2012 Passat Wiper Blades

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Sorry, posted this in the wrong forum, but this thread had the most info regarding wiper replacement. I did add a link to this thread in the MK6 Golf forum....

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Anyone yet the try onyx beam blades yet? I just put them on but haven't tried them in the rain yet. They went on easy.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Anyone yet the trick onyx beam blades yet? I just put them on but haven't tried them in train yet. They went on easy.
I tried a pair at Orielly's, but couldn't get the button to seat properly since the angle of the arm sides at the end of the arm was holding the blade out about 1/8" from seating properly in the end of the arm. Besides, the short video http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers/InstallationVideos?TrVehicleMakeModelYearIdent=13396&TrProductIdent=21&TrArmTypeIdent=23 on the Trico site shows the final result. Not as clean looking as the OEM version. I bet that hole makes noise from wind blowing across/through it. Too bad, I always liked TRICO products, especially since it was one of the first places I ever worked back in the late 1970's.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
Basically you just take one end off and slide out the old wiper rubber.
Then slide in the refill and pop the end back on, and the rubber boot/air deflector and you are done.
Was going to ask if this option was possible. In every car I've had or took care of in my family, I have found that OEM blades always perform the best and this is across multiple makes. I have always sought the replacement rubber and been able to use the actual blades for as long as I've kept the car.

On another note, I'm about to rejoin he TDI family. In fact, going for a test drive this morning before I fully commit.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My last Passat (2002) used the VW "Aero" blades. I owned that car for 11 years, and only replaced the wipers 2 times. So, they averaged about 3.5 years a set. And I live in Michigan where we get a cold winter with snow and a hot summer with humidity.

I had no problems sticking to factory with that much life.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
There was a deal at sickdeals recently for 20 bux for a pair of valleo blades at amazon. Could still be active. I bought a pair, but didn't install them yet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
You got them to fit the Passat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sorry. Yes they fit but had the guy at Advanced Auto do it. I told him that there aren't any option really for 2012 passats. He said to try these and they fit. The wipers come with the plastic adapters so they snap right into the square hole on the wiper arm. I have a 53 mile commute to work each day and we had rain, snow and a mix this morning. They were quiet and gave a clean wipe. So far so good considering I only have a couple hundred miles on them.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Unless your blade is ripped you may not have to change it. When I bought my '84 GLI new the salesman showed me a wiper trick I have used for 30 years. Take a cotton cloth and spray glass cleaner on it, small spot the size of a quarter. Now take the cloth and grab one end of the blade squeegee which touches the glass. Pinch that contact edge with the cloth/cleaner and draw slowly toward you cleaning, removing and "sharpening" the contact edge. You can feel a bit of grit, bug and contaminent, the cloth will show two black marks. Select a new clean area of cloth, spray and repeat a couple of times. The secret is pinching the edge which touches the glass.

You are in effect cutting a new wiper blade edge and renewing your blade(s). I may do this 3-4 times a year. I get 35-50k miles (~1-1.5 yrs) from my blades in 4 season mid Atlantic weather. Try it, you'll like it, John

cessna441

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Trico Onyx are a no-go for a 2013 Jetta. The latching button is off by about 1/16"? Bought oem from idparts $21.95 each + free shipping.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^^^^

The wiper blades get filthy, just like the window. I always clean. If I don't, the glass won't be wiped efficiently.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I tried Goodyear Assurance blades without success. One of the clips looked very similar in design, but I couldn't get it to fit. I'm sure some dremel use could get it done, but I just decided to buy @ dealer.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Some are convinced that OEM is poor quality. That has not been my experience, though.
I just replaced my Passat wipers after 2 years...OEM.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya. Considering the cost isn't much more for OEM, and how they fit perfectly and last a long time I'll stick with OE.

I replaced the blades on our Passat a few months after we got it, but have not had to do anything since :)

Same thing with my MB... the OE blades don't cost much more, last a lot longer, and fit properly compared to aftermarket blades that don't.

-J

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Some are convinced that OEM is poor quality. That has not been my experience, though.
I just replaced my Passat wipers after 2 years...OEM.
I went through a grand total of 3 sets of OEM wiper blades on my 2002 VW Passat between 2002 and 2013 when I traded it in. I lived in Michigan the entire time with frigid winters and hot and humid summers.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
VW sent flyer, buy 1 pair, get 50 of second, came yesteday,and I saw it on Facebook too. I got good year Assurance for Mk4 and Jeep for $7.99 @ Costco (beam type) Wally World stop carrying the $12-13 Bosch wich I liked alot and now has $16+bosch, $18= RainX. But For my Mk5 and B6 it was VW OEM all of theway for me

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I think I'm going to have to break down and get a pair of OEM ones.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and they will work better than the originals....:(

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
For what it is worth: for the 2012 TDI Passat the OEM blades are made by Valeo.
:cool:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
For me, it isn't that the OEM are bad. They are fine. I would just like the choice.

I would like to not have to order them online, or go to my local dealer to get them. I would like to be able to walk up in Napa, Autozone, or Advance and buy a set.

It annoys me that VW chose to use a connector that nobody else does. They could have stayed with one of the MANY standards, one of which is only slightly different than what VW chose to use.

I am also a big fan of the RainX latitude wipers, and I can't use them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It annoys me that VW chose to use a connector that nobody else does. They could have stayed with one of the MANY standards, one of which is only slightly different than what VW chose to use.
I think it's their ploy to get people in the door.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I solve the problem by only replacing the insert - no reason to change the entire blade assembly most of the time. Seems like nothing more than an effort to sell more than is needed to pad profits. Bosch inserts have never let me down on any car I have owned.

- Tim

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
For me, it isn't that the OEM are bad. They are fine. I would just like the choice.

I would like to not have to order them online, or go to my local dealer to get them. I would like to be able to walk up in Napa, Autozone, or Advance and buy a set.

I am also a big fan of the RainX latitude wipers, and I can't use them.
...sounds like clever marketing on VWoA's part. Isn't that what makes investors happy?

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I just picked up a set at the dealer. $22.50 each. hopefully they work better than the originals i had. fingers crossed. :cool:

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Went to the dealer with my 2012 TDI SEL and told them my wipers weren't working well. They were replaced under warrantee.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Went to the dealer with my 2012 TDI SEL and told them my wipers weren't working well. They were replaced under warrantee.
That's a first. I've never heard of any wipers ever being replaced on a car that old under a warranty.

Hold on to that dealer!

Regards