Supreme Court Rules on EPA Air Quality

Sun Baked GL

Veteran Member
Big news yesterday (2/27/2001) on the air quality front, the Supreme Court has spoken.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>from findlaw.com - "High Court Upholds EPA Clean-Air Rule Method"

In one of the most important environmental decisions in decades, the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld how the federal government sets air pollution standards, rejecting industry arguments that public health benefits should be weighed against compliance costs.

The nation's high court also said in the unanimous landmark ruling that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) did not usurp Congress's lawmaking power when it set the strict standards for ozone and soot in 1997.

But in a third part of the ruling, the court said the EPA's implementation policy for the ozone standard in areas where ozone exceeds the maximum allowable level was unlawful, and the agency must develop a reasonable interpretation.

The EPA says the standards, which have yet to take effect, will save tens of thousands of lives and billions of dollars in health costs by reducing air pollution. The EPA estimated the rules will protect 125 million Americans, including 35 million children, from adverse health effects caused by air pollution.

Attorneys representing industry groups opposed to the standards have said the rules would cost businesses nearly $50 billion a year, a financial factor never considered by the EPA.

The EPA and environmentalists hailed the decision while business groups expressed disappointment.

more…
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you wish to read the Supreme Court decision

WHITMAN v. AMERICAN TRUCKING ASSOCIATIONS, INC., et al. in html

or

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/00pdf/99-1257.pdf

[This message has been edited by Sun Baked GL (edited February 28, 2001).]

geotransit

Yes it is a very positive ruling.
Now it is up to the epa to impliment the Clea Air ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They must find a solid way to set-up the National Ambient Air Quality Standards and design an efficient way to regulate them.

The old ozone standard of .o8 ppm over eight hours of monitoring is dead. the old law of .12ppm of ozone per 1 hour monitoring is still applicable.

The new standard, to be created by EPA. will focus, hopefully, on getting cities clean. THE current regulation only allows for a city to be in attainment or not in attainment of NAAQS. THe new stadard will hopefully have a progression from non-attainment to moderate to full attainment of NAAQS.

Well that is my two cents
I think the ruling will impact the energy industry greatly.
For the last year, at least, they have been in a holding pattern waiting to see the ruling. Maybe, the courts action will spur a move to cleaner diesel, alternative fuels, and Cleaner CARS AND TRUCKS.

bjds

It's a good thing we have President Bush to stop these federal regulations from being enforced. I'll be encouraging him to ignore them. Otherwise, the EPA would be interfering with our right to do business and make a reasonable profit.

Sun Baked GL

Veteran Member
The county here does not currently meet the EPAs requirement for PM10, not by a long shot. They fail on air clarity, and the amount of airborne particulates.

It's too bad that the lawmakers just missed a key Supreme Court ruling by a week, it would have help them get the Clean-Diesel bill passed here.
http://www.arizonarepublic.com:80/arizona/articles/0221browncloud21.html

Would have been great to see Clean-Diesel gushing out of the pumps as soon as April 2003.

S

SkyPup

Great news!

The UNANIMIOUS decision sends a VERY STRONG message to the American Trucking Industry Association, The American Farm Bureau, and the American Petroleum Institute about cleaner diesel fuels that they do not want.

sniff, sniff, sniff!

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
bjds,
Surely you are in jest here my friend. It is that type of Neanderthalic thinking that will doom this country to become a third world ecomony, a global environmental criminal, and lag behind the rest of the world as it moves into the 21st century. If that form of reasoning is why President Smirkenswagger was appointed neither he or we will last long in an evolving world.

------------------
96 TDI Passat Wagon, PC Cone, Upsolutely
89 Ford F250 Diesel
Biodiesel Powered

[This message has been edited by RC (edited March 01, 2001).]

bjds

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RC:
....If that form of reasoning is why President Smirknswager was appointed either he or we won`t last long in an evolving world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"appointed?" Face it, we knew what to do to win. Get over it! Now, let's get on with a cooperative government and do the things that benefit business for a while.
Fortunately, President Bush can instruct our government to not enforce the old Clinton regulations.

Isophorone

Veteran Member
Believe me, as one who works in the government (EPA), Bush can't tell us what not to enforce. I think too many whistles would get blown too quickly.

