Impact of buybacks on bank?

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
So I was thinking last night: I imagine a big chunk of TDi vehicles that are being bought back currently have loans. And that means interest which means bank profit. Making up a number lets say 100,000 loans will be canceled/paid off prematurely. Number could be higher or lower, I don't think any of us know.

Be fascinating to see the impact this has one lenders/banks bottom lines, both on individual companies and as a whole.

I am sure this will have a notable impact on the market

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
How much do you think consumer debt is at any one time in the US? Think around $12 trillion. The payoff of 100,000 loans in a short period of time won't even be noticed. So no affect.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
How much do you think consumer debt is at any one time in the US? Think around $12 trillion. The payoff of 100,000 loans in a short period of time won't even be noticed. So no affect.

I doubt it will go unnoticed. It is a guess since we do not know the number of loans and amount of remaining interest owed but even if not a substantial impact it would be an impact nonetheless. The impact is lessened as it is spread across who knows how many banks but still am impact.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I doubt it will go unnoticed. It is a guess since we do not know the number of loans and amount of remaining interest owed but even if not a substantial impact it would be an impact nonetheless. The impact is lessened as it is spread across who knows how many banks but still am impact.

The biggest impact would be on VW Credit (VW and Audi financial arm). I would assume that most loans/leases on VW/Audi are through them, as they often offer special deals. Obviously not all loans will be through them. But a good chunk will. So they will see a marked let off in interest. Now, they will probably be financing a bunch of new cars as well, so that will help.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I am sure most of the people are going into new loans. With interest rates so low it's not like they are making much off them anyway.

dpospres

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite 6 speed manual (sold), 2012 Passat TDI SE Sunroof NAV, Night Blue Moonrock (bought back 12/13),2017 Audi A3 Quattro Prestige
And for most cars that get paid off, those people will be buying new cars and will have loans on them,......so not much affect.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, now that the big news has broken and some people (and you know who you are!) are spinning their wheels, there's plenty of time for renewed incivility.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Several observations about this issue:

1. As others have noted, VW/Audi Credit is most exposed to dieselgate loans. The VW/Audi Credit loans are for new cars, which perform better than used car loans.

2. All car loans in U.S have a delinquency rate below 1%. That is for both new and used cars.

3. Like all loans, the highest interest payments are early in the term of the loan. Later in the loan term, interest payments are quiet low. So VW/Audi Credit has made most of it's profit by now and not much more profit to be made from old loans by now.

4. Old loans will be paid off with VW buy back funds anyway. So VW/Audi credit will get their money before the car owner gets their money.

So, the banks will not loose any money on Dieselgate at all.