96 Jetta ignition switch will not turn

Iltis

TDI
1996 TD GL
Wednesday after I already driven my Jetta to and from work, I decide to head out again. When I put the key in ignition it did not want to turn,

1) I tried moving the steering wheel and as far as some of the lights turning on, in no way will it allow me to go far enought to start it.
2) The alarm started to chime away (Did not know what it sounded like before) not very loud. So I am thinking it's a security issue.

NOTE: This vehicle did incur damaged (Driver side) before I purchased it, and of course the key that came with it is not an original VW key. It only opens the driver door and supposed to turn engine on. It will not work on trunk and passenger side door (A real pain in the butt) (probably the original locks on that side).

I guess when the repairs were completed they made a new key, but never to match all locks. I wonder if all of a sudden this key is not recognized.

Am I making any sense here?

Please any help out there? I was looking at other areas of the forum, but they are not exactly what has happened to me.

John

Last edited:

Iltis

TDI
1996 TD GL
Got no clue

No info available for the problem above? or am I just asking a question that has been answered on the Board before?
I am going to tow the vehicle to a small car place on Monday (Actually a one man VW shop) and see what he thinks.

John:confused:

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
I think you've stumped the panel.
Sounds like it may be a dirty switch or a broken lock. I can't tell you how to take it apart. Would if I knew how. Lock tumblers usually come out with the key and a paper clip. Turn key backward and push the wire clip into the little hole. Pull on key and tumbler comes out.
You might try shooting a little penetrating oil into the lock through the hole at the edge of the face plate.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
There isn't a security issue with a 96 B4 that I've ever heard of. The key/lock is just not matched. I assume these did work in the past?

Go to a locksmith. No immo's in the B4 unless it's aftermarket.

And immos work in a different way (key turns, engine starts, then cuts out after 1 second or so).

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
While I suspect it is really part of the steering wheel lock issue, I would start with a locksmith. They also should be your first stop for getting all the locks keyed the same.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No immobilizer on the '96 Jetta sold in North America, so that is not your problem. Besides, immo will not inhibit the key from turning or starting the engine, it just won't let they engine STAY running.

You have an ignition lock cylinder problem, and possibly a melted switch. Both quite common.

Iltis

TDI
1996 TD GL
Thank you

I was suggested to go to this website, soon after I picked up my used Jetta, so I want to thank each of "oilhammer", "Joe_Meehan", "rdkern", and "Long_Range" for showing me I made the right choice.

Since the Mechanic could not see me today, I will have a locksmith look at it to start.

John

Iltis

TDI
1996 TD GL
working again

After an amazing amount of flip flopping and hoping to see the local mechanic and the locksmith, It turns out that the local mechanic (where I had to tow car to) figured out that it was the the starter switch and key cylinder (oilhammer you were dead on) he had it changed ASAP, and away I went. Now the locksmith will match all to one key (I hope).

John