New Audi A6 Avant debuts with 313hp 3.0 TDI

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
New TDI Engine: 313 horsepower V6 TDI

Audi unveiled the A6 Avant today and along came the long-awaited 313 horsepower two stage twin-turbo 3 liter V6 TDI with 313 horsepower. Haven't seen torque figures yet but I expect something around 469 lb-ft.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the new Avant will be coming to America and I don't see the twin-turbo replacing the singly turbo V6 TDI in the states either. My best guess is that I could come on the A8 if that gets a TDI.

http://killwithfire.blogspot.com/2011/05/2012-audi-a6-avant.html

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
Don't get too excited guys, the US is NOT getting the Avant. If the article in Automobile magazine is correct, like so many other cars available in a wagon in Europe, the US is only getting the sedan version of the new A6. Audi is joining BMW on the bandwagon of thinking that we only want SUVs and crossovers.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Anybody knows what's the percentage of wagon sales for the last generation A6 in North America? In Germany the wagon accounts for 75% of A6 sales.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
When will this be available for the US market? Or is it just another european only production..

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
The North American market sales number's for wagons by Germany's finest is hardly compeling. My dailey driver of ten years was a MY95.5 Audi UrS6 wagon - one of the great's. Audi USA imported less than 450 UrS6 wagons that year as the freakin USA Audi dealership couldn't sell a $50K wagon with a manual. Horse's behind I tells ya...

The UrS6 wagon with a 993tt/A8 brake upgrade and an RS2 manifold to name a few of the enhancements made the S6 a uber stealth ski wagon for Colorado.

Audi USA are you listening.... just think you could prolly sell at least 500 Avants...
IIRC, the MY2005 Audi Allroad products carried $7,500 each in trunk money so to intice the NA Audi dealership's to buy. I almost bought/ordered a 4.2 Allroad but without forced induction I choked. (the 2.7tt V6 by that time had the bad reputaion for turbo issues - ever see the out of warranty cost when the turbo blows? Remember the turbos oil spewing damage is up stream of the exhaust cat's etc. $10 grand is not uncommon.)

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Avants...
IIRC, the MY2005 Audi Allroad products carried $7,500 each in trunk money so to intice the NA Audi dealership's to buy. I almost bought/ordered a 4.2 Allroad but without forced induction I choked. (the 2.7tt V6 by that time had the bad reputaion for turbo issues - ever see the out of warranty cost when the turbo blows? Remember the turbos oil spewing damage is up stream of the exhaust cat's etc. $10 grand is not uncommon.)
Kelly Moss here in Madison fixes a lot of these. The most cost effective way to fix the twin turbos is to drop the transmission.....For the really buggered you can mod them and tune them to 500 hp at the wheels without a lot of issue. Their master tech has a 98' A4Q with thins motor in it....don't get into a drag race......

I'd kill to have one of these and would ante up in a second the $60K for one.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd kill to have one of these and would ante up in a second the $60K for one.
+1 agreed, however we both know north of $60K is more like it as today's pallet of options accumulate quickly.

Make mine Daytona Grey metallic over the best black leather, badge delete, a couple of leather enhancement options, sport seats, nice wood interior trip (recalling the late '60s Country Squire exterior wood trim) HO 3.0 TDI w/7sp DSG, vector quattro drive, sport suspension, all the telematic / hifi options, third row seating for the kiddies-this way they can wave to passing cars whlst holding tippy cups...

Yea... another ROW Audi... Any interior shots?

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the new Avant will be coming to America
As usual.

Maybe we should have a separate forum for TDI News for North America, and one for the rest of the world. That way we wouldn't have to be tormented with stuff we can't get.

When we want to get depressed, we can visit the TDI News for outside of North America and see all the wonderful things that we'll never have.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I don't think there are any more Audi wagons coming to America apart from an Allroad A4 rig. The SUV movement has taken over and become America's sweetheart !

My local dealer said they were lucky if the got two A6 wagons the entire year.

Euro wagons rock! Period :)

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
When hearing of Audi's plans for a Allroad A4 for N. America I can't but recall their former tag line "Leed, Never follow. .....

We'll see just how the Audi sales accumulate for their Subaru Outback wanna be Allroad A4. Some would argue AMCs high riding wagons of the '70s blazed the marketing trail... I'm just saying.

The Subaru Outback owner's who moves up to the Audi product are in for a reliability surprise. Our MY05 Outback XT LTD while a mundain vehicle to be sure has been gawd dam bullet proof; 64k miles over 6 six years and the only repair has been a left rear axle bearing. I'd import a Japan domestic market only Bilstein BTS suspension kit to resolve the Outback's crappy suspension. And still miles ahead $$$. Its a luv hate relationship with our turbo 4x4 Outback uber utility ski wagon - however don't under estimate the lure of reliability.

