Camshaft replacement questions

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 210k 2013 Passat TDI - 27k
Hello all! I am getting a new cam soon and had a few questions. My timing belt was just changed recently and I don’t wanna replace it when doing the cam. Can I just chalk the position of belt and pulley, pull the belt off then put it back on following install of cam? Also, if I install a BEW cam instead of BRM, do I use different bearings? Thank you!

Last edited:

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
No.

You must use standard lock down procedure and re-time the engine.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
No.

You must use standard lock down procedure and re-time the engine.
Right. I’m gonna get the proper tools but I don’t have to replace the timing belt correct?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The cam sprocket turns independently of the cam hub underneath it, so putting a mark on that isn't really going to help you. When you set the belt tension, the three bolts holding the sprocket to the hub will be loose, so it turns independently of the cam & hub.

In order to get your chalk mark in the right place, you would have to put the sprocket on turned a little bit clockwise from where it needs to end up, and then hope it moves back to the right spot once you apply tension. Also hope the crank doesn't move while you're doing this.

It's just not worth it and is prone to failure. The locking tools are on ebay for $15.

Edit: Just saw your new message. Yes, you can take the belt off and put it back on with the proper locking tools. If the belt, rollers, tensioner, and waterpump are still within their service life (or fairly new) there's no reason you can't just continue using them. By not replacing the belt, you also don't have to remove the motor mount.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways... you'll want to be sure to order new lifters with your new cam. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Right. I’m gonna get the proper tools but I don’t have to replace the timing belt correct?
Correct.
As has been mentioned, replacing the cam seems not too difficult. But parts and procedure are critical.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you guys for all the help! So what are the tools I must have? Was reading on some other posts that you don’t have to buy the puller tool and other tools so what are the tools I must have?

Nohlan_4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For sure need both locking tools. Also the cam counter hold tool is essential. To get the cam hub off I just loosened the bolt then hit it with a punch with the cam still bolted down, can’t off pretty easy actually.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
For sure need both locking tools. Also the cam counter hold tool is essential. To get the cam hub off I just loosened the bolt then hit it with a punch with the cam still bolted down, can’t off pretty easy actually.
Alright thank you! And what 2 locking tools specifically? Do you have the part numbers?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Dalon, if you are working with me. I can provide everything you need, loaner tools. Information, directions, all the technical support. All you have to do is ask. The bearings are the same.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Also, there are tools you can sink money into, but a 5 lb hammer and a 1/4" punch knocks the cam pulley off. If you budget it tight, save that spent money for a good cam.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you're working with Frank on this, you won't get better advice for that particular job.