ALH vs AHU crankshaft output measurement

Davemacinnh

TDI
97 1.9tdi
Just curious as to what the measurement is on each engine from the outside of the block to outside of the bolt plate. I’m going to be attempting to put a 97 tdi(1Z/AHU) in a CJ2A just like Millennium Falcon did. Difference is my block is AHU and his is AlH. I have not yet picked up my motor from my buddy(still in the car) and MF has his installed. Want to see if i can use the same crank shaft adapter that he has. Thank you!!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I do not believe there is any difference in the dimensions at the back of the block between the AHU and the ALH. Matter of fact, add in the BEW and BHW. The only difference going newer is the type of crank seal on the BRM But the diameter and projection of the crankshaft to flywheel mounting is the same.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Hey, Dave Please post these questions in the Conversions Forum. You've already got a thread going there...

Davemacinnh

TDI
97 1.9tdi
new to the forum, posted here first with zero replys so I then posted in the conversion forum. my apologies. just looking for answers

Davemacinnh

TDI
97 1.9tdi
on top of that there are no replys there. figured someone somewhere could tell me of the blocks and bellhousings had the same bolt pattern etc. i got my answer

Davemacinnh

TDI
97 1.9tdi
I do not believe there is any difference in the dimensions at the back of the block between the AHU and the ALH. Matter of fact, add in the BEW and BHW. The only difference going newer is the type of crank seal on the BRM But the diameter and projection of the crankshaft to flywheel mounting is the same.
What are the differences in the blocks from AHU to AHL? Are the oil filter housing mounting points the same? I can’t find anything that tells or shows a difference in the 2 blocks

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
What are the differences? LOTS. About the only thing that is the same is the bore and stroke dimensions, the rod and journal sizes. Rings are interchangeable, but I prefer the newer piston design. Rods are interchangeable, but I like the bevel wrist pin design for the later models. No intermediate shaft in the ALH, but the water pump is in the timing belt circuit. The ALH oil pump is much better than the AHU gear style pump. AHU is a terrible spin on filter in a lousey place. The ALH has a drop in filter in a great place. Better vacuum pump on ALH, in my opinion. ALH Turbo is a VNT instead of the AHU wastegate. Virtually the same injectors, but ALH used higher pressures. There are a multitude of other changes. Many changes, like oil pan, valve cover, intake manifold, engine mounts. etc. cylinder head uses the same valves and lifter size, but different cam driver for the ALH vacuum pump. They are very different designs built on the same crank and block dimensions.

Last edited: