Dealer put wrong oil in 2009 TDi - Now what?

rex379

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan (Manual) - Blue Graphite
I had the oil changed on my 2009 TDi at the dealer October 15, have put ~600 miles on it since. I reminded them about the oil requirement, but to be honest, did not go after them about it hard. I was not careful enough, apparently.

After reading a few post on the forum, I checked my invoice and the part # listed for the oil is ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP... which, after a quick search, is the SLX OE 505.01... great.

I know I need to go get it changed out for the correct oil immediately, but should I be concerned about any short term or long-term effects from 600 miles with the wrong oil? I know it "voids the warranty," but at this point, I just would like to know what the real issues are.

Now I know not to trust the dealer.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
rex379 said:
I had the oil changed on my 2009 TDi at the dealer October 15, have put ~600 miles on it since. I reminded them about the oil requirement, but to be honest, did not go after them about it hard. I was not careful enough, apparently.

After reading a few post on the forum, I checked my invoice and the part # listed for the oil is ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP... which, after a quick search, is the SLX OE 505.01... great.

I know I need to go get it changed out for the correct oil immediately, but should I be concerned about any short term or long-term effects from 600 miles with the wrong oil? I know it "voids the warranty," but at this point, I just would like to know what the real issues are.

Now I know not to trust the dealer.
Personally, I would push for them to extend my warranty and cover any engine issues that could arise. 600 miles or not - they screwed up, it could cause problems.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Change the oil and write a letter to VW and attach a copy of receipt with incorrect oil, and a copy of the receipt of the correct oil . Your covered.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Never mind the warranty issues for the moment. Get the right stuff (507.00 only) in there ASAP! :eek:

Good luck.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
505.01 oil may lead to damage to your particle trap. Change it now. An oil change is much cheaper then a new exhaust system!

-Jason

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would change it but I would not be all that worried about it. I would keep that receipt however.

Just one more reason why going to the dealer for service is not usually the best choice. Not only do they do the same dumb things independent mechanics do, but they charge more almost all the time.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Call VW cust assistance and document it with them.

If anything happens and the dealer trys to screw you, they will step in.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
ABSOLUTELY call and WRITE VwoA... it's VERY important that you document it in WRITING... keep copies, and send carbon's to your service department.

Using the wrong oil will ABSOLUTELY shorten the life of the emmission system. The dpf is not slated for inspection and possible replacement under normal conditions until 120K, but 505 oil could have a profound affect on the longevity of this item which is NOT a warranty item after 24,000 miles... it's not even warrantied as long as the remainder of the car!

Take your car to the dealer and make THEM change the oil. This will teach their guys a lesson and you can be reasonably sure it won't happen again.

Wes

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
So much for their worry-free 3yr/36k maintenance plan:rolleyes: ....wow,I didn't realize the DPF was only warrantied for only 24k....not much of a warranty:(

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
tdidieselbobny said:
So much for their worry-free 3yr/36k maintenance plan:rolleyes: ....wow,I didn't realize the DPF was only warrantied for only 24k....not much of a warranty:(
not that the "warranty" means anything either..

TheStig

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I hate dealerships who don't know what they are doing. My dealership told me that there was no way the TDI was rated 10,000 miles between oil changes even though the manual says so. They said it should be done every 5,000 miles at least.

You would think they'd know what they should be doing.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
TheStig said:
You would think they'd know what they should be doing.
We can only hope.

A good of the "blame" must be laid at the feet of the dealership management where a complete breakdown occurs addressing special needs of these cars via service bulletins issued by the parent company - - nobody appears to read the warnings :rolleyes: This is why buying one of these specialized machines isn't for everybody. You've got to be an active participant in the care and maintainence of a TDi as you can not rely upon the dealership for even the basics :eek: Truly a woeful commentary.

Furthermore, if you don't want to be a participant, don't buy a TDi ;)

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
none but getting a 09 soon (i relly want a 06 though!)
ya know its funny that so called vw master mechanics dont even pay attention about the oil they puit in our cars
yet we do a few hours of research on here and find half the info they dont know
im getting more nervous about my first 3 oil changes
and if its wrong no one will believe me not even my mom
shell say well its a smart mechanic he knows what hes doing

NosmoKing

Self-Exiled SPV, banned
TDI
2009 Jetta
Get an Oil Analysis and see if you have elevated wear levels. Present that to VW

TDI
2004 golf
NosmoKing said:
Get an Oil Analysis and see if you have elevated wear levels. Present that to VW
Why would 505.01 present higher wear numbers in a CR engine? 507.00 did pretty shoddy in my PD. His wear numbers will be high anyways, its a new engine, and breaking in. This would be a waste. Even if by some magical force, more engine wear occured, 600 miles isnt going to really affect the life of the engine.

