Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Ahhhh, 20 to 30 times is slightly more than 3 :D I'll bleed everything again and cycle the ABS module 20 times.

Yeah, the ASR is kicking in all the time for me (in daily driving), I couldn't imagine trying to rallycross with it on.

Thanks, Mindless!

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I'm about to put mine in, but I don't have a set of flare nut wrenches (or even open ended). What size are the line fittings?
Nevermind, it's 11mm.

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
cheeba said:
Do you guys know where I can find the exact procedure that I need? Birdman, which "steps" are you referring to?

I swapped the ABS modules, then followed the VAG-COM procedure for bleeding the ABS module (I activated it 3 times via VAG-COM), then bled the brakes with my Motive Power Bleeder in the order outlined in the Bentley. Do I need another person for manual pumping when swapping ABS modules or something? I've never swapped a module before, but I've bled brakes a few times and everytime the result was perfect.
If you followed the vag-com specs for bleeding the ABS unit it would have been more then 3 times, I do not remember how many times it was but more like 13 or more times on the front wheels only. check your Bentley manual it will give you directions. The Vag-Com will also walk you through the bleeding but you need the Bentley to tell you what number in the controller to put the vag-com on. But it will run the ASR pump then you bleed it then run the pump and bleed the other side while watching the Vag-com walk you through it.

Last edited:

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Interesting . . . there is definitely no mention of how many times to activate the ABS module in my (paper) Bentley :mad:

jcrews, it's a bit of a pain but it is possible to swap the module/controller with regular wrenches.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I don't recall reading it in my Bentley either, but the VAG-COM definitely walked me through it dozens of times. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever finish by the time I was done.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I operated the pump a bunch of times with the valves closed, and then with them open, and so on until no more bubbles came out. It was pretty easy, and my brake pedal is just as responsive as before. I didn't have a B manual, so I just did what VAG-COM told me to do when I used basic settings channel 001, then 002. This way, the pedal builds some prepressure for the pump to enough draw fluid, and when the valves are opened, and channel 002 is invoked, the bubbles shoot out of the bleeder valves. After repeating that about 10 (or more, I lost count) times, I bled conventionally, and saw no additional bubbles.

An 11mm line wrench did the trick. A straight wrench would probably have made me angry.

Wiring the indicator was exactly as outlined in the current flow diagram. I had to install a repair wire (000-979-131) between the pump and switch, and then to pin 14 of the green cluster connector. I used 22AWG for the cluster IDC. The other three signals were simply taken from the hazard switch with some IDC tap splices. Overall, the job was very easy, and brake/clutch bleeding was even easier than my expectations.

For 2000>>, I don't have a clue why your wiring is different. I had a ground wire on pin 14, and no wire on pin 15 at the pump. If that hasn't been figured out, I conjecture that the [ABS pin 15] signal goes to the main/engine ECU, and is relayed by CAN to the cluster (2000>> does use CAN, right?).

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 2002 (2003 ECU swap now) I did not do any wiring at all, and the light in the cluster IS functional. I have the switch installed but have not wired it to the ABS pump harness yet, so I don't know if the light will stay illuminated when the ASR is deactivated or not yet.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
jcrews has an older car with a Mk 20 controller. It requires the wiring to the cluster and controller.

Mr. Mindless has a Mk 60 controller. It only requires wiring the switch to the controller and not the cluster.

Pressing the switch will deactivate the ASR and turn the cluster light ON until the switch is pressed again, or the car is turned off.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
iris said:
I looked for MSR and according to the explination of VW it's has to do with the engine.
MSR takes care that the wheels will NOT spin when you release the accelerator or when you shift to a lower gear on a wet or icy surface.
But the question remains if this is activated as well?
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Did anyone ever find out if the MSR feature is activated (along with the ASR upgrade) in TDIs with the Mark 20 or Mark 60 systems?
By the way, the letters MSR stand for the German words which mean Motor Drag Moment Control.
EDS is the same as EDL. EDS is Electronic Differentialsperre.
This thread is just too long to read to see if this info has been covered.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not noticed any effect in deceleration when downshifting since this mod - and I do believe that I have induced some deceleration slippage when downshifting this winter. If we ever get some snow again I'll do some testing...

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
VW Vet said:
Did anyone ever find out if the MSR feature is activated (along with the ASR upgrade) in TDIs with the Mark 20 or Mark 60 systems?
By the way, the letters MSR stand for the German words which mean Motor Drag Moment Control.
EDS is the same as EDL. EDS is Electronic Differentialsperre.
This thread is just too long to read to see if this info has been covered.
You might want to check your module coding. Mine is 13404 (ITT), but ASR/EDL/ABS is supposed to be 13204. I have operation tested both 13204 and 13404, and ASR/EDL works for each. Is this other coding documented in recent service manuals? Bosch (mk60) may have a separate code for MSR as well, so those coding tables may explain this better.

The easiest way to test MSR would be to log for and check the IQ. If it rises above 0 during overrun, then MSR is working.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
mr.mindless said:
On my 2002 (2003 ECU swap now) I did not do any wiring at all, and the light in the cluster IS functional. I have the switch installed but have not wired it to the ABS pump harness yet, so I don't know if the light will stay illuminated when the ASR is deactivated or not yet.
Mike,

I wired up my switch and yes, the light will stay on solid when ASR is deactivated via the dash switch.

