Mk4 rear fog euro wiring diagram needed.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Does anybody have a wiring diagram from a euro MK4 Jetta/Bora for the rear fog lights? I am asking because my 99.5 has a wire going from the headlight switch to the cluster. The wire at the switch is much thicker than at the cluster. I was trying to figure out where the heck that wire goes to. :confused:My Bentley has nothing on it as it was for the US spec cars.

Thanks in advance!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Probably a dumb question, but what pin number is it at the switch? I'm assuming that the switch is not stock for US cars but is a Euro switch?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The wire probably goes from the thick to the thin end somewhere in the dash harness (IE impossible to get at). Just tap the wire at the switch.

-J

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
The wire probably goes from the thick to the thin end somewhere in the dash harness (IE impossible to get at). Just tap the wire at the switch.

-J
I was hoping it ran somewhere useful(like the truck) or to a connector somewhere.

I guess it just ends at the cluster? What's the point of that? I wanted to get a euro rear fog wiring diagram and trace that wire back to see where it actually goes to. Seems pretty pointless that VW would just run a wire from the switch to the cluster.

It does light up the light in the cluster when you put +12V to it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
It probably just runs to the cluster. It doesn't run to the rear of the car... I guess it could run to a plug for the rear harness, but I don't know if that plug exists. I don't recall seeing one on the harness I took apart.

I just spliced mine at the switch. My car is like yours... it's a 99.5 thing.

-J

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The plug does exist. It is "T5i" and is located IN the harness behind the lever to open the hood. You need to unwrap the loom in this location and you will find 2 black 5 pin plugs. They look exactly the same as the 5 pin plugs for the hatch and rear lights (they are kinda oddly shaped, with one big pin and 4 small ones).

I actually find it unlikely that VW would have put this wire in, created the junction where the 1.0mm wire becomes 2 (a 1.0mm wire to T5i and a 0.35mm wire to the cluster) and only run the one wire to the cluster and not the second one to the connector.

I would wager a mars bar that you will have a 1.0mm gr/ws wire in the switch side of T5i/2.

My $0.02.

PS, I shook my wiring diagram binder and this fell out. The info you are looking for is on pages 6, 9 and 12. Please return the diagram when finished ;)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
The plug does exist. It is "T5i" and is located IN the harness behind the lever to open the hood. You need to unwrap the loom in this location and you will find 2 black 5 pin plugs. They look exactly the same as the 5 pin plugs for the hatch and rear lights (they are kinda oddly shaped, with one big pin and 4 small ones).

I actually find it unlikely that VW would have put this wire in, created the junction where the 1.0mm wire becomes 2 (a 1.0mm wire to T5i and a 0.35mm wire to the cluster) and only run the one wire to the cluster and not the second one to the connector.

I would wager a mars bar that you will have a 1.0mm gr/ws wire in the switch side of T5i/2.

My $0.02.

PS, I shook my wiring diagram binder and this fell out. The info you are looking for is on pages 6, 9 and 12. Please return the diagram when finished ;)
Thanks! That is good stuff right there. :D The only thing there seems to be some discontinuation between the rear fogs and the switch.:confused:

I was at that location yesterday too! I guess I should be able to find where the plug is in the harness by feel? Seems odd that VW would wrap the plug inside the harness. :confused:

BTW, here's your diagram back :D: I "borrowed" a few pages via. my printer. :p

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
The harness is wrapped in multiple layers of tape... I doubt you'd be able to find it by feel.

If you do find it be sure to take a picture. I'm always a fan of not splicing the factory harness :)

Hmm, not that I think about it, I may have located that plug on my car for the reverse light tap for the memory seats. Hmm...

-J

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled the kick panel back off and found the plug in the harness in like 2 min. Big square thing wrapped up inside the harness. So I carefully trimmed back the cloth tape over it(which was a big pain due to it being in a bad spot).Sure is a weird looking connector that is probably not made to come apart.

There was no gray wire with white tracer there. There was a gray wire with black tracer, but I doubt its the same wire. So back to square one I guess...and finding where the heck does that rear fog wire go to.

I'll try to snap a pic of it...

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
You know there are TWO T5 connectors right there? If you saw a grey/black wire you found the WRONG (T5h) connector. They are RIGHT beside each other...

They are weird looking, but they DO come apart! There's a little "pin" that you push to one some and they'll slide apart.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Found it! The other connector was hiding deep in the corner of the footwell, but I trimmed open the harness and there was the gray/white wire. It has power when I put power to the rear fogs. I took a bunch of pics and I'll upload them tonight.

Now to figure out how to make it functional. Hmm.....

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
You owe me a mars bar ;)

How do you mean figure out how to make it functional? Run a wire to the tail lights from the empty pin on the other side of the connector!!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
You owe me a mars bar ;)

How do you mean figure out how to make it functional? Run a wire to the tail lights from the empty pin on the other side of the connector!!
Haha, takes two to agree to a bet. I never agreed because I knew you were probably right. ;)

I know how it works, I just need to figure out what terminals the male side takes. Shame that I have tons of female terminals laying around and no males. Sure would have been nice if VW left a terminal in there. :mad:
Well gee, that's a much better way to do things than cutting the harness at the switch!
Yup, I knew it went to a connector somewhere. VW almost always terminates extra wires at connectors.