TDI
2004 golf
Yea but even after 600 miles... surely the DPF will burn it off. Im sure a 10k run on 507 would generate as much as 600 miles on 505.01. Still a blunder of the dealer. If they would give you an ext. warranty, why not. Personally I wouldnt lose sleep over it. Just be cautious of the dealer, perhaps do your own oil changes.

NosmoKing

Self-Exiled SPV, banned
TDI
2009 Jetta
Revolutionary_mind said:
Why would 505.01 present higher wear numbers in a CR engine? 507.00 did pretty shoddy in my PD. His wear numbers will be high anyways, its a new engine, and breaking in. This would be a waste. Even if by some magical force, more engine wear occured, 600 miles isnt going to really affect the life of the engine.
The manual says don't use ANYTHING but 507.00. In emergencies you may use up to 1/2 quart of 5w30 that conforms to ACEA A3 specs.

Page 6: "If you use engine oil that does not expressly conform...to 507.00...very serious and very expensive damage to your vehicle's engine will occur." Out of 5 pages on the Diesel supplement for the 2009 they spend a page and 1/2 on this.

So, I'm going to be kind to you on this post, but if you continue to argue I will be less so. I had fresh venison for supper so I'm feeling aggressive. If it were me I would GET THE OA!

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
NosmoKing said:
The manual says don't use ANYTHING but 507.00. In emergencies you may use up to 1/2 quart of 5w30 that conforms to ACEA A3 specs.

Page 6: "If you use engine oil that does not expressly conform...to 507.00...very serious and very expensive damage to your vehicle's engine will occur." Out of 5 pages on the Diesel supplement for the 2009 they spend a page and 1/2 on this.

So, I'm going to be kind to you on this post, but if you continue to argue I will be less so. I had fresh venison for supper so I'm feeling aggressive. If it were me I would GET THE OA!
Pretty sad they think their customers are the ones screwing up the vehicles.

Something like this needs to be sent to dealers....

NosmoKing

Self-Exiled SPV, banned
TDI
2009 Jetta
Ur rite. Read my post "We need to educate our dealers!" They'll screw up our cars and then smirk when they wear out early. I feel sorry for TDI owners who don't know anything.

rex379

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan (Manual) - Blue Graphite
To update, the dealer changed the oil and filter for free, and the service manager spent a few minutes apologizing for the mistake and confusion. He said he has been going through the service bulletins and found nothing specifically from VW regarding 507.00 in the '09 TDi. An unacceptable excuse, frankly, but the issue was fairly well handled overall. They also gave me an extra quart for free. (The receipt says they charge $9.77/quart)

Since many of us will be using dealerships at least four times for service, I must endorse Harrison VW in Snellville to those around the Atlanta area. Especially since my car apparently served as guinea pig for the rest at that dealership. Still, I would remind them thoroughly. And I suppose we must be thankful for the V10 TDi, since the dealer would not even have the oil if it was not for those engines.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
NosmoKing said:

The main purpose of using 507 instead of 505.01 in an '09 is to help protect the emission equipment. From what I've seen the engine wear rates are pretty much the same. The VW warning is just legal stuff to protect the company from liability arising from oil misuse. They used the same wordage in their warning about the previous engine & oil standard.

NosmoKing

Self-Exiled SPV, banned
TDI
2009 Jetta
Why do they describe catastrophic failure then? If you use the wrong oil you could wreck the car. I read that someplace! Why is it all so confused? Is this why we all do not speak German?

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
NosmoKing said:
Why do they describe catastrophic failure then? If you use the wrong oil you could wreck the car. I read that someplace! Why is it all so confused? Is this why we all do not speak German?
They describe a catastrophic failure so that confused people like you are more likely to use the correct oil and less likely to succeed in court should they sue VW for a denied oil-related warranty claim.

Jzn8205

TDI
2009 TDI, DSG, Blue Graphite
Two dealers I have visited have NEVER heard of the 507.00 spec oil!
I called VWoA, and they really didn't either! Its very frustrating. The dealers know nothing it seems.

DrewD

Veteran Member
VW's should not be owned by anyone who doesn't do their own maintenance...plain and simple. Come to think of it, I would never take any of my cars to dealership for maintenance. I was out of town and wife developed oil leak and it cost her 100 bucks to tell her that her head gasket was blown. It took 1/2 oz of die and 30 minutes of driving when I got back to diagnose a leaking rear main seal on her ride. Dealership won't give me my money back but would credit me the 100 bucks on a RMS replacement. Nope, gonna do it myself :)

jjbrooks75

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagon
This is just the beginning; imagine how many TDI owners have no idea about 507.00.