Al

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MOGolf said:
jcrews has an older car with a Mk 20 controller. It requires the wiring to the cluster and controller.

Mr. Mindless has a Mk 60 controller. It only requires wiring the switch to the controller and not the cluster.

Pressing the switch will deactivate the ASR and turn the cluster light ON until the switch is pressed again, or the car is turned off.
Sorry MO the MK20s work the same way, on all the MK20s I did including my own all you need to make it work is to trade the ASR computers and the system will work and the lights will light up on the cluster no wiring needed at all UNLESS you want to turn the ASR off then you need the switch in the dash and I believe without looking up the thread you run one wire from pin 15? on the ASR unit to the switch and one wire from the switch to the ground, this turns the unit off when the switch is pressed. The other 2 pins on the switch are for wiring the switch lights to the Dash & headlights. there is no need to run any wires to the cluster on the MK20s. Sorry do not want to step on any toes here.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
compu_85 said:
EXCEPT for the 99.5's ;) You do have to run the wire form the ABS computer to the cluster on them.

-Jason
OK thanks good to know, I have seen other problems on the 99.5s when tring to install the EURO cluster They don,t want to program at all.

Last edited:

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
no '04's in here?

I finally just got through the whole thread, almost took me an hour. I would say that I know everything about switching in ASR on older units, but I didn't see anyone say anything about '04 models. I know that the '03 ECU is compatable, but has anyone messed with the '04? I went out and got the number off of my ABS module and it is 1JO 614 117 G, which is the same from the '03 version. I'm assuming that the retrofit is plug-and-play minus the minor wiring for the ASR switch (which I know has been covered atleast a thousand times on this thread)? If no one knows for sure I'll find a Mk60 and give it a try. Good thread though, very informative.

Last edited:

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Jasman,

'02 was a strange year due to the new MK60 pump and no ESP as a factory option. Thus, no code in the 'FD' ECU to run the ASR functionality even if the proper hydro unit was installed. Drop in an '03 (GN) ECU and the ESP code is there and can run the ASR pump.

'04 shouldn't be any different, as VW continued to offer ESP as an option until the MK4 Golf was discontinued in 2006 (US only).

Last edited:

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks alhutch. Its been a repeated question on this thread, but not for '04 year. I guess I needed a vote of confidence before I decided to start dumping in US funds. I'm working on getting a unit for my car right now. I guess BA motorsports is in portland which is just a jump across the river for me. I'll post on here once I get it in and let everyone know how it went.

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
I put the asr on my car last night and it works great. The problem I'm having is trying to find the asr dash light wire. How many pins does the connector on the mk 60 have? I just want to be sure I'm getting the right wire because on T25 I know its the 15 wire. I got into it last night but its tight next to the fire wall.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
on your car you should not have to do anything with the dash light. you need to make a connection on the pump side of the harness to be able to turn it off, is that what you're talking about?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You should not have to run any wires to the cluster it should already be hooked up and the light on the dash will flash on and off when the ASR is working put one wheel on dirt/ gravel and one on the hardtop and take off hard watching the dash if it is working the light will be flashing. The engine will also be cut back to around 2000 RPMs if you have the tires spinning.

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
I reread through most of thread, but I still didn't see an answer. I have the T47 connector because my hydro unit is a mk60. What I need to know is if the T47/15 wire is the one I tap on the hydro pump harness. I have everything else ran and the light in the dash works like it is suppose to. Problem is I can't turn the ASR off without hooking up the last wire from the switch to the harness.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I am reading the 03 wiring right you run a wire from T47/a 13 to one side of you switch T6/6 and from the switch T6/5 to a switched hot wire. Pins T6/1 and T6/2 run to your dimmer switch and ground so the light in the switch works with the other lights on the dash. I have a MK20 they used the T25/15 wire I believe.

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks MO thats what I was looking for. I thought that the wire number on the T47 was different. This weekend I'll take it apart and splice into 13/T47 and see how it works out.

Last edited:

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
Does anyone know if the abs/asr/edl/esp unit will work just for asr on an 04 jetta? The part number of the pump is 1J0 614 517 J. I already put the asr only unit on my golf, but I've been looking for one for my dad's jetta and I was hoping to expand my search to a couple of other part numbers.

Thanks

infoschumi

TDI
1.9 ALH
I would like to retrofit ASR on my Skoda Octavia mk1,from 2004.
After reading this entire post 2 times...I am very very confused.

Right now I have:
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Part No: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0001025
Shop #: WSC 31480

This is the part no for the ABS computer?
I have to change the computer+ABS pump?

What are the part no needed for my car?

jasman19

TDI
2004 Golf
That part number is for the mk 60 abs computer. You'll need to source the the computer and the pump. The part number for it is 1J0 614 417 D and you can also get the asr switch for your dash. You don't have to have the switch, but if you want to turn the asr off then you'll need it. If you install the asr switch you'll need to follow the wiring diagrams from earlier posts. Its really a pretty straight forward install, but if you have questions me or plenty of other guys can help you out.