Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I have a tentative deal on an All track .

Also test drove both GTI and Golf R and although they were nice cars , they were not practical for my needs .

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Yes, the stage 1 fix for Generation 3 TDI engines is already available in Canada.

ry8ue

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Dealing with a sales rep at the dealer? So you negotiated the out the door price for the new car based on what FMV is on your car today, and hoping the FMV in the offer is close enough?
Feel free to decline sharing details, but I would like to know a bit more about how you put a deal together! My local lot has a couple '16 Highline on the lot I might be interested in (HI guys and gals at the dealer if you are listening in. Make me a deal...).
Sorry, forgot to mention that my car is leased so it's pretty straight forward for the TDI return. As far as I am concerned, it's two separate transactions.
Basically, I walked in and told them that I'm looking to buy a Golf R to replace my TDI once the Settlement is finalized. They had a few on the lot and allowed me to take it out for a test drive. We negotiated on the price afterwards ($2K+ off MSRP), and I signed the paperwork & put a $1K deposit down to hold the car until the TDI is ready to be turned in. If the Settlement changes, then they'll refund my deposit should something change after March 31st.
A few other dealers also offered to hold a car on a deposit, but I was able to get the biggest discount here. I spoke to about 5 dealerships in the GTA.

ry8ue

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Car on the lot vs. ordered will make a huge different ... I am not sure there's many Golf R's on lots in Canada or even US. In that case, I cannot see a dealer taking a chance in case you don't like your final FMV offer.

Ry8ue .... So who is on the hook for the new ordered car? ... in case you want out of the deal?
There seems to be an influx of Golf R's on the lots. I believe the 2017 Golf R production has come to an end, likely a final buy for the dealers because I've never seen so many out there. By many, I mean each dealer has at least a couple.

My TDI is leased. I'm on the hook for the new car once the TDI is returned, if something should go sideways with the Settlement, then they'll refund my $1K deposit should I decide that I want to change plans.

My goal here was to secure a Golf R for the day that I return the TDI.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Yes, the stage 1 fix for Generation 3 TDI engines is already available in Canada.
I have seen anecdotal reports of customer feedback for US owners of Gen 3 engines having had the Stage 1 fix but haven't seen similarly for Canadians :confused:.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have a tentative deal on an All track .
Seems to be the only shining light for VW right now. The rising star, for the moment ... so expect them to be pretty stingy with discounts, because right now they sell every single one they can get. Perhaps it has something to do with US buy-backers being ahead of us ....

I like the car myself, but the problem was, no used market obviously ... and brand new is way above the line what I was willing to spend.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
A couple of stock # on them is a duplicate ... perhaps an Excel typo, but anyway ...

VW Canada sells about 100 GTI's a month ... I have a hard time believing that even more expensive version of Golf would generate higher sales than that. And even if the did, still 37 in stock by one dealer??? Wow .... I guess everyone wants to drive Golf R in Georgetown .... perhaps it is a hotbed of Golf R's? I had no idea ...

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There seems to be an influx of Golf R's on the lots. I believe the 2017 Golf R production has come to an end, likely a final buy for the dealers because I've never seen so many out there. By many, I mean each dealer has at least a couple.
My TDI is leased. I'm on the hook for the new car once the TDI is returned, if something should go sideways with the Settlement, then they'll refund my $1K deposit should I decide that I want to change plans.
My goal here was to secure a Golf R for the day that I return the TDI.

OK. That makes sense, since all the R's seem to be on the lots by now. I had no idea about the end production.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Seems to be the only shining light for VW right now. The rising star, for the moment ... so expect them to be pretty stingy with discounts, because right now they sell every single one they can get. Perhaps it has something to do with US buy-backers being ahead of us ....

I like the car myself, but the problem was, no used market obviously ... and brand new is way above the line what I was willing to spend.

I actually got $1400.00 off with car cost canada .

The Golf R and GTI no discounts .

Baba O'Riley

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6-sp
I am not asking you to look for me but I don't see such posts.
?? Not sure what you mean :confused:
You will have to scroll around, but there are quite a few posts.

Some having no issues, others experiencing reduced mileage. Probably more results on the US TDI forum. Same fix for both countries.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
TDI Night

This was in an email I received from my local dealer in Orillia Ontario.