While I support the greater availability of better diesel engines (and who knows what will be available compared with today's), I am concerned with the engines costing an extra $1,000+. As yourselves seriously how much extra are you willing to pay. Also, some of the risk assessment studies have been suspect, and the previous Administration has been reluctant in many cases to release the air risk models for public scrutiny. Somehow, I don't see any outrage expressed on this message board by some of the more sarcastic members.

Here is another news link:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/030101/epa_diesel.sml

bjds

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Isophorone:
...Believe me, as one who works in the government (EPA), Bush can't tell us what not to enforce. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We'll see. Some of the same liberals said he couldn't return Texas to us, but one of Bush's strongest moves as governor was to change the environmental laws within our state to voluntary enforcement. That frees businesses to provide what the market needs. Business has shown it knows what to do, especially when profit measures success.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
bjds,
There is nothing to get over with my friend, I couldn`t stomach it to vote for either one of those lamoids that were the top two contenders. The reference to his "apointment" was a slip, I recognize when someone wins by the skin of his teeth.

I checked your profile to see where you haled form but nothing was posted, I guess you are afraid of some conspiracy or something. I surmized you were form the great state of texas by your posts. The day the "free" market solves more problems than it creates you`ll win me over but the market we are living under is not truly "free" at this point in time.

I welcome Pres. Smirkenswagger to attemp to further dirty our atmosphere by overstepping his executive powers, it`ll only help to insure his quick demise. Only four more years to go.

------------------
89 Ford F250 Diesel
Biodiesel Powered

bjds

This is the beauty of our Republic. Change of power brings change of direction. The vast Bush changes in Texas, even with a design for a weak governor's office, show just how capable he is as an executive. Again, we shall see. If Texas serves as a model, our business community is finaly going to get some help from the government. But, we'll just have to wait to see what Bush can do, given the liberal media and the strong opposition of liberal academics.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Personally, It frightens me to think that the whole country could resemble Texas. President Smirkenswagger will have to deal with a much stronger opposition than he`s had in his home state. For the Bush administration to make any real change it needs public support and mandates, he did`nt much of that in November as I recall.

This country needs to move forward, Shrub is living in the past.

------------------
89 Ford F250 Diesel
Biodiesel Powered

Isophorone

Veteran Member
Believe it or not, ladies and gentlemen, air quality was getting cleaner before passage of the first Clean Air Act. The effect of the Act to accelerate air cleanliness has been highly debatable (source: Dr. Julian Simon, Univ. of Maryland).

What Bush probably put into Texas was an audit law allowing industries to check for violations and fix them without the "big stick" approach. To some extent, audit laws were supported by the previous Administration as well. Much of the progress in cleaner plants can also be credited to computer advances, resulting in better process controls, putting mare material in product or recycle rather than waste or emissions. Imagine, if a new refinery was actually allowed to be BUILT in this country it would be a lot cleaner than its 25 year old cousins, which have been more incrementally updated.

For more information on free-market applications to environmental policy, I recommend a fascinating organization and its web page: the Competitive Enterprise Institute (http://www.cei.org). CEI is run by a former EPA employee, believe it or not.

I'm not saying that all regulations are evil, by the way. Then again, you can't go around saying the same about all industries, not even everyone in the petrochemical industry. Let's just say that working in EPA is never a dull moment.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Isophorone,
Anything Julian Simon of the CATO Institute says is a crock of
. I put no no creadence in whatever comes out of that guy.

------------------
89 Ford F250 Diesel
Biodiesel Powered

[This message has been edited by RC (edited March 03, 2001).]

Isophorone

Veteran Member
RC,

I have good news for you, then. Dr. Julian Simon passed away recently.

Sorry if facts get in the way of your beliefs. I'm sure it's quite painful.

Isophorone

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Isophorone,
Sorry to hear of a fellow traveler`s passing. I meant nothing personal about Dr. Simon, just his bogus "science".

This man based his "beliefs" under the false assumption that there are no limits to this planet`s capacity to assimilate modern human`s uncontroled physical expansion and all of it`s ecological consequences. I`ve seen him speak and read many of his writings. I will miss the amusement his theories provided me.
How ironic though, a good friend who debated with him also just passed away last week. The loss of Dana Meadows is truly one to morn.

------------------
89 Ford F250 Diesel
Biodiesel Powered

[This message has been edited by RC (edited March 05, 2001).]