Konig wheels vibrations 2015 passat sel tdi fitment

Randolphyeary

TDI
2015 Passat Sel Tdi
Hi, so I bought konig impressions from discount tire. I had them balanced and mounted yesterday on some newer continentals that were on the previous wheels for about a month and today took my car out on the highway. Around 60-65 mph the car is vibrating really crazy. Do I need hubcentric rings and or different lugs. Going to get an alignment this Friday also. I can include pictures if someone is willing to help. I've never bought wheels before so I'm disappointed.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
You absolutely need hub centering rings, VAG cars have an odd smaller hub size that nearly no aftermarket rim manufacturer matches so adapters are a must. Most VAG cars also use ball seat lug bolts and a lot of aftermarket wheels have a tapered seat. You most likely need both to smooth out your vibration. Discount Tire knows this, Im surprised they didn't tell you that they where needed, thats just poor customer service. Hopefully you don't damage your wheels driving on them before you get this sorted out.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Had same issue. Aluminum rings are like 5 bucks a set. Check the discount paperwork for.the ID/OD. Good luck it will be like night and day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Randolphyeary

TDI
2015 Passat Sel Tdi
Thank for the replies. I had an alignment done this morning and still had the vibration. I went back to discount tire. A man up front told me he has no clue how they could have put any on because thier system shows they've been out of stock for the red rings i need. Pulled the tires off and no rings there.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Took some hub rings off someone else's wheels and put them on mine. Night and day difference. Solved all my vibration issues.

Run a search on Ebay for "hubcentric rims VW". Lots of options.
As Iamatt points out, check the seat or countersink on your Konigs,
almost certainly a straight cone, you'll need lug bolts as well.

I can't believe how the "pros" miss this stuff, but it happens all the time.
Recent thread on the MkIV forum about the lower pinch rail getting crushed
by tire shops is another case in point.
Last, but certainly not least, buy your own torque wrench. Knuckleheads with
impact guns installing wheels can cause a lot of problems. I INSIST on doing
my own torquing on my lug bolts.