Anyone install a apple carplay head unit?

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Been checking these things a lot and was curious if anyone has one? I have a RNS-510 and I love it but I wanna try something new. I wanna know if the Bluetooth will intergrate with my factory Bluetooth system

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I really want one, but I'm waiting until iOS9 is released - because it should finally support wireless carplay. Wireless carplay has been in a few of the betas, but hasn't been in an official release yet - and at least one of the makers of a head unit won't officially say if their unit supports wireless or not (the chip in it does) - the thinking is they will enable it with a firmware update once its rolled out in iOS9.

I can't remember the maker, but there is a unit that supports both Android Auto and Carplay, which is interesting.

ergott

TDI
2011 JSW
I have the Pioneer 4100NEX. I'm using it for Android, but it's capable of Apple as well. It doesn't use the car's Bluetooth, you plug your phone into to the deck. This way all your phone functions go through the stereo with a minimal and easier to use interface. Check out some youtube videos. It's really cool and makes for safer phone/stereo use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
I've researched heavily into this and am just waiting for the wife to allow me to spend the funds to get it installed. That being said, there is a way to get the Pioneer 4100NEX to integrate with your factory bluetooth, the catch is that you can't do this kind of install in your driveway. You will need to find an installer that is able to program and install the idatalink maestro interface in the background. Doing so will keep your factory bluetooth as well as allow functionality for the steering wheel buttons.

Personally I'm going to wait for the new kenwood deck which only has one USB interface and will automatically detect either an iphone or android and load the appropriate interface. The pioneer requires 2 USB runs (one for android and the other for apple). My wife uses an iphone while I use android.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Ok who wants to buy my RNS-510 lol I'm getting this now! Thanks a lot on that info. I wish they had a SiriusXM app for it. I think I'm gonna wait for that then get it. Also another question can you mirror link an iPhone on any head unit coming out?

Last edited:

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
It should be able to do sirius xm (just not native in the carplay app. These units still have their native OS and carplay and android auto load on top. Likely you will need to get an adapter to make our OEM antenna work.