Last edited:

1TDI4Me

TDI
'01 Jetta (sold, but missed) '12 Jetta TDI 6sp Malone and Rawtech, '13 Golf DSG (SOLD!)
The Subaru Outback owner's who moves up to the Audi product are in for a reliability surprise.

Then... you anticipate a Less-than-Stellar maintenance/repair record for the Audi? ;)

I do wish I could plunk down $60K on one of these and feel secure that I wouldn't get to know the service manager at the local dealership well enough to get invited to his daughter's wedding. Given a 100K mi waranty or better I'd likely order one.

Oh, well. Just dreamin' anyways since I'll only get to see one if I visit Europe next year.

EVO&TDI

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
If it were ever offered here, the best way around the dealer stocking issue is European delivery as your car does not go against your dealer's allotment count.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Avant

We already have a Avant like car in USA. It is BMW 335d. The demise of Avant, if introduced in USA, would be no brainer. When you can buy a Korean car for less than half of Avant price in USA (about $60k), you know there will be very few buyers. Very few people are looking for performance. A common Joe is more interested in the utility of a vehicle because he know how hard it is to earn money, specially during recession. So an Avant is a museum piece. Even I don't see a huge market in Europe where most of the people are broke or barely surviving. Further, with diesel price much higher than gas, this car would not be appealing, just like to current BMW 335d or Sprinter van or Mercedes Bluetec. Audi should put these technology in $18-$20k vehicle price range in USA if it wants to increase its market share. Right now, VW sales is even less that Korean cars which came to USA much later. I recall the last stastics showed VW sales at less than 3%. The reason for this is simple: the selling price.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
We already have a Avant like car in USA. It is BMW 335d...
Unless I am mistaking my understanding of names used for European cars, an Avant is basicly a station wagon. We do not have a BMW diesel wagon in the US.

While I really like the 335d, it is over powered and over priced for me. Same with the Mercedes E350 BlueTec. I adore both cars, but just can't pry my wallet that far open.

If they would just bring the Audi A4 with the 170hp 2.0 TDI I would be happy...:p

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
Unless I am mistaking my understanding of names used for European cars, an Avant is basicly a station wagon. We do not have a BMW diesel wagon in the US.

While I really like the 335d, it is over powered and over priced for me. Same with the Mercedes E350 BlueTec. I adore both cars, but just can't pry my wallet that far open.

If they would just bring the Audi A4 with the 170hp 2.0 TDI I would be happy...:p
I agree. As awesome as the 335d is, I don't need one. But a 320d, or 323d Touring (wagon), I'd order today.... if BMW would just sell them here.

TexasTodd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I wish other manufacturers would get with it on the transmissions. The most common mistake I see across all US models is lack of tall enough gears to take full advantage of the engine torque at highway speeds. I've yet to be in one that didn't need AT LEAST one more gear on top.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I wish other manufacturers would get with it on the transmissions. The most common mistake I see across all US models is lack of tall enough gears to take full advantage of the engine torque at highway speeds. I've yet to be in one that didn't need AT LEAST one more gear on top.
You apparently haven't driven a Corvette built since 1992. :D

Other manufacturers are starting to get the hint as well. A rental Camry I had recently turned ~2,000 RPM at 70 MPH in 6th gear. The Chevy Cruze Eco has a tall 6th gear as well. Honda has recently made the gearing taller in the Accord and Civic.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
New Audi Q5 and sister Porsche Cajun to get potent V6 TDI!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=257508

Audi will provide Porsche with its Q5 platform and hot new V6 twin-turbodiesel for the latter’s new baby Cajun off-roader as part of deepening ties between the two VW Group members.

The tie-up is designed to align the two brands more closely, saving R&D and component costs.

The first Audi model to get the 309bhp, 479lb ft 3.0-litre V6 diesel will be this new range-topping version of the facelifted Q5, due early next year (pictured).

See the spy pics of the facelifted Audi Q5

Among the Audi models earmarked to receive 
the new diesel engine are the A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8 and Q7, according to Axel Eisner, Audi’s head of engine development.

He denied speculation that the motor will underpin a new line of diesel-powered S models, but admitted that work is also progressing on a twin-turbocharged four-cylinder oil-burner.
That's more than 100 hp/l on a stock engine that meets emissions! Of course, the question now turns to will we see any such hotted up diesel in the U.S.?

Not holding my breath.

I'll take this engine in an S5, thanks.