www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 28th, 2018, 09:15   #6901
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Not that it helps the OP, since he doesn’t own a press, but I take the entire strut/knuckle assembly to the press.

Camber isn’t disturbed and no alignment is needed. Sockets and old bearing races are my arbors.

I’ve considered the kit, but I don’t do bearings that often. My press cost less than the kit and it gets more use, since it’s not a single purpose tool.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2018, 11:18   #6902
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

even your local shop to get to press, isnt very expensive. shouldnt be. drop both off, hopefully pick up before closing. if you can pick up earlier, you can put them in before it gets dark.
you just need at least one of those circlips per side.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 08:10   #6903
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Yesterday took the B4 to a local dealer to test drive an NMS Passat. Manual transmission, probably soon to be a unicorn. Honestly I like the B4 better.

When I was leaving the showroom the service manager found me and said everyone in the service department was checking out my B4 because they never see any and mine is so clean (well, reasonably clean). Funny how the oldest car at the dealership was getting the most attention.
Old April 29th, 2018, 20:32   #6904
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Yesterday took the B4 to a local dealer to test drive an NMS Passat. Manual transmission, probably soon to be a unicorn. Honestly I like the B4 better.

When I was leaving the showroom the service manager found me and said everyone in the service department was checking out my B4 because they never see any and mine is so clean (well, reasonably clean). Funny how the oldest car at the dealership was getting the most attention.
That happened to me when I took my B3V tdi to a big GM dealer to get the car aligned. I had a buddy who worked there that I trusted to do it properly so I went there, the crowd of mechs standing looking under the hood was so funny.

Kinda nice to get the attention for once!!

As for the Passat NMS I think you're right, that will be a unicorn unfortunately. Not much out there with MT anymore in a size that's usable. I guess most people can't handle much more than a go pedal these days. I just don't trust modern AT's and I'm not in the mood to pay for a rebuild on any new AT should it fail. I'd have to own in warranty and TBH there's not much out there that I would want to spend money on, and at the moment it all appears to be big money.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 21:57   #6905
TBOxnitemare

Fuel Economy: TBD

I planned to do them on the vehicle. I rented a slide hammer and purchased that kit from HF. After a few hours of the slide hammer not working I gave up and took it off. The bearing was actually welded to the inside race of the bearing so the slide hammer just wouldn't get it. I'd have much rather left it attached but it was not a possibility.

Today I used white lithium grease on the windshield wiper joints. They were both rusted and not allowing them to work effectively leaving big streaks on the windshield. Now work great!

Side note replaced the leaky trans lines on my buddies 2014 Chevy 1500. They use 2 little metal retainer clips to hook to the radiator...what a pain...
Old April 30th, 2018, 18:58   #6906
TBOxnitemare

Good news and bad news.

Good first! I flushed the power steering, got the nasty brown stuff out and replaced with nice CHF 202.

Bad news. I need a new turbo mine is blowing oil past the seals. Removed the lower intercooler line and about a cup full came flowing out. I emptied the intercooler less than 500 miles ago. That one hurts the check book.
Old April 30th, 2018, 20:09   #6907
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Though I can't claim as clean this is why I can't just dump my wagon... The sedan is now sorted DD and I keep aggravating my wife with all the little fixes before I list the sedan & wagon for sale.

In dumping both the VR6 wagons (going to be 24 hours of Lemons Passat Ute) at the scrapper this weekend I found decent shape Cabrio heated leather that is currently going in the B4V... I might even do a bit of research on safety of making the airbags operable. Who knows, I might even have to put the 5-lug swap in and keep the damn thing ;-)
'96 B4V Black & Tan leather, 262K, VR6 clutch, Sprint520, TDIheater, ventectomy, plugged cat "fell off", Cabrio heated leather front seats, koni adjustable front suspension, 5-lug swap sitting on garage floor, broken door handle mod (prepping for sale)
quantum_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 20:10   #6908
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOxnitemare View Post
Good news and bad news.

Good first! I flushed the power steering, got the nasty brown stuff out and replaced with nice CHF 202.

Bad news. I need a new turbo mine is blowing oil past the seals. Removed the lower intercooler line and about a cup full came flowing out. I emptied the intercooler less than 500 miles ago. That one hurts the check book.
Might have a stock Garret floating around
'96 B4V Black & Tan leather, 262K, VR6 clutch, Sprint520, TDIheater, ventectomy, plugged cat "fell off", Cabrio heated leather front seats, koni adjustable front suspension, 5-lug swap sitting on garage floor, broken door handle mod (prepping for sale)
Old April 30th, 2018, 20:32   #6909
TBOxnitemare

I'm looking at them right now trying to piece on together with parts form KarmaTDI and IDparts. Hard to find everything I need as the sites no longer have "Everything" to replace it. I'm thinking about going K3.
Old April 30th, 2018, 20:43   #6910
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOxnitemare View Post
I'm looking at them right now trying to piece on together with parts form KarmaTDI and IDparts. Hard to find everything I need as the sites no longer have "Everything" to replace it. I'm thinking about going K3.
Check in with IBW (Peter) and put the fancy upgrade in... ;-)

I'm pretty sure they also have the turbo install kit for the stock unit
Old April 30th, 2018, 20:51   #6911
TBOxnitemare

I considered the upgrade but this guy needs to stick with stock for the daily driver Thank you though I really appreciate it. Pulled the trigger on Karma's K3 and a few odds and ends from IDparts. I hope I can salvage a few bolts! My 2015 STI is for play and that bad boy already pushes 350 HP.
Old May 4th, 2018, 06:42   #6912
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Took the mk3 to an exhaust shop yesterday to get a downpipe made for it. Then finally got to drive it after upgrading to the BHW turbo. I am shocked at the difference.
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:31   #6913
TBOxnitemare

Productive evening! I sure don't know when to stop and I have no plans on letting anything go unfixed.

Finally my Turbo and parts came in! I removed the exhaust manifold, downpipe, 5th injector, and turbo. While down there I deleted the 5th injector and plugged the hole by cutting up the old line and filling it with JB weld. The end is only a half inch long so I'm okay with it. I already deleted the fuel line but wanted a little more room down there.

Cleaned up the Exhaust manifold, the contact points are all shiny now. New turbo installed on the exhaust manifold with steel braided feed line from KarmaTDI and return line is updated to 97+ line. YAY no more Banjo bolt! Install to be done tonight I hope.