Firestone or Falken tyre?

leestdi

TDI
golf mk4 tdigt 130 (2001)
Does anybody have opinions of either Firestone TZ200FS or the Falken ZE326.. They are both reasonably cheap tyres but getting mixed reviews i currently run the Hankook K406 which has been ok for a good 20k although grip and handling not so good especially in wet. Would Falken or Firestone be any better?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You answered your own question with the word "cheap".

Tires are the only thing that keeps your car on the road... brakes, steering, suspension, engine, everything are 100% dependant on the tires. Get good ones. Get the correct ones (size, load rating, speed rating, etc.).

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You want a good rain tire in the Firestone line get the Affinity LH30. 60K mile tire and that's dead on. I have 35K HARD miles on mine and they are well above half tread. Plus they carry all the advanced stuff from Bridgestone like the dual rubber compound to stay soft as they age/wear, long chain carbon, noise canceling tech etc. Great QUIET tire. They do take about 1K miles to break in and are a bit squirly at first. Go with the 205/60/15 size and make sure they give you the CORRECT 91H load/speed rating. The 195 come in 89 and 91 load rating. I see a lot of tires on VW's especially the Goodyear triple treads in the lighter 89 load rating. They are really squirly and people hate them. This has been a universal complaint from most client that have the improper tire.

FWIW I paid $367 out the door for them mounted and balanced with lifetime balancing, disposal, stems, and nitrogen fill at a tires plus.

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
No experience with Firestones but I have been privileged to have the Falken Azenis Sport on my last car and I will buy them again as soon as I need new summer tires. Although cheap in price compared to other performance tires, these were fantastic to me. Best grip I've ever experienced, stiff sidewall and handling like on rails no matter how much I tried pushing them. They're not the best in heavy rain situations and standing water and if you drive them like you're on the track every day, you might have to change them again in about 2 years, due to the soft rubber.

leestdi

TDI
golf mk4 tdigt 130 (2001)
Thanks for all the advice. I have gone with the Firestone TZ200FS tyres on recommendation from black circles. £190 for the 4 all in, i will let you know how they drive after my next long trip...