VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
The best number I've used is the one on their website, and they answer every time.

If enough of us call maybe they will set up a line to receive branded claim inquiries.

For those who can't find it, the number for Leiff Cabraser is, 800-541-7358 and they normally transfer you to Max or Phong Nguyen

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Give me a break! It is easy to Google and call them and ask to speak to the person you want. Most of the attorneys there I have spoken with don't give out or want their number given out publicly. There is no number for salvage titles, only a general one for everything. No need to sift through when an easy search will find what you want in seconds. Not to mention you only asked for their phone number and email. When I provided that from an easy search you get upset? It is always the other person's fault for some people. Don't ask others to do for you what you can easily do for yourself.
Yawn.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The best number I've used is the one on their website, and they answer every time.

If enough of us call maybe they will set up a line to receive branded claim inquiries.

For those who can't find it, the number for Leiff Cabraser is, 800-541-7358 and they normally transfer you to Max or Phong Nguyen
Thank you for this, since I have a 3.0 effected by the Salvage title issue I will be calling them today. I will ask for Max or Phong specifically.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Volkswagen and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee have been working alongside other
stakeholders to address how the eligibility requirements apply to claims associated with a vehicle that
has been branded with a salvage title. A vehicle is designated as salvage when it has been damaged
or deemed a total loss by an insurance company that paid a claim on the vehicle. Some consumers
had purchased ++++++++++++Eligible Vehicles branded with a salvage title after ownership had been transferred to
an insurance company, and submitted claims for benefits under the Resolution Agreements. As of
August 17, 2017, there were :confused::confused::confused:253 such claims actively pending in the first ten-business-day review
period. These non-standard claim types are excluded from the first and second ten-business-day
review period timeliness analysis while the parties determine how the eligibility requirements should
be applied to them.
Finally, the first ten-business-day review period figures -- and the second ten-business-day
review period figures below -- exclude two groups of consumers who have submitted claims for
Volkswagen to process and who are not eligible Class Members pursuant to the Resolution
Agreements. First, as of August 17, 2017, there were 765 active claims from consumers who
initially purchased Eligible Vehicles in the United States but registered them in Canada.9

Last edited:

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
As of August 21, 2017, a total of 937 appeals (0.2% of all claims) had been filed by
consumers challenging determinations made by Volkswagen related to, among other issues,
eligibility decisions and award calculations. The CRC issued decision letters in connection with
107 appeals in which the Volkswagen and Class Counsel representatives agreed on the
outcome. Of those 107 appeals, no Claims Program eligibility or award determinations by
Volkswagen were reversed. The following is a summary of the CRC’s decisions:
 The CRC denied 67 appeals;
 The CRC ruled in in favor of the consumer in one instance;31
 The CRC ruled partially in favor of the consumer in two instances;32
 For 23 consumers, the CRC advised that the issues that were the subject of the
appeal had previously been resolved, thus mooting the appeal; and
 In 14 instances, the CRC advised the consumer that he or she may be eligible for
benefits, provided that a new claim be submitted for review and consideration.
The CRC has also reached agreement on the outcome of an additional 150 appeals, and
consumers will be notified of those decisions in the near future. As of August 21, 2017, the CRC
has not issued any decisions in which the Volkswagen and Class Counsel representatives did not
agree on the outcome. The CRC representatives will continue to review appeals and issue
decisions throughout the Claims Program.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Volkswagen and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee have been working alongside other
stakeholders to address how the eligibility requirements apply to claims associated with a vehicle that
has been branded with a salvage title. A vehicle is designated as salvage when it has been damaged
or deemed a total loss by an insurance company that paid a claim on the vehicle. Some consumers
had purchased ++++++++++++Eligible Vehicles branded with a salvage title after ownership had been transferred to
an insurance company, and submitted claims for benefits under the Resolution Agreements. As of
August 17, 2017, there were :confused::confused::confused:253 such claims actively pending in the first ten-business-day review
period. These non-standard claim types are excluded from the first and second ten-business-day
review period timeliness analysis while the parties determine how the eligibility requirements should
be applied to them.
Finally, the first ten-business-day review period figures -- and the second ten-business-day
review period figures below -- exclude two groups of consumers who have submitted claims for
Volkswagen to process and who are not eligible Class Members pursuant to the Resolution
Agreements. First, as of August 17, 2017, there were 765 active claims from consumers who
initially purchased Eligible Vehicles in the United States but registered them in Canada.9
As of August 21, 2017, a total of 937 appeals (0.2% of all claims) had been filed by
consumers challenging determinations made by Volkswagen related to, among other issues,
eligibility decisions and award calculations. The CRC issued decision letters in connection with
107 appeals in which the Volkswagen and Class Counsel representatives agreed on the
outcome. Of those 107 appeals, no Claims Program eligibility or award determinations by
Volkswagen were reversed. The following is a summary of the CRC’s decisions:
 The CRC denied 67 appeals;
 The CRC ruled in in favor of the consumer in one instance;31
 The CRC ruled partially in favor of the consumer in two instances;32
 For 23 consumers, the CRC advised that the issues that were the subject of the
appeal had previously been resolved, thus mooting the appeal; and
 In 14 instances, the CRC advised the consumer that he or she may be eligible for
benefits, provided that a new claim be submitted for review and consideration.
The CRC has also reached agreement on the outcome of an additional 150 appeals, and
consumers will be notified of those decisions in the near future. As of August 21, 2017, the CRC
has not issued any decisions in which the Volkswagen and Class Counsel representatives did not
agree on the outcome. The CRC representatives will continue to review appeals and issue
decisions throughout the Claims Program.
Interesting info, can you advise if this pertains to 2.0 or 3.0, or both? It appears that owners of salvage title vehicles aren't faring so well. It also appears that this info is more than a month old, anything newer to share?