Another fishing trip maybe but I can't go.

TDI Settlement Information Night

Dear ______,
Volkswagen is hosting a TDI Settlement Information Night to review the settlement and claims process with those effected by the nationwide Volkswagen 2.0-Litre TDI (Diesel) Emissions Class Action Settlement in Canada.
Please join us as this information pertains to your TDI vehicle.
Also, please bring your VIN number, current mileage, notebook & pen.

Regards,

General Manager

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Golf Rs are actually really common on the west coast and hard to keep in stock, so I imagine a lot of those are headed over here.

The mk7 1.8T makes stage 2 MK6 GTI power with a high flow downpipe and a tune. I'm sure a lot of diesel owners will swap to that platform, we'll be ready ;)

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Golf Rs are actually really common on the west coast and hard to keep in stock, so I imagine a lot of those are headed over here.

The mk7 1.8T makes stage 2 MK6 GTI power with a high flow downpipe and a tune. I'm sure a lot of diesel owners will swap to that platform, we'll be ready ;)
There's tons of them sitting on dealer lots. Cowell has 22 and Regency has 19, and others have double digits as well.

Last edited:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
That's what I call stingy discount on a 40K OTD car ... :) ... borderline Subaru.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! So true... No such thing as dealing in a Subaru dealership.:(

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
What do you think can I trade in my dieselgate TDi 2012 Golf at an Audi dealer for the buyback?
Interesting question ! I would like to find out if that is possible. I am looking at A4 (if trade of my Passat 2014 is accepted) or take the $$ and go for a 328d
Cheers

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
A few other dealers also offered to hold a car on a deposit, but I was able to get the biggest discount here. I spoke to about 5 dealerships in the GTA.
According to the calculator we would receive $26000 for our 2015 GSW. That amount + $7000) giving us $33000.
How much more would we need to obtain a 2017 R?
How much more would we need to obtain a 2017 GTI?

Last edited:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
You can take the car and have the update done before the settlement program rolls out and that does not affect your options.
But if you wait to get it done until after the settlement program rolls out, then you are assumed to have taken the fix option of the settlement, therefore eliminating the buyback or trade in options.
But the date for this settlement program roll out has not yet been revealed?
How much lead time do you think one will have to say do the UPDATE knowing this important date?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
This sounds gloomy. Most likely where I will be heading in a few weeks.
Not trying to bash the brand, in fact I love the Forester. Sat in a 2017 Forester Limited at the Cdn Intl Auto show last month. Really roomy inside, comfortable great visibility. Just find salespeople to be unmotivated, kinda like " you don't want it, there's another dozen people in line that'll it take it at MSRP". Just my .02....

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I love the Forester. Sat in a 2017 Forester Limited at the Cdn Intl Auto show last month. Really roomy inside, comfortable great visibility.
I would have got a Forester instead of our 2015 GSW except that one is very limited in trim options if one is purchasing the 6 speed MT.

Last edited:

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not trying to bash the brand, in fact I love the Forester. Sat in a 2017 Forester Limited at the Cdn Intl Auto show last month. Really roomy inside, comfortable great visibility. Just find salespeople to be unmotivated, kinda like " you don't want it, there's another dozen people in line that'll it take it at MSRP". Just my .02....
If you look at Subaru's growth and sales figure of late, you will understand why ... they don't need to give discounts to move cars, especially Forester and Outback

Forester and Outback are decent cars in my opinion ... but, they are expensive and the do feel like cars made by engineers first designer's second (this approach has pros and cons sometimes one is not willing to live with). Their interior is still behind most cars with the same budget and I found their seats to be quite terrible even in limited trim. Even the driver's side was just so flat that it felt like sitting in a bus or cargo van. Just cannot get the seat to point in the right angle.

On the other hand, the dealer I was dealing with, was quite open to go dealer's invoice + 5% (or something reasonable, which 5% in their situation really is).

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
What do you think can I trade in my dieselgate TDi 2012 Golf at an Audi dealer for the buyback?
Somewhere it was said ... yes you can. Easiest is to call an Audi dealer of your choice and ask.

I still somewhat think, that you'd be better off to get your cash from VW and then decide where you go with it. The trade-in in my view unnecessarily ties you in a direction you might find in the end troubling.