Tow Vehicle ???

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
I am thinking about looking for a camper next year. I thought about using my Jetta Wagon as a tow vehicle but decided that it would limit me to a small trailer.

I started wondering about what vehicle would be a good economical tow vehicle. I would prefer a small diesel truck of some sort but I need seating for at least 3. I think a full sized pickup is overkill but we don't have many options here in North America. I thought about a Mercedes sedan... What are their tow limits?

What would be a good diesel to vehicle for a medium sized camper trailer?

Thanks!

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
catmandoo said:
how much you looking to spend??
Good point... Not more than $10,000 but would like to stay as low as $5,000 to allow for more cash towards the camper.

I would like something that will give me good MPGs seat 3 and Diesel :) I wish we had an abundance of T4 dokas here but no such luck.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's a tall order. Nothing Mercedes is going to be in that price range unless it's very old and decrepit. Same with full size diesel pickups. The small diesel pickups (Toyota etc) were last sold in the mid 1980's and are (A) rare as hen's teeth and (B) mostly rusted out and (C) mostly don't have extended cabs because that was before extended cabs became the rage. (And you really don't want to be the third person in a Toyota Hilux Xtracab, anyway.) You *might* find a diesel Eurovan in that price range.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
I think as far as power goes your only option would be a larger diesel truck. But thats a little pricey. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking for a 95 or 96 jeep cheroke 4.0L, Not good on fuel, but will be cheep to buy, seat people with lots of storage space left, and Lots of power. Dunno, up to you, just my 2 cents.

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I keep an eye on the market for diesel trucks on AutoTrader and see what look like some decent ones for 5-10,000. I've heard the Dodge Auto Transmission that goes with the Cummins is a total disaster so if you get a Dodge/Cummins I would suggest you get a manual transmission.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
i kno around here if u find a cummings for under 10k ud be scared to drive it newhere....the jeep was a decent suggestion but the trans in those are garbage. You could get an older F-150 with the Inline 6 those pull harder have more low end then the v-8`s.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
For light towing duties, a BUNCH of room and in your price range: Chev 6.2 - especially Suburban. You'd be surprised how good the mileage is. Good ones getting hard to find, though.

Ponderosa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Beetle
Not really...

Getriebe Guy said:
I keep an eye on the market for diesel trucks on AutoTrader and see what look like some decent ones for 5-10,000. I've heard the Dodge Auto Transmission that goes with the Cummins is a total disaster so if you get a Dodge/Cummins I would suggest you get a manual transmission.
The auto can be beefed up for a small amount, the only problems with the stock auto is when you start boosting the engine. If you take care of them they will last as long as the truck in stock form. People seem to think you can go forever on same fluid/filter, duh....Just saw one here in my home town going for 5K, 95 extended cab, overload springs, Cummins, auto. Needed rubber and some paint, 190,000 miles, just broke in...:D

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
School Bus?

From all I have seen, diesel pickups and SUVs in decent shap seem to be getting out of my price range.

Funny though, on another group, I had someone suggest a school bus. I laughed at first but soon realized it was not a bad way to get a heavy duty tow vehicle at a decent price. ($3000 to $5000) Many have the 5.9 Cummins and all have HD suspension. I am told they may have high miles but are well maintained for safety reasons. Usually the maintenance records are readily available to the new owner.

Hummmm? I may be able to get away without a camper trailer and spend some $ on a boat to pull.

What do you think of this idea?

Last edited:

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
TyeRant said:
From all I have seen, diesel pickups and SUVs in decent shap seem to be getting out of my price range.

Funny though, on another group, I had someone suggest a school bus. I laughed at first but soon realized it was not a bad way to get a heavy duty tow vehicle at a decent price. ($3000 to $5000) Many have the 5.9 Cummins and all have HD suspension. I am told they may have high miles but are well maintained for safety reasons. Usually the maintenance records are readily available to the new owner.

Hummmm? I may be able to get away without a camper trailer and spend some $ on a boat to pull.

What do you think of this idea?
Are you turning to us for some leverage to convice your wife?:D

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
bugablue said:
Are you turning to us for some leverage to convice your wife?:D
The bus...well, I could probably sell that.
Can you help me out with this one:

The bumper-dumper. No plumbing required :D

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Right now is a good time to buy Diesel suburbans with the 6.5 td. Great vehicles, good mileage. Currently they are CHEAP! Nice ones for short money, ok ones for really short money. 3k-7k short. And you have a real suv. MIne always got 20-22 hwy(cruising 58). Towing I got 15-17 depending on weight. My 98 is sold. The 95 is on its way (replaced with a Eurovan and a 97 4dr dually diesel). Look around, they are a good deal. My 98 went to Canada. My 95 may as well.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I was referring to 6.2s because out our way, 6.5s are extremely hard to find, and not cheap. If you know of any rusted to death ones, though, I could sure use one for a donor car to make a truly wonderful mid-90s diesel Caprice (or Roadmaster) wagon.

y22man

Veteran Member
Getriebe Guy said:
I had a 95 12V Auto. Did not miss a beat. I changed the tranny fluid and filter every 20K miles and did not have a lick of a problem. In stock form it was great. I did need to watch the tranny heat towing heavy and in the mountains. Also careful towing in OD. A lot people burned up the OD clutches in them.

I sold it to get one of the last of the non major emmisions diesel trucks. I got an 07 5.9.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've got to 2nd the 6.2/6.5 in a caprice/lesabre/pariesanne or roadmaster if you're at all mechanically inclined and looking for a project. These were available with a 5.7 diesel so that would be the perfect donor car. Put a TH-400 (or 4L80E kit) and a 12 bolt rear end with 3.08's and some 235/75/15's and you'll have a nice tow vehicle that will do very well on mileage when you're not towing (mid/high 20's). Everything should pretty much bolt in (being GM).

If you're not looking for such a project - seek out a 6.2/6.5 suburban or older Dodge 5.9 with extended cab.