Thanks again

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Interesting info, can you advise if this pertains to 2.0 or 3.0, or both? It appears that owners of salvage title vehicles aren't faring so well. It also appears that this info is more than a month old, anything newer to share?
Thanks again
It's from 2.0 website under claims supervisor report.It's the latest one.
You can go to 3,0 and look at the claims supervisor report from September 2017
Here is interesting info from 3.0:
Based on available data, as of September 12, 2017, there were forty-three consumer claims involving vehicles
branded with a salvage title.
So according to them there are only 253 of 2.0 claims and 43 of 3.0 claims with salvage title.
That number seems pretty low to me.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
It's from 2.0 website under claims supervisor report.It's the latest one.
You can go to 3,0 and look at the claims supervisor report from September 2017
Here is interesting info from 3.0:
Based on available data, as of September 12, 2017, there were forty-three consumer claims involving vehicles
branded with a salvage title.
So according to them there are only 253 of 2.0 claims and 43 of 3.0 claims with salvage title.
That number seems pretty low to me.
Seems very, very low...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Upon further review of the document found here

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/3Liter/Reports/VW-3.0L-Sep Report.pdf

Page 12:

Notably, Volkswagen and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee have been working together
to address how the eligibility requirements apply to vehicles branded with a salvage title. A vehicle is designated as salvage when it has been damaged or deemed a total loss by an insurance company that paid a claim on the vehicle. The Claims Supervisor will continue to exclude claims associated with a vehicle branded with a salvage title from the first and second ten business-day review period timeliness analysis until the parties determine how the eligibility requirements should be applied to these claims.

Interestingly enough, they don't acknowledge that these claims are being returned as "ineligible" they use the word "exclude".

Page 46:

Salvage Title Claims
An additional group of non-standard claims that Volkswagen addressed this quarterly
reporting period involved vehicles branded with a salvage title. As discussed in Section II above, a vehicle is designated as salvage when it has been damaged or deemed a total loss by an insurance company that paid a claim on the vehicle. Some consumers purchased Eligible Vehicles branded with a salvage title after ownership had been transferred to an insurance company, and submitted claims for benefits under the Resolution Agreements. Volkswagen and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee have been working together with other stakeholders to determine how the eligibility requirements should be applied to such claims.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
The key take away from that report to me is that they're wondering how eligibility requirements should be applied to salvage title claims. ...as if it's something new.

The settlement has nearly explicitly allowed for salvage title vehicles to come to the claims portal. There was a simple, 2-part AND statement in the settlement that excluded vehicles only if both parts of the statement were true. Thus, if one is true and the other false the vehicle is eligible. That's nearly explicit.

I've read prior posters state that eligibility is not the issue but how restitution shall be applied to the buyback amount when it was paid already to a prior owner that totaled their car. However, this report does not seem to elude to that issue.

Finally, in regard to spirit and letter discussions... I reject the idea that an eligible vehicle or owner might ever fall outside of the spirit simply because it's impossible to prove any owner or vehicle is within the spirit in so far as salvage title concerns go. Even clean title eligible owners or cars could be entirely outside the spirit - meaning owners may not at all feel harmed by VW and are simply motivated monetarily by getting a good deal from a generous buyer (VW). And on the flip-side salvage title owners of recently fixed, totaled cars may simply have had a love for the car but had a recent changed of heart wherein now they feel they've been harmed - and are thus within the spirit of the law.

Brica

TDI
Passat
2012 Jetta wagon rebuilt title

Dear

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.

Your request must include the following information:

Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Brica, your last post showed your car as ineligible which is certainly an issue, I guess. In my prior post just before yours I was writing in regard to eligible vehicles and eligible owners (that would be me) that have been put on hold for months because their title is branded.

There are a multitude of owner situations that write into this thread.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Dear
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.
Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Your request must include the following information:
Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.
^^^Exactly the message I got. The problem is the wording, if they are excluding the vehicle while they attempt to figure out how to pay restitution, why is the vehicle "ineligible"?

Brica, your last post showed your car as ineligible which is certainly an issue, I guess. In my prior post just before yours I was writing in regard to eligible vehicles and eligible owners (that would be me) that have been put on hold for months because their title is branded.

