Firestone Firehawks of Bridgestone Potenza RE950?

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I posted this over at the Vortex and thought I might as well post it here, too.

I'm just looking for the best tire I can put on the factory alloys. My question re the Firehawks is based on the following specs from tirerack:

Tire/Rim Range/Meas. Rim/Tread/Diameter

OEM Contis-------5.5-7.5/5.5/8.2/25.0
OEM Goodyears--5.5-7.0/6.0/7.9/25.0
OEM Michelins----5.5-7.5/6.0/8.0/24.9
Firehawks----6.0-8.0/6.5/7.0/25.6 I also confirmed the Firestone specs at their website.

A 6" rim is within the rim range for the Firehawk and is only 1/2" narrower than the measured rim.

I'm not worried about the diameter (revolutions per mile will be within 2% of stock) or the tire potruding from the rim as long as the tires will be safe and perform to specifications on my rims . . .

I found the following online (from the Tire and Rim Association):

"The TRA also has developed a measuring rim for each tire size that enables all manufacturers to measure their tires on the same size wheel. For 50-series tires and higher, the measuring rim width is 70% of the tire's section width rounded off to the nearest 0.5."" (In this case 9 x 70% = 6.3 rounded to 6.5).

"Choosing a wheel near the middle of the range will give a balance between ride quality and handling. A wider wheel will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, while a narrower wheel will improve ride quality at the expense of handling. Consider these compromises when selecting wheels." (In this case choosing the narrowest wheel in the range would maximize ride quality at the expense of handling).

Anyone running 225/60s on 6" rims?

[ January 30, 2003, 15:17: Message edited by: Dante Driver ]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I think you might run into a mileage hit with 225s on there. 215 should be plenty wide enough.

IIRC Turbo Steve put those Dunlop SP5000 on a 15" rim in a 225 width. I saw them they weren't too outrageous but they did have a lot of rim protection - great for those who parrallel park all the time and dont want curb rash

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks GeWilli. I'll just look for the best 195, 205 or 215 I can find. Both the guys over at the Vortex and the local Firestone dealer said the 225/60ZR15 Firehawk will not fit. I wish I coulg find more test/survey information on the Nokian NRH-2, NRV or NRZ . . .

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
ripster's had the Nokian NRH or NRV (don't remember which) seemed to be pretty happy with them.

he'd be a good source of feed back on the nokian's he's prolly been to the point where he's worn out the first set he's purchased - if he got them again - well that'd be a good sign

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Good idea. After going back to the drawing boar, I'm leaning toward Bridgestone Potenza RE950s. At Tirerack, they received excellent survey results representing over 3 million miles driven and topped the test in their category. Technically, they are all-season tires, but I'm thinking the Potenzas three-seasons and running WRs in the winter.

I searched this forum for "NRV" and vound some good information, but I think I will probably go with the Potenzas based on the info. at Tirerack.

[ January 30, 2003, 11:22: Message edited by: Dante Driver ]

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks Skypup! The local Firestone store will match Tireracks price (including shipping) on the Potenza RE950, so I think it's on my shopping list.

You run HDs and stock springs, right? Do you run a rear sway bar?

S

SkyPup

Your lucky, our local Firestone dealer didn't have a clue about these tires....

Be sure to install the HD Bilsteins first before you get the good tires and wheels.

We have the stock springs and they are fine, a little bit stiffer on the NB than the Jetta, but both work excellent.

I only have a shock tower bar on the front shock towers, no rear sway bar. We live off road and need maximum clearance, esp. on the NB. The 730's wear much better than the original RE-71s we got five years ago too.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Yea, I take my car off pavement to trailheads a few times a year. I'm a little concerned about the additional obstructions most rear sway bars (except Shine's and O-Bar's) create under the car. Dick Shine advised me against running his bar with stock springs and HDs, so I might not get a sway-bar at all unless I upgrade to Shine Lite (with the tall rear springs to preserve ground-clearance).

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have the newspeed rear bar and go in and out a dirt / gravel road dayly with out trouble it sets even with the axle so is not lower then the car. What i need is a good strut bar so far the only ones i have seen only have 2 bolts pre side on them and i have broken them (bolts) on my past cars and this lane. I know someone make one that goes around the strut tower and has 4 bolts per side anyone know who makes these.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Looking at tire rachs survey it seems the 950 is better then the 730s i have been using since the car was new. They have about 30000 mile on the but i don't run them in the snow months DEC to the end of march. I will need a new set this summer i might have to check out the 950s. If they wear anywhere as good as the V rated 730s

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've also been looking very seriously at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-950's in 215/60/15. I run a 7" rim and my only reservations have been the road noise and mileage hit, if any. Right now I am running factory Conti's and they look very funky on the wide rims. If memory serves, you get a full 7" tread width with the 215's. How that eats your mileage I would be very interested in knowing. For all our benefits, please let us know. Good luck and may they stick like glue, whisper quietly and corner like rails.

The Kid

Veteran Member
I receintly put RE950's all around on my jetta, and I'm VERY impressed with them! I stuck with the stock 195/65/15 size and have no traction problems... so I dont see any need to go wider. For me the ride is BETTER than with the Energy's... a little less road noise and less tire flex in turns without any increase in harshness. I Don't really have any mileage numbers since my driving habits have been different ( lots of short trips now instead of long highway like I had been doing)

FlyTDIGuy: I have 225/60/15's on 15x7in rims on my mustang and the tires fit those rims very well.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
I have the RE950's on both my NB and Dodge Caravan. Best tire I have ever bought, especially in heavy rain. The Caravan is AWD, and the 950's have been great in the Maryland snowstorms this year. The Beetle handles much better than the Dunlops I had on the it previously. If I can get more than 40K miles on them, I'll be truely happy. My Firestone dealer also matched the $94 Tire Rack price.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I second the Kid and ChrisB...

RE950's all around...

I said it before, and I'll say it again, "Rain, what rain??!"

Best tires I've ever bought...

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Anybody gone to the 950s from Goodyears? My feeble Eagles have 40K on them and I'm looking for something quieter on the coarse aggregate pavement they've got up here and down around PDX.

I was leaning toward Yokohama Avids or ???

Hydroplaning resistance and low road noise are probably the two highest criteria on my list.

Thx.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Sounds like we have similar (regional) criteria. The Tirerack Survey Results give the Potenza RE950s 8.7 (superior) for hydroplaning resistance and wet traction and 7.9 (excellent) for noise comfort. If you poke around their surveys you can see how that compares with the OEM Badyears.

I'm running the Goodyears now. If I make the switch before you, I'll post my impressions.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Am I to assume that the RE-930s are now obsolete?

Costco is having a sale that ends on February 2, and they have the RE-930s in size 215/60-15 for $75 which includes mounting and balancing, but not tax.

Came home to look up and compare the ratings on the Rack and low and behold, no more RE930s are listed.

Were they phased out?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I was leaning toward Yokohama Avids or ???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't do it, the Yokos suck. SH30 and RE are both much better tires. SH30 a little better in wet, Bridge a little better in dry.

Moo Car

Veteran Member

Potenza RE950. So far so good. Good in snow and very good in rain. The only problem is they are a little noisy at 8 mph (yes 8 mph).