Static noise from dash

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Hey. Intermittently I can hear a radio static sound coming from the dash, I think to the left of the steering wheel column, but I’m unsure if that is really where it is coming from. It may be when the vehicle is in a specific area of my town. Interestingly, adjusting the volume of my radio has zero effect on the noise which makes me wonder, what could it possibly be. I don’t have navigation in the vehicle but I do know that my clock is set by the car and always dead on so maybe it’s still following GPS. I don’t notice any other odd behaviors from the car when the noise can be heard. Any ideas what causes the noise?

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
Now it seems to be getting more frequent and doesn't matter my location. VCDS shows nothing new. Using BlueTooth or not doesn't seem to matter either.

windcr8zy

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Are you sure it's coming from a speaker? I've had a static-sounding rattle come from behind the instrument cluster or steering column from time to time. It's annoying as hell, but I've never been able to locate the cause.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I have a similar (maybe the same?) issue with a static like sound coming from my A pillar. However, I still get the sound with the radio off. So it must be somethng rattling around in the A pillar. I found a really nice guide detailing A pillar cover disassembly here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33171
Have not tried to fix it yet though.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure it's coming from a speaker? I've had a static-sounding rattle come from behind the instrument cluster or steering column from time to time. It's annoying as hell, but I've never been able to locate the cause.
It’s not from the speaker I don’t think. I can adjust the volume and turn off Bluetooth and make other changes to the radio and the static sound seems unaffected. My sound doesn’t sound like a rattle, but your description of the location seems spot on.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a similar (maybe the same?) issue with a static like sound coming from my A pillar. However, I still get the sound with the radio off. So it must be somethng rattling around in the A pillar. I found a really nice guide detailing A pillar cover disassembly here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33171
Have not tried to fix it yet though.
I’ve had the A pillar disassembled months ago to route a power cord for my radar detector. I don’t recall anything in there that would make noise like static.