There are a multitude of owner situations that write into this thread.
Once again, many people have reported that their car has been determined "ineligible". To me, that is a huge difference between an open claim.

Brica

TDI
Passat
They supposed to tell me why the car is not eligible?
What I should do next?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
You can call and ask them.

If you disagree then submit your appeal like the rest of us.

When was your car title first branded salvage?
When was it rebuilt?

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Just a quick update.
They hold several of my clean title vehicles for over 4 months.
After speaking with one of the attorneys -she told me yesterday I am "caught" in middle of it.She said they consider buying for purpose of profit is not "in spirit" of settlement.
So not only branded,but all.I bought one owner 2015 Q7 for my wife about month ago and submitted claim as well-it's being held too-they will not even review my documents.
So if I sell it someone and he files claim it will go thru,but me-I am the bad guy who is not in the spirit.
EPA clean air act means nothing to them.
I know that Duval Ford from GA and Mission Audi out of CA bought about 100 times more vehicles then me,(some rebuilt too) so I tried to contact them,but I cannot get the right person to call me.I am wondering if they have the same issue or since they are big franchise dealers with big attorneys -they are not messed with.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Just a quick update.
They hold several of my clean title vehicles for over 4 months.
After speaking with one of the attorneys -she told me yesterday I am "caught" in middle of it.She said they consider buying for purpose of profit is not "in spirit" of settlement.
So not only branded,but all.I bought one owner 2015 Q7 for my wife about month ago and submitted claim as well-it's being held too-they will not even review my documents.
So if I sell it someone and he files claim it will go thru,but me-I am the bad guy who is not in the spirit.
EPA clean air act means nothing to them.
I know that Duval Ford from GA and Mission Audi out of CA bought about 100 times more vehicles then me,(some rebuilt too) so I tried to contact them,but I cannot get the right person to call me.I am wondering if they have the same issue or since they are big franchise dealers with big attorneys -they are not messed with.

LOL Duvall is an A-HOLE, he wouldn't even talk to you.

I have 1 salvage car and 1 rebuild that both have "documents completed" for a long time. All of my other claims are going through just fine. One thing I noticed is that my Schedule Appointment emails are now always 5 days after submitted signed offer letter - before it was instant.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
What I should do next?
The vagueness of their denial is frustrating.

"Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program."

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
LOL Duvall is an A-HOLE, he wouldn't even talk to you.
I have 1 salvage car and 1 rebuild that both have "documents completed" for a long time. All of my other claims are going through just fine. One thing I noticed is that my Schedule Appointment emails are now always 5 days after submitted signed offer letter - before it was instant.
I got an offer on one-clean title and submitted notarized offer over 7 weeks ago.
They always say-it's under review.
Nothing i can do.
Guess i am no longer "in spirit" of settlement,so i can sit on my cars.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I got an offer on one-clean title and submitted notarized offer over 7 weeks ago.
Nothing i can do.
The test for "spirit" seems flaky.

An owner who can care less about this diesel problem and simply likes his/her car all of a sudden finds the buyback offer to be a great deal (aka profiteering) he or she is against the spirit of the settlement. But how would the CRC know the profit motive of that owner unless they asked and the owner so stated? Clearly they don't ask and assume owner is within spirit.

The same can be stated the other way around. An owner who loves their car(s) all of a sudden becomes disillusioned by the diesel scandal for whatever reason and files a buyback claim. Again, how would the CRC know unless they asked? Clearly they don't but assume owner is outside the spirit.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
What I should do next?
Nothing i can do.
Time to call a lawyer.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
"the Spirit" of the settlement is irrelevant. VW promised to do what it took to get these polluting vehicles off of the road. No matter what, someone was going to get paid, why not me?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
"the Spirit" of the settlement is irrelevant. VW promised to do what it took to get these polluting vehicles off of the road. No matter what, someone was going to get paid, why not me?
Regardless, right or wrong (and I believe it is wrong), it is relevant in so far as what the CRC and plaintiff lawyers believe. When I contacted Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein in a message on their website I received a call from one of their lawyers who quoted the words "spirit of the settlement" as the issue with people who purchased salvaged cars for buyback after they'd been totaled. I was quite surprised at his mention of those words as those words were not in the settlement text within the context of eligibility. To me, it is subversive to the class (us) to link "spirit" as an additional test of eligibility and I'm disappointed the plaintiff lawyers do not question it.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
They are doing this "spirit" thing on clean title vehicles also? Someone posted their clean title is having this issue also.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
They are doing this "spirit" thing on clean title vehicles also? Someone posted their clean title is having this issue also.
Yes, correct. They seem to be holistically determining if every valid claim is within the "spirit" of the settlement. It appears if you have more than one car, clean or salvage, you are probably a bad person because you bought subsequent cars for profit whereas if you left the car to the prior owner or allowed a different owner to acquire the car then those owners are probably not bad, profiting people and they would be just fine buying it back.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
That doesn't make sense to me. I have done 2 in less then the last 7 weeks. No issues at all.