Here's the WRONG connector. Its black and higher up. Do not bother trying to free it from the harness, its a waste of time.:

Here's the RIGHT connector. Its tan and sits lower than the black one above. Both of which you can feel through the harness wrap.

Here's the gray/white wire going into the connector:

Here's the mating connector. I need to find the correct terminals that fit into it:

Here's where the whole shooting match lives, under the driver's side kick panel:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
You want me to mail you a terminal with a bit of wire on it? Also, I'm surprised it didn't have a black cloth wrap around it, then the tape on top of that. I unfortunately have never bought those big mail ones as blank terminals either.

Apologies - I forgot it was tan, not black. I can't remember if I said it was black (probably did ;) ).

Cheers,
-Chris

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
You want me to mail you a terminal with a bit of wire on it? Also, I'm surprised it didn't have a black cloth wrap around it, then the tape on top of that. I unfortunately have never bought those big mail ones as blank terminals either.

Apologies - I forgot it was tan, not black. I can't remember if I said it was black (probably did ;) ).

Cheers,
-Chris
How much? Shipping a single terminal from Canada might be a bit expensive.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'll just put it in the mail, it will only cost me $3 or something, I'm not asking for anything for it though. I have to mail some other stuff today that I was supposed to mail over the weekend, so let me know ASAP and I'll put on in the mail.

Cheers,
-Chris

PS don't forget to PM me your address if you want me to send it.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thinking I might just try to find a raw terminal so I don't have to put a splice in the wire. Trying to make it look close to OEM as possible.

Thanks for the offer though!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I screwed up on this one. I thought the gr/ws wire was in the spot for the really really big spade terminal (000979228 is the VW repair wire for that). When I was just digging up the p/n for that connector, I re-looked at turbo's pics and realized that is not the case. The terminal you need is the most basic of the VW terminals. It is the small male or "spade" terminal (000979132 is the repair wire).

turbo, I have tonnes of these, if need a couple, please let me know. Other wise you can buy them in bulk from one of the sources Graeme has mentioned in his "terminals and where to get them thread".

Cheers,
-Chris

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I screwed up on this one. I thought the gr/ws wire was in the spot for the really really big spade terminal (000979228 is the VW repair wire for that). When I was just digging up the p/n for that connector, I re-looked at turbo's pics and realized that is not the case. The terminal you need is the most basic of the VW terminals. It is the small male or "spade" terminal (000979132 is the repair wire).

turbo, I have tonnes of these, if need a couple, please let me know. Other wise you can buy them in bulk from one of the sources Graeme has mentioned in his "terminals and where to get them thread".

Cheers,
-Chris
Yeah, its one of the small ones. Sorry, should have made that clear. There is that green wire going to the big terminal and no mating terminal behind it. :confused: Wonder what that is for? :confused:

Not sure what I want to do. I was almost debating on simply chopping off the wire before the connector and putting a heat shrink crimp butt connector there and move on with life. :eek: There's really no need for a connector there. I'll let you know if I want the terminal or not after I decide what to do.

Almost got the front fogs wired up. I used the raw terminals and ran the wire along the factory harness, fishing it through the split loom when possible. Was a big PITA but its so worth it. Looks totally factory! Unless you know what exactly to look for, most people probably wouldn't notice that I added some fog light wiring. Also going to reroute my ASR wire from the throttle cable hole(don't like it, looks like crap) to the wiring box under the cowl like it should be. The ASR light still works on my immo2 cluster so I guess there is proof that there is can-bus going to the ABS pump too. The light on the original 99.5 cluster didn't work until I wired it up to the pump.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the part number on the tan plastic housing?

Then I can tell you which terminal you need.;)
Darn, I put everything back together. Should have took the part number off the housing. I am pretty sure its the terminal blizzard60 mentioned though.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The ASR wiring goes through the loom in the firewall, not through the water-tight box for the ecu. Just an FYI.

I agree with you 100% on those T5 connectors. And the heat-shrink butt connectors are a vw approved way of making wiring repairs, so I'd say go for it.

Don't rip your harness apart again just for that part number. I have 3 or 4 complete harness I can check instead.

Graeme, if you happen to check etka before I look at my harnesses, if I remember correctly the connectors are numbers 15 and 16 on the THIRD page of 5 pin connectors. Sorry, I can't remember the p/n, but I think one ends in 303?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
000 979 132 repair wire is also available as a raw terminal N 103 361 05

:)
Cool, thanks. At least its here if anybody wants it. That's why I am documenting everything so future searchers can find the info.

I have plenty of shrink butt connectors, so I have decided to snip the wire before the connector and crimp on one of those.