, but not to the point of tearing the cluster apart to add it, or to go out and buy the Euro cluster. The nice thing about this forum is all of the input I have received.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You can go through the output tests with VAG-COM and one of the tests lights up every light there is in the cluster. If it's there, it will light.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Thanks, MOGolf. While I do not have a vag-com, a friend does. I have wondered if there was a function to get all LEDs to light up. Next time I am over his house, I will ask him to try it. I am thinking that a vag-com would be a handy thing to have.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
With the help of a friend (mostly his effort), the ASR/EDL was installed this weekend. I did use the advice to hook the ASR switch into pin no. 15 of the 25-pin plug at the module. This did work. When the switch is pressed to turn it off, the dash icon does light. It also comes on as a lamp check at start up. Now, to find some gravel and try it out to see if it works. Thanks all, for your pioneering efforts and suggestions.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You will also notice that the EDL works too. both wheels will spin off the line. At least DeeBee's did. WHen testing the ASR put one wheel on gravel and one on the hard road.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
The next step would be, as suggested, to put one wheel in gravel, and the other on pavement. The first attempt at wiring the switch following the paper version of the Bentley did not get the icon to light. After trying Birdman's suggestion of taping into pin 25/15, it did work. Perhaps the pin 32/14 (back of cluster) is not active. I left the connection in place between the wire from the switch and 25/15 and 32/14. I think the one to 32/14 is redundant.

TDI_DEB

TDI
Jetta GLS Wagon, 2002, Reflex Silver, Automatic
RRTom, go out and find some gravel. I would like to know how it works.