The "What did you do to your B5 passat today" thread...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Past schenanigans include swapping in a 6speed

Tearing it down to replace a bad pinion bearing

and deleting the BSM.

Today was a little more laid back - I popped off the L&R mirror glasses to confirm my suspicions - 126ohms and 240ohms - both mirror heaters are dead.

Ordered two new ones from Hong Kong

Task will be installing them, and a rear-view camera that replaces one of the Lic. plate lamps.

Also - just recently "installed" these little aero aids to see if they live up to the seller's claims (Jury is still out):

Springtime activities are going to be lowering it 1", installing KONI FSDs, and new summer tires.

Last edited:

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Let's see
Chained Balance Shaft Delete
Cam replaced
Front Wheel Bearings (what a PAIN!!)
Pump gasket replaced
Rear wheel hub replaced
Glow plugs replaced
Just last weekend I replaced the drivers side mirror light. CRAP replacement part, not as bright as the original,but at least it blinks!
d

Last edited:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Not today, but recently.

-Found my passat key that was lost during the move. Fired her up :)
-Picked up OEM B5.5 monster mats.
-Purchased DDM-Tuning 5k slim HID kit to install

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Rebuilt my o1e and put in a LSD the other day:

Machined some of the flywheel for rear main clearance:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I need that setup. :D

Questions:

Why'd you have the input shaft on the lathe?
How do you set the pinion depth and differ bearing spacing to get the pinion depth correct?
How much did the LSD cost?
Is that a 228mm or 240mm flywheel?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I need that setup. :D

Questions:

Why'd you have the input shaft on the lathe?
How do you set the pinion depth and differ bearing spacing to get the pinion depth correct?
How much did the LSD cost?
Is that a 228mm or 240mm flywheel?
I had help on almost all accounts, lol. Was at Whitbread's shop. LSD was 1200 ish with bearings. It is the Whitbread/clutchmaster's 240mm unit. Input shaft was on the lathe to polish the input shaft as it was a little crusty.

I caught most of what Matt was doing but assembled everything and used a dial gauge to measure the input shaft movement and re-shimmed. Kinda did the same thing with diff spacing but used marking compound on the ring gear before and after to shim it correctly.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Recoded my comfort system so that all doors unlock at a single remote unlock push as opposed to only unlocking the drivers door.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I did this shortly after getting the car, as well as recoding the rear hatch (wagon) to unlock with the other doors. Best mod ever next to the 6spd.

edthacker

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI Chainless, Colt Cam, 5 spd european tranny, rear air bags
Installed air lift bags in rear coil springs, wow what a difference! After 292K miles the rear springs were sacked causing front end clunk on small bumps and a bit of wander. Ranks up there with 5 speed and stage 2 tune as one of best things I've done to the car. Wife even commented about the improved ride.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
I did this shortly after getting the car, as well as recoding the rear hatch (wagon) to unlock with the other doors. Best mod ever next to the 6spd.
How did you code the hatch to work with the door locks? Didn't know that was possible. I decoded to get windows to roll up/down with remote with VCS-Pro; is that what you had to use?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, though I didn't do it myself - Wingnut did it for me. MSG him and I'm sure he'll let you know what was needed to code the hatch.

edthacker

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI Chainless, Colt Cam, 5 spd european tranny, rear air bags
RE: What brand are the air bags?
The Air bags are from Summit Racing part# air-60748 brand Air Lift 1000 system $84.99

Very easy install

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
Yes, though I didn't do it myself - Wingnut did it for me. MSG him and I'm sure he'll let you know what was needed to code the hatch.
I found some old posts. Dug out my Vagcom serial cable and VDS-Pro, and made the changes. Don't know how o overlooked this before. Works great.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Today - installed some cheap side mirror replacement glasses to address the blown heater elements in both. Also installed a backup Camera that works with my head unit, sits nicely in place of one of the license plate lamps, and actually creates coherent images at night.

The rearview mirror glasses suffered from the same fault as the last cheap pair I got from China - the retainer tabs were cast poorly and did not fully grasp the motor/plate it sits on. I had to take the dremel to the tabs and widen each of them about 1mm. After that they seem to sit fine.

I have not had a chance to check the heating function - will update on that as weather allows. The mirrors are convex on both sides, and the drivers side has a fake "aspherical" dotted line through it - pictures to come.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
After my tranny swap is done, I need to do that. In addition to turning off the locking upon hitting 10 mph thing. There may be other things like that I don't know about yet. Maybe recoding the Monsoon so that the volume goes to 11?? :D

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
RE: What brand are the air bags?
The Air bags are from Summit Racing part# air-60748 brand Air Lift 1000 system $84.99

Very easy install
Need to look into that too. In time. Am going to subscribe to this thread.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I too need to install the Airbag 1000 system as well.

I also plan to have my body-shop put the car up on a hoist
and professionally spray the black colored "Chassis Saver" on the undercarriage.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp
I'm not sure what the chassis saver is like but up here Krown and Rust Check are the two best products you can buy for rust prevention/inhibitor.

I HIGHLY recommend the Airbag setup if you do any towing or hauling. Makes a massive difference for keeping the rear from squatting. Just a head's up though...I don't think the #60748 kit comes with the spacers for the bottom of the bags. We ended up using electric motor isolators because the bags kept losing air when the suspension was compressed.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
where can I buy those isolators for a solid installation?
We ended up using ones that were just sitting around in my friend's electrical shop. He said they're very common. It's basically half the height of a hockey puck with a quarter size hole in the middle. It's enough to keep the bag from folding over on it's nipple and draining air out.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI

My snow wheels and tires and hubcaps from Deming came today. By the time my car is back together we may not end up using them at all this year. But they came in pre-much like new condition and look to be a EDIT: VERY good investment for the next season. or maybe even this one if we end up heading into snow country in BC for some adventures in a few weeks. EDIT: Very pleased with my purchase from Deming! Thanks!

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Today - installed some cheap side mirror replacement glasses to address the blown heater elements in both. Also installed a backup Camera that works with my head unit, sits nicely in place of one of the license plate lamps, and actually creates coherent images at night.

The rearview mirror glasses suffered from the same fault as the last cheap pair I got from China - the retainer tabs were cast poorly and did not fully grasp the motor/plate it sits on. I had to take the dremel to the tabs and widen each of them about 1mm. After that they seem to sit fine.

I have not had a chance to check the heating function - will update on that as weather allows. The mirrors are convex on both sides, and the drivers side has a fake "aspherical" dotted line through it - pictures to come.
Glass is the same as Mk5's :) Just put a new driver's side on in OE quality on my car...(after it fell off in the driveway)